Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't exactly knock on wood, but, for one stove pipe issue on my P-95 I can say I have had clear sailing with it so far. I was shooting alu. ammo and decided that this was the issue. Been shooting brass ever since with no issues. And there is my Mark III which I have owned for many years. No telling how many rds. I have put thru it and it has never malfunctioned. Do you have a Ruger pistol that you would trust your life with?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have six Ruger pistols and I trust everyone of them 100%.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A .22LR in your pocket is better than that .45 at home, right? Any gun is better than no gun at all, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Like any machine they can screw up without warning. That’s why you have to practice clearing drills occasionally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,758 Posts
If I did not trust my guns I would not own them. Both Ruger wheel guns (older GP and Blackhawk) are great. I even trust my mid-90s Taurus 85, now the tackle-box gun.

Only guns I mistrust are friends’ guns that malfunction: a Bersa Thunder which is such a nice-looking weapon but loves to jam, and the same guy’s Dan Wesson that was “improved” by an amateur gunsmith.

I keep my guns stock, maintain them, and have a real smith look over any concerns before they become malfunctions.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I don't own any Ruger pistols because in general Ruger doesn't make pistols I like other than the SR1911. I had a LWC I would trust with my life but I sold/traded it for something. Should have kept that one. It was an excellent pistol. I do own more than a few Ruger revolvers and I trust all of them. I don't own any guns of any brand that aren't 99.9% reliable. I say 99.9% because, as has already been mentioned, any mechanical device has the potential for failure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bonk, I completely agree with you concerning Ruger revolvers. My Blackhawk S/A .357 I bought new in 1970 is my favorite gun of all that I own. I have put way North of 4,000 rds. thru it and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. And talk about hitting spot on, she gets the job done when it comes to accuracy. I get it out almost every day and look at it. I really love that gun!

·
Exchequer
4,500 Posts
Not a fan of the newer, poly Rugers and don't own any of them.

But their revolvers, the Mark series, and the P series have all proven to be well-built and generally reliable firearms.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have several and, woth the exception of an aftermarket guide rod isse, have never had an issue with them going bang.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
SR9c almost every day. Every now & then will tote either a shield or a G30s, but SR9c for the most part. I know a lot of people, especially on this thread; don’t like the newer polymer pistols. I like revolvers & 1911’s as well but most are a bit too heavy to carry all day. Don’t get me wrong it’s doable but I like the weight & feel of my SR9c. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,758 Posts
I should add that I really do not trust any semi unless I have ammo that never causes issues. It is not just my 1911, which has never failed with Speer Gold Dots, but can hiccup with some other brands. I have seen enough stovepipes and failures to extract on polymer semis, too, to make me leery. As much as I do like the M&P 2.0 guns...seen them malfunction too.

The only semi I have not seen mess up—ever—is the family 1903 Colt Hammerless. That gun I might carry. So I stick to heavy snubs and dress around the gun and pocket holster.

A steel core gun belt makes all the difference for carrying a gun as heavy as my Kimber.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have an LC9 that has never jammed and I did have a P95 that never malfunctioned other than having to bump the slide on the first round. I can say this about my CMD or Mark II. I would carry the CMD now but it's been a long bumpy road. With the exception of the 22 auto most semis will run with good ammo and good magazines if kept cleaned and lubed. I have had to repair some new ones before they would work including the CMD and a Kimber.

·
One Star
9,637 Posts
Well I guess I can say with my LIFE,if it's a Ruger i'm carrying in time of need!

·
Registered
110 Posts
A Real Smith??

I can't exactly knock on wood, but, for one stove pipe issue on my P-95 I can say I have had clear sailing with it so far. I was shooting alu. ammo and decided that this was the issue. Been shooting brass ever since with no issues. And there is my Mark III which I have owned for many years. No telling how many rds. I have put thru it and it has never malfunctioned. Do you have a Ruger pistol that you would trust your life with?
Have a pair of LCP's (gen-2). One is standard edition purchased used at a local pawn shop, other is the 10th anny purchased new. Load the mags correctly & they go bang every time.

Pair of SR22's also, occasional FTF which I attribute to Winchester ammo & a 10yr old not loading the mags correctly.
In process of learning which ammo they like. Once that's been established, they should be just as reliable as the Mark II's I've owned.

If I did not trust my guns I would not own them. Both Ruger wheel guns (older GP and Blackhawk) are great. I even trust my mid-90s Taurus 85, now the tackle-box gun.

Only guns I mistrust are friends’ guns that malfunction: a Bersa Thunder which is such a nice-looking weapon but loves to jam, and the same guy’s Dan Wesson that was “improved” by an amateur gunsmith.

I keep my guns stock, maintain them, and have a real smith look over any concerns before they become malfunctions.
Those WERE nice before they added the Clinton hole & the subsequent reliability issues that came with the new lawyer parts.

"A Real Smith"..?? What pretell is a "real smith"?? Don't you trust yourself & your abilities??

5x my 10/22's were completely built by me. I chose & sourced all parts + assembled the rifles. All are 100% reliable & dam accurate too.

I've already done a number of upgrades to my newly acquired takedown... Poly buffer, AmNat FIrearms stainless V-Block screw set
Clark Custom trigger pack, Tac Innovations SS TD Screws, Power Custom Titanium Bolt Handle, factory bolt for now. Had the parts on hand.

Still need to test, however I'll bet she'll be just as reliable as the others. Maybe not quite as accurate due to the factory barrel, most others have TacSol barrels.

Added a VQ-2000 trigger pack to my TacSol X-ring, still need a stock & scope.

Lotta pride comes from knowing you did everything yourself. If it breaks YOU fix it, not a so called "A Real Smith"

JMO

·
Registered
869 Posts
1956 Standard, early SR9, SR45, three LCP’s, and now a new SR9 on the way.
So yeah, I trust them implicitly. We’ll see with the latest 9.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts