Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to start anything or talk trash about an AR. I know they're good guns, but they just don't light my fire, so to speak. :confused: It seems just about everyone is an AR fan, I just wanted to see how many folks here on RF are like me and not turned on by an AR at all.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
In my case age is part of it... At 70, I look back on a lot of wooden stocks in my life. My Military time paired me with an M1 Garand, M2 Carbine, and 1897 Shotgun. My only 'modern' style weapon is a Saiga (AK) shotgun...fun, but not the center of my armory.

Almost gave in on a Bushmaster carbine recently but the bids moved a bit to fast for me, so I let it go.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
As a mid-20 yo, definitely a fan of AR, FAL, HK91 type or newer (SCAR, FS2000), anything of that similar type. I am not against, but I am not a 1911 fan! If I wanted 8 rounds, Ill get a .357 ;)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
Got a lot of guns in my safe but AR-15s are not one of them.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I love Ar's. It does seem like it is mostly younger guys that are fans of them though. That doesn't mean I don't like a nice wood stocked rifle, I just prefer the tactical stuff.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have to say i wouldn't mind owning one, because the can be dang accurate and have so many mod's, but i honestly don't get that excited over them. And i'm 19 so age isn't a factor here either! I guess i just don't like the fact that a top of the line, over-built tough as nails AR looks pretty much the same as a low end budget gun. Don't get me wrong, i have built two of them and know they are tough and relyable as any rifle, they just don't trip my trigger, at least not to the point of owning more than one. But i don't have any prejudice against "black" rifles or the folks who use them, in fact it think it would be fun to hunt with one someday just to further justify owning one when i can afford my own.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm not an AR fan. It isn't that I dislike them, they just don't get me excited. I love wood, but even a classic looking bolt action with polymer stock is OK. (I have one of those.) And I wouldn't mind owning an M14, but that obviously isn't in the same category.

BUT, I am thinking about one of these: Crosman M4-177 Air Rifle 177. :D
(I've got no grandkids yet, but it would be fun for "gramps" to have one of these to teach the grandkids with.)

Who knows, if I get this some day whether I will then be wanting a "real" M4/AR later... But right now, I kind of doubt it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Just don't take my fancy at all.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I wasn't a fan of AR's... until I bought one. That led to my SOCOM 16 which led to my SCAR 17S. Guess you could call it my gateway rifle. But since those three, I've added a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 700 SPS. Maybe I'm going backwards. The next long gun on my list is a Browning Citori. But that will have to wait until next year.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'll always have an AR in my collection. These days it is the SR556, but in the past it has been a few DI type guns. Ammo is relatively cheap, ARs are easy to maintain, there are hundreds of options and accessories for the AR platform, and there are a great many manufacturers turning out a wide variety of AR rifles at all price ranges.

Some people badmouth the AR. Mini-14 guys seem to have an ax to grind for some reason. Some AK lovers also seem particularly anti-AR. Some guys would just rather hold onto a wooden rifle stock. I suppose it is a lot like the old Chevy/Ford/Dodge pissing contests we all used to get into.

Who cares? Shoot what you like.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
ARs never really floated my boat , dont have one nor plan to get one later ,`I m sure there great guns , i like`my wood
Here ya go. Precision Firearms.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I don't dislike them or have anything against them, but I have a few of reasons for not owning one. The first is that I have yet to find a comfortable AR. I've shot a few and handled many, many more and I haven't found one that pulls up to my shoulder and finds its niche easily. That's not to say that I couldn't, but I just haven't. And I figure if something isn't comfortable for me, then it's just going to sit in the cabinet.

The next reason is cost. I know you can find a $600 AR from Walmart or catch a cheap one on sale somewhere, but you really need to put a pretty significant chunk of change down to get yourself into a decent AR with good optics. Heck, a good set of iron flip-up battle sights alone will run you $100. I'm sure if you were really frugal and took your time you could build an AR for $500 with everything you'd ever want on it, but I think there are better 'out of the box' rifles around in the $600 price range. I just bought a Mini 14 Tactical (not the ATI-Stock version) for $600. I couldn't find an 'out of the box' AR that I loved the way I loved the Mini for that price. I did consider spending a few extra bucks on an SR-556 though...

The third and final reason I don't own one of the 'black rifles' is my wife. She's very timid about guns. In fact, she doesn't like them at all. She doesn't mind me having them and doesn't mind me having a shooting hobby, but she's not a fan of it at all. I was discussing AR rifles with a friend at church that shoots a good bit and she got a little weirded out by that gun. More so than others. She is of the understanding that an AR is a fully-automatic assault rifle. I guess she's seen them in movies and on TV and the news and she's just really turned off. I'm pretty much able to own whatever guns I want within reason so I don't want to stir the pot by buying a gun that I don't absolutely love.

I know that ARs are great guns and the SR-556 is a tempting rifle, but for me, it's not something I lust after or look at a whole lot. Seems the whole gun industry has gone tactical and I just prefer stuff that's a little more clean and classic (not wood, necessarily).

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm not trying to start anything or talk trash about an AR. I know they're good guns, but they just don't light my fire, so to speak. :confused: It seems just about everyone is an AR fan, I just wanted to see how many folks here on RF are like me and not turned on by an AR at all.
I have always like them since I shot them in the military. I'm more of a bolt gun fan but just got an AR after wanting one for a few years.

This is close to being a troll thread.

1 - 20 of 431 Posts