Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also wondering what everyone uses and where they get it. I have corn and got it locally. I used about 3 lbs of the 4 I bought. I also added the polishing media. I guess if that was wrong it's a little late now. [B)]

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
The best "deals" on media is at Wal-Mart in the pet supply department. Walnut shell and corn cob media is used as bedding for "critters" and is a fraction the price you would pay in a gunshop.

I change my media a couple times a year but could probably use it a lot longer. When your brass doesn't come out clean after 3 hours in a vibratory cleaner or 10 hours in a tumbler, it's time for a change.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

The best "deals" on media is at Wal-Mart in the pet supply department. Walnut shell and corn cob media is used as bedding for "critters" and is a fraction the price you would pay in a gunshop.

I change my media a couple times a year but could probably use it a lot longer. When your brass doesn't come out clean after 3 hours in a vibratory cleaner or 10 hours in a tumbler, it's time for a change.
I'll look into Wal-mart. I like saving money. Also looks like the media will last a lot longer than I thought it would.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have wondered if pecan shell would work. We have several pecan companies here that buy . sell and they have the crushed shell as a by-product of the shelling process that they sell for mulch.

·
16,471 Posts
jimbo1096, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just add a little polish to each load and see what happens.

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bountyhunter

Also wondering what everyone uses and where they get it. I have corn and got it locally. I used about 3 lbs of the 4 I bought. I also added the polishing media. I guess if that was wrong it's a little late now. [B)]
I don't use media because I don't reload huge volumes of ammo at one time.I wash my cases in AMMONIA FREE mild dishwashing liquid detergent. AMMONIA will break down/deteriorate brass. I put the washed brass in the sun to dry. If I want shiny brass I polish the cases on my buffing wheels....but that wouldn't be large amounts. (I'm a machinist AND a metal polisher)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I throw some paper towels in and let them run an hour or so. It makes the media last longer and gets all sorts of black stuff out.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

Good post thanks for the info. I'm retired and always trying to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Be cautious of using ground corn pet bedding on small-necked cases like .223 Remington. It gets inside and doesn't want to come back out. You dont' want to dig that stuff out of a couple hundred cases.

I use Lyman's green corn cob media with some Nu-Finish polish (in the auto wax section of your local discount store) and a cut-up sheet of used Downy or Bounce drier sheet. The batch of media I currently have in my vibratory tumbler has gone over one year, and thousands and thousands of rifle and pistol cases, and still looks as green and new as what is still in the jug.

I have no need to change it yet, and my brass always comes out looking brighter than brand new.

·
Banned
700 Posts
I too now use the Wally Pet Dept Corn Bedding. Works great!
Also you may want to try the walnut reptile walnut bedding @ Petsmart and the like. Cheap and effective!
For tough stuff I've used very very fine Pecan and it's great!
My media gets a shot of Flitz!

Most of the folks I shoot with use sunglasses! Whimps!

SD

·
16,471 Posts
I've heard all the cautions about using AMMONIA base products. Mostly they are a bunch of crap. Yes, if you leave brass exposed to ammonia for extended periods, it will indeed "eat" the brass. However, if you use a cap full of Brasso in your case cleaner with each batch, the brass comes out super nice in two hours. I've been using Brasso for at least 40 years and haven't "worn out" a single piece of brass yet. I bought some Dillon brass cleaner and found it works well too. So for you ammonia haters, get some Dillon blue cleaner.

One last thing .... I brought home some very fine river sand and put it in my old rock tumbler (very dry). Wow! in about 30 minutes, all the old nasty black stains came off and my "range brass" took on a dull but clean look. After a couple hours in the vibratory cleaner with a cap full of Brasso and corn cob media, that ugly old range brass looked better than brand new.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks Iowegan, that is pretty much what I figured but thought I better ask. Have a whole bunch of brass to run thru the tumbler. One cap per load.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the advice about wallyworld and the corncob bedding. I just picked up a bag yesterday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.