Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 6+

Votes: 16 9.8%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Much of the time I pocket carry, with the LC9s my primary carry gun. But sometimes I just throw the 642 into my pocket in a Desantis Nemesis holster. The 5 rounds is limiting, but the reliability and ease of concealment make it a gun that I would never get rid of. And now I have added a Glock 26 to my carry guns. Its too thick for easy pocket carry, but when I have both a t-shirt and an outer shirt, untucked, and switch to an OWB holster, the Glock is just fine. It is totally reliable, like any Glock, and with 11 round total it is a good alternative to the Lc9s. I basically like them all and have an irregular "rotation" even if I really know that I would be better off keeping to just one concealed carry, all of the time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I'm lounging around the House, or a quick trip to the store I carry my Colt new Model Cobra Revolver loaded with Gold Dot 135 +P ammo.
When I'm taking longer trips interstate, I usually pack my Glock 26 with 124 +P Gold Dots.
Sometimes as I feel necessary to, I carry an NAA Guardian 380 with SIG V Crown Ammo.
As you will note all of these guns are DAO, with no external safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Guns are inherently dangerous and if they weren't then what good would they be. The fundamental rules of firearm safety do not change from one platform to another and whatever you carry you should be familiar with it, accurate and able to use it.
After 50 years of shooting I have heard the one gun carry advise from many other shooters. It is Probably good advise, however there are some people who over time become Proficient with several different Handgun Platforms, just as some Musicians become Proficient with several different Instruments.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,894 Posts
After 50 years of shooting I have heard the one gun carry advise from many other shooters. It is Probably good advise, however there are some people who over time become Proficient with several different Handgun Platforms, just as some Musicians become Proficient with several different Instruments.
Yeah, but let's see them play well while someone is shooting at them. LOL :D

All joking aside, that's actually an apt analogy. There may be stress of performing on stage, but usually not tunnel vision, the metallic taste in your mouth when your adrenaline surges, selective hearing, etc. unless a person is really susceptible to stage fright -- in which case they may have picked the wrong career.

If a person is going to carry multiple guns my humble advice would be to avoid mixing safety types. E.g. if your cargo shorts pocket carry is an LCP, I'd suggest an LC9s Pro as the larger version of it. Or a .380 Glock as the counterpart to a larger bedside table Glock. Etc. etc.

My first shotgun at age 12 was a Remington 870. I love my break actions with tang safeties, and my Beretta autoloaders are much better guns - but their safety in front of the trigger guard is not burned into my mind like the layout of the 870 is. The 870 design has been with me through decades of high adrenaline situations like a pheasant exploding out of the grass by my feet when least expected, or pursuing a flock of turkeys up and down steep canyons.

I will never keep any other sort of shotgun near me at night. You could startle me awake at 2:00 am and I would know the feel and function of an 870 in pitch blackness.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,760 Posts
Guns are inherently dangerous and if they weren't then what good would they be. The fundamental rules of firearm safety do not change from one platform to another and whatever you carry you should be familiar with it, accurate and able to use it.
Hence my love for DA revolvers. Always the same manual of arms. I only train DA, too. The only time I have shot them SA has been to dispatch Copperheads.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,270 Posts
My carry government model 1911s are all the same. I have carried a government model 1911 off and on since 1963. My Sig P938 pocket carry pistols are miniature 1911s with the thumb-safety. My thumb also wipes off the safety on any of the revolvers or Glock style pistols that I carry.

I would never carry a handgun with a safety that works opposite to a 1911 with safe down and fire up. I would never carry a handgun with a safety in a different position on the gun.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I voted (3) but two of them are the same brand, just different cosmetically. So I suppose the correct answer is (2). One conceals a little better than the (2 same ones) do, so even though I don't enjoy shooting it as much as I do the others, it does get carried AND practiced with.

A lot of years ago I carried a revolver. Now it is semi-autos only because my fingers are no longer strong enough to pull a DA trigger on a revolver as regularly or often as is needed to stay proficient. And a "real" revolver (all steel) weighs more.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,894 Posts
I would never carry a handgun with a safety that works opposite to a 1911 with safe down and fire up. I would never carry a handgun with a safety in a different position on the gun.
Yes. Very smart. ^^^^

That’s why my wife and I sold her Ruger SR-22. Fun gun, but I didn’t want her shooting a gun that is “backwards” of everything else we own.

We traded it off and we now own his-and-hers matching Walther PPS carry gun. All the handguns in our house are no-safety handguns now. Either revolvers or striker-fired pistols without a safety.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Yes. Very smart. ^^^^

That’s why my wife and I sold her Ruger SR-22. Fun gun, but I didn’t want her shooting a gun that is “backwards” of everything else we own.

We traded it off and we now own his-and-hers matching Walther PPS carry gun. All the handguns in our house are no-safety handguns now. Either revolvers or striker-fired pistols without a safety.
I never liked the idea of the SR22 having a reverse safety, since I carried a LC9S with a safety and trained constantly to use one. But I got rid of the LC9S, just too dangerous with the insanely light trigger.
Moved to DAO and never looked back. And for myself there is nothing better for EDC in a firearm than a smooth, controlled, deliberate DAO like the Kahr, Nano, Beretta Carry which are striker fired DAO.
I know of people carrying the LC9S Pro and, well each to his own. I do shoot the SR22 for training, point and shoot skills so the safety is a moot issue on the gun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Agreeing on the 'reverse safety' (IE European/Switch UP to fire) is absolute garbage. Ruins training and muscle memory. Last thing you want to do is forget/fumble which way makes it go 'bang'. Aside from that, I don't believe it's as intuitive or natural of a motion as the downward sweep on a 1911 (western style) safety.

My first handgun was a P22 CA which features such a device - as well as the super super aggravating magazine disconnect. A combination that makes sure that it rarely sees use these days.

I like to store my pistols with the hammer down when not in use (IE loaded or being carried). The magazine disconnect makes it so once you remove the empty magazine and clear the weapon, if you want to put the hammer down you must re-insert the magazine into the weapon - which means it's potentially hot while you're putting down the hammer if you weren't careful (You were careful, weren't you? Better double check...). While there is a loaded chamber indicator on the pistol, I don't consider it a replacement for a proper visual and tactile inspection of the chamber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I rotate between a G26, a Sig 239 and a Sig 320cRX. As I get older and eyesight degrades I’m shooting more and more red dot and plan to have an RMR slide milling done on the G26 and add the RMR2. At that point I’ll stop carrying the 239.

And both pistols will have BUIS.

·
Sky Marshal
184 Posts
I have 4 in my rotation. From largest to smallest:
Ruger P89DAO
S&W 6946 (also a DAO)
S&W 3914DAO (seeing a pattern here?)
Ruger LCR in .38

All guns are DAO and none has a safety or decocker. I like DAO with external hammers as I can ride the hammer with my thumb when holstering, an extra margin of safety.

I can get away with the P89 for CCW as long as it's cool enough to wear jeans and an untucked button down shirt. I'm 6'3" and 300lbs, so it disappears on me.

The only thing I need to still work on is to get the sights on the guns to have the same aim points. They're all good left to right, but they all shoot a little different high to low.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I voted "1." Let me be specific. I carry two of the same gun- a brace of Ruger Super GP100's in .357 magnum. I keep one for left hand, one for right hand. They stay that way. Yes, I can use both at the same time. alternating timing, and sometimes, targets, if targets are human sized, and within twenty feet. Having two heavy revolvers, three pounds each- empty, with 8 rounds each in full moon clips, gives me lots of options. I've always carried two guns. My last set, two Sig Sauer P226 TACOPS, with 20rd magazines- total without reloading, 42 rds, all up.

More is better. Accuracy is best.

I am not disrespecting semi-auto fans. Carried 'em for years. Now at 70, I don't have to follow anybody's protocols. I only need to please myself, as to weapons and ammo. That's why I still carry two guns of the same type, with the same ammo. For me, revolvers meet my needs, wants, and requirements.

Accuracy and range- the longer barreled GP100's, 5.5" to 6", are capable of hitting a pack of cigarettes atop a fence post at 100 yards. Likewise, with proper ammo, harvest deer up to 125 yards. There may be semi-autos that can do that, but are they concealed carry capable, as in with ease, like a GP100?

Reliability and durability. The GP100 series of revolvers is robust, strong, durable, and to belabor the point, more accurate than most semi-autos. The newer, more specialized GP100's can utilize moon clips, for rapid extraction and loading- and with practice, be as fast as reloading a semi-auto. Revolvers are the original "point and click" interface between man and his targets. It does not take repetitive, intensive, speciallized training to be adequate to the task of self-defense... Semi-autos consume more time and resources, to gain, and maintain, combat efficiency.

Specialization and variety of ammo. Revolvers don't worry about recoil or blow-back to cycle the weapon, in order to continue firing. Semi-autos are limited. There is a wide range of ammo available, for most calibers of revolver- far greater, than semi-autos. Look at the calibers, bullet weights, muzzle velocities, SAAMI pressures, and bullet designs and metalurgy, found in the bullets that are available today.

Clearly, semi-autos have a few benefits revolvers don't have. Ability to effectively use suppressors. High capacity magazines. Sustained volume of fire.

That's why I carry one type of handgun, two of the same, one for each hand.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I assume you wear a 10 gallon hat, spurs and chaps. What do you do if both revolvers are knocked out of your hands? No third gun tucked in the small of your back? Maybe a Derringer in your boot? Seriously, you have the right to carry as many guns as you want to carry, but it does seem either odd or overkill to me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I should have said two instead of three, myself. I carry either my S&W 637 Airweight or 60 stainless classic, both with the same loads, Winchester 110gr STHP, or Hornady 110gr FTX. For the deep coat pocket and more capacity, my SCCY CPX-2 with Hornady 115gr FTX. All double action.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,318 Posts
Ruger SR9C with ambidextrous safety (I’m a lefty)
Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact with grip safety only. Once I get more familiar with it, the SR9C will take a backseat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just the one. Glock 42. It replaced my LC9 a few years ago and I've never looked back.
Thats a fine shooting handgun!
The .380 is a great gun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 97 Posts