Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't know, but I have a couple related questions. (Which my LGS sells for $429; I saw them sell a used MKIII SS Target for $325 a couple days ago.)

I'm surprised you're parting with this gun. How much does re-bluing & shipping cost? Guess that makes an argument for SS where you never have to deal with that issue & cost.

Seems a new MKIII standard goes for $299, so I guess that kind of sets a benchmark for what a 28-year-old version might be worth. Will be interesting to see if lack of lawyer-proofing or being a few decades old wins out, making it worth more or less than a new version.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Check the online sites like gunbroker or Guns America to get an aver price for your gun. I would guess $250-$275 would be typical...but I have not done research on that model in depth. I just sold a Mark III Target for $325.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I've seen used MKII Standards bring as much as $300 in that condition - about what you'd pay for the MKIII Standard, new - just because it is a Mark II, instead of a III. Of course, you won't get that on a trade-in and you may have a long wait to find someone who pay that in a private sale.

As a shooter who owns six Marks/Standards, why not just keep your Standard? Targets are great, but Standards have their place, too. Quite different guns in terms of handling and feel. As much as I love my Target versions, I shoot my Standards quite a bit - my Standards get the nod for plinking and carrying, out in the woods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree that keeping the gun is the best option but money is an issue and I am going to shoot some leagues this spring and summer and felt a target version would be better.
I may just save up longer and keep this and try to find a nice used target model
I would rather have a II rather than a III anyway.
I may just keep an eye out on local (in state) venues.
Thanks all for the help.
BTW this is my first day on the forum and am looking forward to many more.
I had been putting all my eggs in the archery basket and decided to dust off the old firearms.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Keep the Mark II is my vote. Since you already own your II, buy a target or bull barreled "upper". 2 guns in one? Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Since you already own your II, buy a target or bull barreled "upper". 2 guns in one?
I didn't know that could even be done. Where can you buy just the upper?:confused: (Upper = barrel/receiver assembly -- the serial numbered part that's the "firearm" per ATF definition.)

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I didn't know that could even be done. Where can you buy just the upper?:confused: (Upper = barrel/receiver assembly -- the serial numbered part that's the "firearm" per ATF definition.)
Tactical Solutions sells uppers, but yes they are an FFL item. :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Tactical Solutions sells uppers, but yes they are an FFL item. :)
Thanks. Looks interesting. Though probably won't appeal to those who like the weight of Ruger's steel bull barrel. TS seems to like light weight:

The Pac-Lite is manufactured from 6061-T6 aluminum with a 4140 button rifled steel liner and 11° target crown. It features an adjustable rear sight and ramped front sight with an optional fiber optic sight available. The Pac-Lite comes standard with a milled stainless steel ejector for long life and reliability. All Pac-Lite receivers are factory drilled and tapped for a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite scope base.
I'm sure that would appeal to many others though, plus you get your choice of various pretty colors.:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Slap a Volquartsen barrel on your receiver. Is also drilled and tapped to play Bullseye with a Red Dot. Oh, the Volquartsen trigger is also super sweet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Slap a Volquartsen barrel on your receiver. Is also drilled and tapped to play Bullseye with a Red Dot. Oh, the Volquartsen trigger is also super sweet.
How is that done? I'm stumped since the barrel/receiver assembly are once piece.:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts