Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working in private Security for over 20 years now. How many of us are here on the forum.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I did some security for a few years in the 80's. Even some pre-TSA airport screening.

You would be amazed at how many women have handcuffs and adult toys in their bags. Mostly women "forgetting" thay have a handgun, too. Back then they usually only lost the gun and got probation.

Also "guarded" parking garages and a UPS hub. All were third shift, crappy pay and zero benefits.

All were unarmed, too. I would never consider an unarmed security position these days.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I retired from the military and after a short stint as a Police Officer(it just wasnt my cup of tea it seems), Im now a Lt. at a private security firm and do Private Security/Executive Protection. It doesnt pay quiet as well as the former two on a consistent basis but with a retirement check coming in I am better able to afford to do what I WANT to do vs what I HAVE to do. It goes a long ways towards having some piece of mind, besides its a hell of a lot safer too! What kind of a price can you put on that?

I would never consider an unarmed security position these days.
I agree with you there for the most part. These days we live in a pretty wreckless society where violence is hardly an after thought. Its pretty rare these days I dont wear a threat level IIIA vest and carry a 1911 and 4 mags in addition to the one in the gun! You just really never know what you might stumble into or get confronted with. Most criminals hardly distinguish the difference in a "Flashlight Cop" getting paid minimum wage trying to scrape by and a armed Patrol Officer.

Saddly a lot of the Company's I deal with out there dont want armed security guards. Its too much of a liability for them or more than they are willing to deal with. Thats why overall the profession pays so little in most cases. With some of the guys and gals I have hired and or fired I am not so sure I would feel comfortable with many of them being armed anyways. Of the ones I see at the range requalifing, Id be scared if they did draw and fire their weapon! Far too many arent proficient by any means with their weapon and fewer practice enough to ever build that kind of skill. Thats not to say there arent some serious hardcore professionals out there, they are just few and far between. Most company's pay so little they arent going to attract that kind of talent and if they do get it, they rarely have them long before they move on to something bigger and better that pays more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We carry pepper spray on duty and since I work in MA. but do not live in that state I have to go every year to the state police firearms division which is above Boston to be photographed & fingerprinted as MA. is the only state I believe that classifies pepper spray as a weapon. In 4 years I have almost had to use it once. A known fact is that more Security Officers die each year than Police Officers. I do work with some good people though who are mainly ex-Military or Police.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I have known many Security officers who became Police Officers and Many Police Officers who retired and became Security Officers,Its like a neverending circle,lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turnover rate is very high. Cannot count the number of people that have come and gone.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wasted six years of my life as an Armed Response Officer in the Bel Air area.

Drove a Ford Explorer 4-Door patrol vehicle and had lights (yellow), radio, and scanner.

Thank goodness I also had a decent stereo.

Some nights were centuries long with maybe a call or two. Others were pure chaos.

The earth quake and the King riots were 'interesting' to say the least.

I finally got fed up with the LAPD wanna bees and the low brow set and returned to the real world, Missouri, and am enjoying the good life.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have worked both full and part time armed, unarmed security on the St Louis river front under the Arch, Special Events and fill in for Pinkerton. Community College Security, Hospital Security, Hotel Security, and Entertainer Security wink, wink.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts