Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new mark initial target. I like to take good care of my guns but the Mk iii seems to be a little bit of a pain to strip and reassemble.

How often to you strip and clean your Mk iii?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I strip my guns down and clean them after every range visit. The MK guns can be a pain, but the more you shoot them, the more the loosen up and the easier they are to tear down.

I enjoy cleaning my guns, and it's half the fun of going out to shoot. But that's just my opnion.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have always cleaned all my 22 rimfire pistols after a day at the range, it's a good habit to get into even though they're not what's in my drawer to stop unwanted guests at night. Those quests get a bigger and more powerful cartridge to deal with.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I probably take my MKIII's all the way down after 500 rds or so. I usually clean the barrel and chamber area after 100 - 150 rds. I do a lot of shooting right near my house so I might only shoot 50 rds at a time.
I don't mind tearing them down, but I really don't see the point as long as the the action and bolt area are reasonably clean.

·
Registered
159 Posts
After each range trip. I Clean & Inspect them. The MkI,II,III and 22/45 Pistols are a pain in the arse the first few times, but after awhile they go back together like a well used 1911 :)

Having to smack a pistol with a rubber mallet is a bit un-nerving at first, but that too gets easier with use.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was cleaning it every range trip.

But a couple of things have changed.

1. Changed to a much cleaner ammo
2. Removed the LCI & LCI flag/cover

These two things have made my 22/45LITE Mk.III a Very Clean Gun.

It is a HUGH difference.

The Federal Blue Bulk box & CCI Mini mags has helped a lot,

But removing ALL of the LCI and having the opening lets the crap just blow right out of the gun allowing me to shoot closer to 1000 rounds before a cleaning.

I dont mind cleaning my 22/45 mk.III at all, after a while they are really easy to take down and put back together.

Now, If i shoot less than 1000 rounds through it, (to shoot this little is rare as the 22/45 is My Favorite and my Mk.II is also Awesome) I just swab the feed ramp, inside bolt tube, spring rod, bolt face rear of slide when locked open, then Light oil, re-applyed, then shoot a couple of bricks through it, before a cleaning.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I bought a Govt MkII brand new back in the 80s and I've only stripped it down once when I first got it. It was such a PITA that I never did it again. I just swab and brush the bore, and then I flush out the action with a spray can of Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber. That flushes all the residue out of the bolt and trigger group. Then I oil it with Hoppes gun oil, and it's ready to go. No boogering up the finish on the gun trying to pry the disassembly latches up and out. The gun has worked flawlessly for over the 20+ years that I've owned it and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
After every shoot, whether five rounds or five hundred.
Look after the gun, it will look after you.
I plan on handing firearms down several generations. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
as little as possible on my mk 2. flush with birchwood casy gun scrubber over the trash can or out side than scrub barrel and oil. its a 10" bull barrel and shoots GREAT. I would bet my life on it cept it don't fit In pocket.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I remove the grips and blast with GunScrubber. Clean the barrel with a bronze brush and work over the breech with an old toothbrush. Then light oil.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Do a complete take-down and bore clean after a thousand rounds or so, but do a wipe down and inspection after every range trip and will take a toothbrush to the bolt face extractor as needed. Absolutely no need to clean the bore on a rimfire after every range trip and, in fact, most rim fires shoot more accurately with a dirty bore. Then, too, takes an awful lot of gunk to make a mark stop shooting.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I strip and clean after each range trip.
When I am up at my WNC home, I strip and clean it about every 500 to 1000 rounds. I usually shoot it a bit every day.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
After every shooting session. That gives you more practice stripping it too..........:rolleyes:

After a few times, you get used to it. My Mark III is minus the mag safety, which simplifies things. I don't need the magazine to strip it or reassemble it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
On carry guns, they get cleaned after every firing and a light cleaning every two weeks if it hasn't been fired. My MKIII I only do a light cleaning (swab down the barrell, cloth over the feeding ramp) most of the time after shooting. I haven't field stripped it in atleast 1,000 rounds, probably more. It hasn't had a single failure since I cleaned it last. Mine strips down pretty easily, even from day one, but I just haven't found a need to do a full tear down since it works so well regardless.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I clean it after every range visit.

I have talk to folks that just "wipe them down.." and they shoot fine. I believe it, these guys are work horses!

Really on of the most reliable weapons I ever owned.

Love the MKIII's!

Gunny B

·
Registered
187 Posts
I saw a guy at the range, he had a nice 22/45 Mk.III 5.5" barrel colobolo grips, really nice looking gun.

I locked the bolt back, and it was Very Dirty inside ejection port, bolt face, feed ramp area, LCI area.

I asked him when last time it was cleaned, he said that he had never cleaned it, he was afraid to clean it, after all that he had heard about it, he said it was working fine.

I offered to show him how to take it down, he was surprised how easy it is to take them down and put back together.

After 1000 rounds My 22/45 LITE Mark III is still pretty Clean, my Mk.II is dirty after 1000 round through it.

It must be that I removed the LCI, and now have a open port allowing all the crap to blow right out of the gun. Only reason i can think of that is different, between the two

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a Govt MkII brand new back in the 80s and I've only stripped it down once when I first got it. It was such a PITA that I never did it again. I just swab and brush the bore, and then I flush out the action with a spray can of Birchwood Casey Crud Buster. That flushes all the residue out of the bolt and trigger group. Then I oil it with Hoppes gun oil, and it's ready to go. No boogering up the finish on the gun trying to pry the disassembly latches up and out. The gun has worked flawlessly for over the 20+ years that I've owned it and it doesn't have a scratch on it.
Same here, except I use RemOil instead of the Hoppes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought a Govt MkII brand new back in the 80s and I've only stripped it down once when I first got it. It was such a PITA that I never did it again. I just swab and brush the bore, and then I flush out the action with a spray can of Birchwood Casey Crud Buster. That flushes all the residue out of the bolt and trigger group. Then I oil it with Hoppes gun oil, and it's ready to go. No boogering up the finish on the gun trying to pry the disassembly latches up and out. The gun has worked flawlessly for over the 20+ years that I've owned it and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

This is all that's needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.