Ruger Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Enough for extended firefights in any of a dozen calibers ... but not as much as I’d like.
I would likely outlast the Major, but as he says not enough. I just spent $250 on 10 MM. I need 40 as I have less than 3000 rounds. Fat on 5.56 and Okay on 7.62 x 51. I only have 500 12 gauge, but I am not a shotgun fan. Real fat on 22LR. Okay on 22 Magnum. Fat on 9 MM but the wife shoots a lot of it when she shoots. Okay on 380

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I learned a lesson after Sandy Hook when ammo was hard to find and very expensive.
I probably had only about 100 rounds of .223 and 50 rounds of 9mm and 45 ACP in the house.

In the past 5 years, I've built up my stock to about 2k for each caliber and try to keep it there. If I shoot 150 or 200 rounds at the range, I buy 150 -200 rounds to replace it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Fewer rounds today. I sold my Glock G35 .40 S&W and all of my .40 S&W ammo. I sold my Rock Island .22 TCM and all of the .22 TCM ammo. I sold my AK-47 and all of my 7.62X39mm ammo this week.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,882 Posts
Ok. You guys got me thinking and, yes, I probably will stock up a little more in 2019, but I’m still not going to freak out. In a weird way I was sort of satisfied during the last shortage with how I went back to a more old fashioned and common sense approach toward ammo consumption.

My kids were little and learning to shoot during the Obama shortages, and we adapted by keeping life simple - just like when I was a kid - and started them out with single shot .22s and a single action Ruger Bearcat revolver. I even bought my own full-size single shot .22 to shoot with them (Savage MkI) and it’s probably my favorite rimfire rifle and the one I’d keep if I could only have one.

I grew up using guns as a “sportsman” or “outdoorsman” and never just blasted through ammo for the sake of blasting through ammo. As a kid I walked for miles with a .22 pump, and one magazine tube full of rimfire ammo was always enough to get some rabbits. I’d walk for hours for pheasants and grouse, and a full pump shotgun and 3-4 spare shells in a jeans pocket would be plenty. I also used pellet guns a lot for close range small critters.

In hindsight I’m glad the last shortages forced me to start my kids off the same way. There’s a sort of romance and tradition to learning to shoot like that rather than burning up bricks of rimfire with a semi-auto. I don’t want another shortage but I’m confident in my ability to adapt and still enjoy the hobby while riding out the panic and the political situation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok. You guys got me thinking and, yes, I probably will stock up a little more in 2019, but I’m still not going to freak out. In a weird way I was sort of satisfied during the last shortage with how I went back to a more old fashioned and common sense approach toward ammo consumption.

My kids were little and learning to shoot during the Obama shortages, and we adapted by keeping life simple - just like when I was a kid - and started them out with single shot .22s and a single action Ruger Bearcat revolver. I even bought my own full-size single shot .22 to shoot with them (Savage MkI) and it’s probably my favorite rimfire rifle and the one I’d keep if I could only have one.

I grew up using guns as a “sportsman” or “outdoorsman” and never just blasted through ammo for the sake of blasting through ammo. As a kid I walked for miles with a .22 pump, and one magazine tube full of rimfire ammo was always enough to get some rabbits. I’d walk for hours for pheasants and grouse, and a full pump shotgun and 3-4 spare shells in a jeans pocket would be plenty. I also used pellet guns a lot for close range small critters.

In hindsight I’m glad the last shortages forced me to start my kids off the same way. There’s a sort of romance and tradition to learning to shoot like that rather than burning up bricks of rimfire with a semi-auto. I don’t want another shortage but I’m confident in my ability to adapt and still enjoy the hobby while riding out the panic and the political situation.
Nice post, man, real nice post. I unfortunately don't have anything significant to add to it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Normally, I would have no problem answering the post, as it does not bother me if others know. However, I am now rethinking my position. The Coast Guard Lt. that was just arrested for plotting assassinations, was reported to have several guns and over 1,000 rounds of ammo.

I laughed at the amounts but was amazed at the presses reaction. They acted like that was enough to go to war.

Together with my wife and son, I probably shoot about 1,000 per month. I I buy ammo when its on sale and I reload as a second hobby. Hence, I have acquired a healthy stockpile.

But given the press reaction, I have rethought my cavalier attitude on giving out my number of weapons and rounds. Too many are prone to jump to an assumption that I would use my hobby for a nefarious purpose.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
As far as the liberals and the media are concerned, more than one firearm and one magazine over 10 rounds constitutes an "arsenal" and is a threat to world peace.

Then along comes this clown from the Coast Guard ...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I’ll bite. Over 3,000 in .22lr and over 1,000 in .380. Going to the range on Sunday to reduce these numbers.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts