Votes: 28 14.9%
  • 1000 or more rounds

Votes: 131 69.7%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much ammo do you keep "stockpiled?" I only have two calibers right now, .22 and 9mm, but I always feel as though I need to get more ammo. I have about 2500 rounds of .22lr and 350 of 9mm. How much do you have now? Is it enough?

The poll includes all your ammo of all types and calibers, but feel free to elaborate in you responses.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I shoot at a lot of USPSA matches so I keep at least 2K of 9mm, 40 cal and 45acp and 1k 38's . I just restocked my .22lr last weekend so I have 5k on hand but that will go down some this weekend. I also keep 500 or so each .357mag ,45 colt long, 30-30, .243, 25-06 as I don't shoot them as much.
I like to reload at least a hour each night to relax. I like to have all my brass prepped and primed , ready for powder and bullets. So I have another 2k each of 9mm,40cal and 45acp in the works on case prep.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last time I was at Walmart, I bought several boxes each of 45ACP, 22LR, and 357Mag. The cashier gave me a curious look and I joked "Zombie Apocalypse".

He looked at my ammo, looked at me, and dead-panned, "You're gonna need more".

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
How much ammo do you keep "stockpiled?" I only have two calibers right now, .22 and 9mm, but I always feel as though I need to get more ammo. I have about 2500 rounds of .22lr and 350 of 9mm. How much do you have now? Is it enough?

The poll includes all your ammo of all types and calibers, but feel free to elaborate in you responses.
Is that all you have? I'm a reloading addict, need I say more?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Classified. You don't have a need to know.
Best answer I have seen thus far and the most appropriate in many ways. I will sing the same song myself. But allow me to throw out some food for thought...

The ammo shortage of Aug [email protected] Aug 2008 before things started easing up again and the shelf's started filling back up on a regular basis. Was 350 rounds of 9mm for example an adequate supply to see you through?

If you lived in a area that was struck by a natural disaster...something along the lines of Katrina, where you might experience some looting and crime, would 350 rounds of 9mm for example be enough to see you and yours through safely until things recovered to something that resembles normal law and order again?

During the LA Riots, do you think 350 rounds of 9mm for example would have been adequate if you lived in south central LA or owned a business there you wanted to protect from being looted or burned to the ground by a mob?

You know while I am kind of old...I remember the days when I could have bought a 20 round box of steel cased 7.62x39 for 1.49 a box or a 20 round box of 7.62x51 NATO from Argentine or South Africa for 3.99 a box. I wished I would have had the foresight to have bought a pallet of each!!! Today the 7.62x39 is running about 4.97 at the cheapest and 7.62 NATO is running at lest 9.00 a box. Imagine how much I could have saved. As recently as 2007 I could have got a 550 round box of 22 long rifle for 12.00 a box, now I cant hardly find it for less than 20.00 dollars a box. My point is, ammo aint getting any cheaper!!!

While the short fall in the ammo supplies didnt really find me lacking too much, it left a serious impression on me. I am a reloader and even components got extremely scarce and was on back order for months when you could place an order! One of the lessons learned that I took away from this debacle is I will never drop below 12 lbs of gun powder again or 9000 primers ever again. For things that arent currently cost efficient to reload I still buy a few boxes of it every payday. Never know when your gonna experience another drought in the supplies or how much its going to cost when it is available.

How much is enough? When I have the maximum number of rounds the law will allow or enough to last me the rest of my life, I will be satisfied. But then again thats just me. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have several thousand loaded 10mm alone and a lifetime supply of brass and pirmers on my shelf.
I just keep finding bargains

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have 2000 rounds for each of my rifles and hand guns.. Course my supply of reload stuff is down and I ordered more of same.. Got 4 pounds of each powder and 20,000 assorted primers.. Yup I think its ALMOST enough.. <G>

wPm

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
not too much, compared to a lot of you guys. i think i have about 2k of .22, about 500 or so of 9mm, and about 300-400 12ga, off the top of my head.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IM almost out i have to get some more. i have about 40 7mm, 60 300 savage, 40 30-30,100 .22s, 60 12 gauge, 100 20 gauge, 20 10 gauge, 5 .243, and 10 .22 Hornet.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,356 Posts
At least one of each caliber I shoot.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
The scale didn't go far enough, but it's just as well. How much I keep on hand is my business and while I don't mind sharing it with you guys, you're not the only ones on the Internet! :eek:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have about 2000 rounds of various calibers. I have enough reloading components to make about 5000 more ... again; of various calibers. I have over 35 lb of powder in my reloading cabinet.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
some, but not quite enough…..

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
There was a workplace shooting in one of the Minneapolis neighborhoods a couple of weeks ago. A guy went out to his vehicle and came back in with a 9 mm Glock. When he was told he was fired, he ended up killing 5 other people and himself. A very tragic incident.

The news media made a big deal as they said he had packaging material that indicated he had purchased 12000 rounds. Just the other day, they said he'd gone to a local range 44 times in the past year.

That works out to about 275 rounds that he could fire during each range trip.

I usually fire more than that, however I don't go quite as often as he did.

My ammo purchases (investments) in the past few years have done better than my stock market investments.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts