Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late yesterday I brought home a 3" SP101. Just noticed a small barrel can't this morning. Bummer.
How much is too much cant? I am calling Ruger to maybe send it back. The gun was made May 2015. This would be my first send-back.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I agree, I can not stand any cant at all. I sent a ordered S&W 686 back to the distributer due to a canted barrel and ordered a PC model instead.
Good luck, Ruger will take care of it quickly though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy at Ruger said a little cant is ok. He said that is done like that because that is how they "dial in" the barrel for accuracy. He told me to shoot it first. I just got the gun last night. I am going to call Ruger back.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Had a Ruger Bisley .45/.45acp front sight and base was mounted crooked on barrel. Sent pictures to Ruger, had me send it back and installed new barrel and sight.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called Ruger back. Even the second CSRep I spoke to thought that was a line.
I was given a shipping label during my second call and will send in my gun Monday.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have two schools of thought on this..........there may be "some" creedence to them saying that's how they dial them in......

To avoid being too long winded......back when "craftsmen" and "masters" assembled S&W revolvers, up until probably the 80's-90's, both fixed sight and adjustable sight S&W revolvers were carefully test-fired, and if they hit off POA, the frames were lightly "tweaked" with lead Babbitts, to put a slight bend in the frame to get them to hit dead on. Even target sight guns like K-38's, because cutomers don't want the rear sight cranked all the way to the left or right to get it to hit......

Since NO one does this anymore, if a fixed sight gun like an SP hits "off" something has to be done about it, they sure as heck aren't using Babbitts to fix it. In the past, when the Six series and maybe the earlier GP series fixed sight revolvers, it was common for Ruger techs to simply open up one side of the rear sight channel. My favorite Speed Six is like this, the left side has been "opened" with a file, to get it to hit to POA. I have several others like this. They also used different height front sights.

These days, in an effort to throw guns out the door, Ruger probably just "cocks" the barrel to get them to POA and ships them out. For every guy who sends one back, there are probably 50 who just deal with it or never notice. Ruger would rather save man-hours and materials canting barrels to get them to hit to POA and then fix the handful that come back.

My theory is, if it bugs you, make Ruger fix it.

I have two guns that show both sides of the coin, and are equally "annoying" in different ways.....

I have a 4" .22 SP101, with a canted barrel........but, the rear sight blade is dead center in the rer sight. If the barrel was "fixed", I would get a gun back with the rear sight blade cranked way over to the left.

And........my Kodiak Backpacker, yes, the barrel is perfectly straight, but it arrived with a rear sight blade cranked so far to the right that it's almost falling out of the sight body.....and this is how it needs to be to hit to POA. So, I feel like I have to hold the gun "cocked" in my hands to get it to hit to POA. I think I would almost rather have the canted barrel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You did the right thing. I bought a 3" GP100 fixed sight about 2 years ago (novice gun buyer at the time). When I read about barrel cants about a year later, I checked all my guns and noticed the GP100 barrel was just a hair off of 12:00 o'clock. I sent Ruger a picture and they had UPS at my door the following day. Gun came back with a perfectly straight barrel.

The CS guy who told you that was ok should be relieved of his job. I have never had Ruger question anything that I have brought to their attention. I even put a scratch on one of my new GPs after I bought it. I called Ruger and admitted that I had scratched it and they said we will take care of it for you, no cost to me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I now believe CSR #1 was just trying to get through his call log. He wanted off the phone fast. Don't have a name because I felt so rushed. CSR #2 made up for it with her concern and attention.

I will post on this again when gun is received back.

Thanks to all who commented!

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,011 Posts
Agree none is acceptable. But in fairness to Ruger, I've had way more problems with Smith and Wesson on this issue than I have with Ruger.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ruger CS and Springfield CS have both been great for me to deal with. I cracked the cylinder on my Alaskan with some badly over-pressured handloads (not mine) and they replaced it with zero questions. I bought one of the first 4" Redhawk's that came out with a canted barrel and Ruger couldn't fix it due to the frame being faulty. They gave me a free upgrade to a Super Blackhawk Hunter as they didn't have another 4 incher to send me. Doesn't get any better in this guy's book...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ruger CS and Springfield CS have both been great for me to deal with. I cracked the cylinder on my Alaskan with some badly over-pressured handloads (not mine) and they replaced it with zero questions. I bought one of the first 4" Redhawk's that came out with a canted barrel and Ruger couldn't fix it due to the frame being faulty. They gave me a free upgrade to a Super Blackhawk Hunter as they didn't have another 4 incher to send me. Doesn't get any better in this guy's book...

🏽🏽🏽

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I can't say as I have not seen the cant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a SP101 in 357 this summer with the 4.2 inch barrel. The front sight was very noticeably canted to the left. At first I was going to live with it, but after thinkin' about it for a couple days I thought why. It was a new gun and I wanted it to be right. I sent it to Ruger and I had it back in eight days, now it's perfect. I love it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts