Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is the question. How much ammo can you legally own? I realize it probably varies from state to state; however, I can find nothing on-line that says what or even if their is a limit.

I ask because as I watched the coverage of the California shootings, the news was aghast that the shooters has over a thousand rounds of ammo. Their hideous actions aside, that's a paltry sum to my personal stash.

I collect it you might say, buy when on sale and reload quite a bit of my own. I'd hate to think I'm breaking the law but I cant find anything anywhere that says what constitutes too much.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
449 Posts
no limit in most of calif. including where i live. not sure of individual cities. and yea, they really didn't have that much compared to most gun owners including myself.

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Brian ... To the best of my knowledge, the only ammo limits currently in force in Ohio would be the ones imposed by your wallet, your storage space or the box limit at your local Walmart (much to the dismay of the liberal left) ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
The media gets all excited reporting that the shooters had thousands of rounds of ammo and dozens of guns but the reality is, they are committing their crimes with 1 maybe 2 guns and maybe 100 rounds of ammo. Yet, if I bought that tomorrow at the local gun store, they wouldn't be interested in a story.

I'm not aware of a limit in any state.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Definitely no limit on Wyoming. Other than the one my wife sets that is. Washington, D.C. Would be a probable candidate to having a limit, Chicago possibly too.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
+1 to the above comments. The only limits are money, storage space, and how much you can sneak past your spouse!

·
Registered
160 Posts
No limit in Texas I know or heard of . Thousand rounds is only 20 boxes of 50 count , no big deal . There are people out there that have probably 100k of rounds easily . Like mentioned above , Media likes to make things look so big when it's just a small thing . If I were president the first thing I'd do is clam up the media , permanently !

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
No limit in Texas I know or heard of . Thousand rounds is only 20 boxes of 50 count , no big deal . There are people out there that have probably 100k of rounds easily . Like mentioned above , Media likes to make things look so big when it's just a small thing . If I were president the first thing I'd do is clam up the media , permanently !
So you would do away with one of our God given rights? The only right the founding fathers put above the right to bear arms. How would this be a good thing?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
The limit is one round per gun. Anything in excess gets shipped to the ammo dump located in my basement.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
The limit is when a liberal finds out you have a bunch and calls the cops ,and when they find out you have a few thousand rounds for each caliber gun you own, then they call you crazy and say its too much.Unfortunately thats how it ends up.So tell everyone ,like Iowegan says, you only have one round per gun. HA!

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The limit is when a liberal finds out you have a bunch and calls the cops ,and when they find out you have a few thousand rounds for each caliber gun you own, then they call you crazy and say its too much.Unfortunately thats how it ends up.So tell everyone ,like Iowegan says, you only have one round per gun. HA!
Oh my. There are five calibers of weapons in my home and well above that for each. :eek:

I guess I'll have to send the excess to Iowegan, provided he pays the shipping (and a small service fee). :p ;)

Still, while I am not so concerned of a Federal restriction, the most recent Supreme court rulings on firearms have me concerned of changes to local or state law.

So much hype was made of the California shooters '...having over a thousand rounds'. When that information broke on the news I saw more than one talking head saying this was proof that the terrorists were ready for war.

Sadly, no one challenged this misconception, and I fear many people who don't own a weapon think that this is a magic number that should be a firewall to separate sport shooters from terrorists. :(

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sadly, no one challenged this misconception, and I fear many people who don't own a weapon think that this is a magic number that should be a firewall to separate sport shooters from terrorists. :(
I'm not as skeptical about "the people" as the media is. They think we're all stupid and believe everything they say. Their ever dwindling viewership (and readership for newspapers) shows that most people probably didn't hear what they said about their ammo supply, and those of us who did heard it second hand in places like this, among people who laughed and knew better.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Buy and "Store In A Cool Dry Place"
in my case reload and store in a cool dry place, in ammo cans. I am in the middle of "reloading season." when the "global warming" is falling and it is too damn cold to spend a morning at the conservation club. besides, I hate digging brass out of global warming piles!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
There is no limit that I know of, on how much ammo you may own. I believe there are many localities that have limits on how much you can store in your home. Mostly due to local or state fire codes. It's still a huge amount though.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have no idea, but I really don't care if I have more than some politician thinks I should have. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Sheriff Taylor only lets Barnie have one round in his shirt pocket....the rest of us can have at least 2 rounds or maybe even a bit more.

·
Registered
177 Posts
When I lived in MA the limit was 10,000 rounds per permit holder living in the household.
I know folks who had each family member get their permit just so they could store more ammo legally, even though only one person was a regular attendee at the local range.
btw...that was 10,000 total, not per caliber, or firearm.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts