Ruger Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
The number of magazines depends on the purpose of the firearm. Just one for an old .22 for nostalgia that will see few rounds and a used magazine is $70 each. Over a dozen of tge magazines used in the 10/22, Charger, other NX-1 compliant firearm platforms.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Funny I just saw this thread, I was emptying a cabinet as part of a safe moving task and was laughing at the piles of mags, never too many. All my pistols have from 2-6 depending on use. Some don't need extras, some need a lot. Hunting rifles if magazine equipped around 3 each but I never use them. I haven't used over 5 rounds on the last 4 Elk, less on the deer! Minis (14&30) about a half dozen or more each in various capacities. AR and AK--dozens. 1911s at least a dozen but I know there are more around here.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Well, since we're playing again:

Ruger LCP II .380 - 6
Ruger LCP II .22lr - 5
Glock 26 - 7
Glock 48 - 8
SCCY CPX-3 - 5

·
Registered
307 Posts
handguns, I try to keep 4-5 for each gun, my Mini 14, I think I am up to 8 or 10 20 rounders, my bolt action savage I have 2 for because they're expensive, Mosin Nagant and SKS each only have one HA HA, 10/22's I have a lot...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Tricky question in my case. I moved last year from NJ to SC. I have a mix of 10 round, 15 round and full size (depending on firearm). I might have 3 different sizes for the same firearm, e.g. a Glock 17 might have 10 round, 15 round and 17 round magazines. Do I count them all the same?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
30 for my ARs, 10 for my Mini 14, 6 for my Canik 9mm I think 10 for the 1911s. In other words not enough.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Lets see Outdoor Life, Handloader, American Rifleman, oops you meant ammo magazines. Well 2-8 round magazines, 50 8 round clips, 2- 5 round magazines, 3- 10 round magazines for various guns .

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had someone on another forum (or maybe it was here) asking a similar question, but put differently.. How much ammo would you expend if you were in a SHTF situation, and hold up in your attic... I got to thinking... You're not gonna be able to reload mags in a panic emergency situation... So if you think of it that way, say you're hold up in your attic, and have a mini 14, and two 20 round magazines, a shotgun loaded with 5 rounds, and a handgun with say 30 rounds in 2 mags...

That is your contingency... Once someone comes up the stairs and you start blasting, once you're out, you're not reloading those mags... You've either stopped the threat, or your dead.

So how many mags do you need?

I have about 10 for my Mini 14- thats 200 rounds at the ready (assuming i can get to it). Handguns, 4-5 mags each. IF i fealt a threat was imminent, I would load all my mags for all my guns, load all my shotguns, all my lever guns, and it would be a lot of shooting before I was out if I shot all my ammo in all my guns... Not practical, but if I had to retreat to my attic, with all my guns loaded, there would have to be a large threat coming up those stairs. after the first few fell on the stairs, they'd have to pull bodies out to keep coming - I have a narrow stairwell. Course they could just burn the house down I guess... that would be a last resort- Guess I need a rescue ladder in my attic -

·
Sky Marshal
184 Posts
Most of my handguns are old school, and factory magazines are only available used (except for the P89)... SO, I pick them up when I find a good deal. Numbers range from 4 to 10.
Rifles are still in production, and mags are plentiful, at least for now. I pick up a few every now and then to build my stock.

How many do I need? Depends.
a. One more than I currently have now.
b. Enough to get me on the news.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,578 Posts
Not enough! Although we have enough for all of our firearms the trick for us is to keep at ready what we may need to assist with a event in case some need comes up. The past decade or two I have learned to be well supplied in case of a jam and or a emergency no matter where I am at.
*Currently now for the range I take x8 Mark III 22/45 mags, x8 EC9s mags, x5+ SR22 mags, x5 SR9E mags and x6+ AR mags. Have multiple strips and re-loaders for the 38's and LCRx 22LR to work on drills. (more 1911 mags than I care to say!) Capacity varies depending on environment, firearms working with and location.
*Like crankymotorsport stated for me it is "So how many mags do you need?" I do need to get more and possibly a escape ladder now that he brought that issue up.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts