Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how often and what round count should I be cleaning guns at. I currently shoot a 22/45 mk3 and a lcp 2. Thank you

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I own semi-automatics, and I clean them every time I shoot them. My Glocks could go hundreds of rounds without cleaning if I really wanted to, but I'd never trust my LCP II to do that. OTOH, my wife owns revolvers, and she might shoot 'em 2 or 3 times before cleaning them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I clean all my guns everytime after shooting them. I am fortunate enough to have enough guns, that if I don’t clean them, it may be awhile before I shoot them again. Besides that, I can’t stand picking up a dirty gun.

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
I'm not of the school of thought that says a weapon has to be cleaned every time I use it. I use a lot of mechanical items that I don't clean after every use. Why should guns be any different? I always wipe them down before they get put away but I don't field strip clean them after every use. Same as with any other tool or machinery. I wipe down hand tools when I get done using them and I use an airgun to blow off dirt, grass and other debris from my tractors and mowers when I'm done using them. Same with power tools. Guns get treated the same way except periodically they do get a thorough cleaning.

I shoot almost every day and I shoot more than one gun almost every time I shoot. If I thoroughly cleaned my guns every time I used them I'd spend hours every week cleaning lightly used guns. It's not necessary. I clean them when they need it but not every time I use them.

I'll also admit to being in the group that doesn't particularly enjoy cleaning guns. It's a necessary chore and I don't avoid it. I don't hate it either. It's just something that has to be done occasionally. A lot of folks claim that gun cleaning time is their Zen time. That's not me. I'd much rather be doing something else.

Before anybody goes all lifer on me I'm a retired Marine. Weapon cleaning in the military has a whole different dynamic. It's part of the regimen, it's traditional and in the field it's an absolute requirement for obvious reasons. However, these days I'm not in the field and I'm not in combat. My guns are well maintained and well cared for but they are not spotless clean all day every day. For the record I've never had a gun fail due to lack of cleanliness or from a lack of maintenance.

YMMV

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,889 Posts
As the OP has hopefully figured out by now, there is no "right" answer. What kind of gun, the purpose of the gun, how often it's shot, and other factors determine what is correct in each situation. I strip my AR-15 every time I shoot it. Hunting rifles get cleaned at the end of the season (just a wipe down after a hunt unless they got rained on). Rimfire rifles and pistols get cleaned every time I shoot, but not a complete tear-down or deep cleaning. I'm thinking I do the same with shotguns and center-fire handguns. A quick cleaning of the bore and action, a little lube, then a wipe down of the exterior and it's back in the safe. Maybe every 500rds they get a complete disassembly and deep cleaning. You will figure out what is right for you. Happy shooting!

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,320 Posts
When I first became a gun owner, I field stripped it after every trip to the range.

It made me very familiar with the gun which helped me in the long run as it became my concealed carry piece.

And the smell of Hoppes is therapeutic 😉

I continue the practice as I acquired some more.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I enjoy cleaning my guns and will even take some that don't see the range very often out and run a few patches of Hoppes followed by some gun oil just to put my eyes on them and make sure all's good. And I love the smell of Hoppes so any excuse to crack open the Hoppes bottle works for me. I do clean everything after shooting just because I'm that way and I love the smell of Hoppes. Did I mention I love the smell of Hoppes?

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
I enjoy cleaning my guns and will even take some that don't see the range very often out and run a few patches of Hoppes followed by some gun oil just to put my eyes on them and make sure all's good. And I love the smell of Hoppes so any excuse to crack open the Hoppes bottle works for me. I do clean everything after shooting just because I'm that way and I love the smell of Hoppes. Did I mention I love the smell of Hoppes?
I know what I'm getting you for Christmas. :giggle:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I shoot maybe once or twice a month. 100 to 150 rounds through each firearm. I usually try to clean them the next day or two. It really starts to bother me if I wait too long. I guess it's kinda OCD. Even if I only shoot 5 or 10 rounds through a firearm, I have to clean it. Being retired, I've got the time. But I've been that way since I first started shooting 50 years ago.

·
Cat Herder
1,644 Posts
I always wipe them down and run a boresnake through after shooting. Handguns get a pretty thorough field strip and cleaning, rifles not as often.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Depends on many factors. Dirty ammo, how many rounds, carry or range firearm.
Usually I do a wipe down after shooting and do a deeper clean on a carry pistol.
I shoot the carry pistols often to make sure they work with the carry ammo then clean.
When I have nothing else to do and I want/need to be doing something.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
I shoot then I clean just part of my routine. Most pistols strip down easily and those with fire control units get a look at the FCU but usually don't pull it and wipe down other than maybe once a year. Mags I use I'll do once a year as well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If it's a carry gun that I rely on to work 100% when/if called upon, I clean it soon as I get back from the range.

If it's not a gun that I would use for self defense, maybe after 8 or 10 outings. I go to the range twice a week.

·
Exchequer
4,596 Posts
My daily carry gets cleaned after every trip to the range, where I generally run at least 50 to 100 rounds through it. The other firearms get cleaned when I have time.

And like others here, I too enjoy the smell of Hoppe's #9. My wife, on the other hand, can't stand it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For my .22 pistol ( LCP II, Walther PPK/S) I clean them every time I shoot them. These guns are very ammo sensitive already, and some .22 ammo are fairly dirty. For my 380 I will go a few times without cleaning them, but if I’m already cleaning the .22s might as well clean them too
I actually enjoy cleaning the pistols.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
A good rule is to clean a handgun at least every 100 rounds. If I shoot 50, and are going again in a couple of days, I will usually wait until after the second trip. If I shoot over 100 rounds in a trip, the gun gets cleaned before I shoot it again. If the gun hasn't been shot in a while, I will clean it anyway every couple of months. As other have mentioned, the caliber and type of ammo make a difference also. .22LR guns get cleaned every trip.

Remember, you will not hurt a gun by cleaning it too much. You very well might by not cleaning often enough.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I clean my guns every time their used. My carry gets a once over twice a month shot at the range or not.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,289 Posts
I clean and lube my guns after every range session or use. Any gun powder left will attract moisture.

I carry one of several government model 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm. I clean my carry guns after about two weeks of carry and they go back into the safe and I choose another one to carry.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,783 Posts
After any firing, period. At least a swipe with Clenzoil after I shoot a snake with a round or two. Much more thorough cleaning after range time. I am so Type A that I won’t sleep if I fail to clean a gun.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts