Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how often should i use copper solvent? i don't currently own any yet. I have a nice Browning A-Bolt with about 60 rounds through it. Iv'e cleaned the bore with some CLP. so how would i use a copper solvent and do I use a powder solvent before? And whats a good copper solvent? Thanks

RJ

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think it's safe to say most of our members and gun owners use hoppes no.9. It's an all purpose bore solvent and been around since 1903 if I'm correct.
And I clean the bores on my rifles after every shoot but I'm very fussy when it's comes to firearm maintainance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not arguing with anybody but I have a Encore in 25.06 that I cleaned with Hoppe's #9 for years. Was reading about copper cleaner and decided to try. Couldn't believe the copper that came out of my "clean" barrel.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
CLP, Hoppes, Mil-Pro and others won't remove much copper fouling if at all. An ammonia based solvent is needed. I have used Sweet's 7.62 solvent for a good 25 years.
I put several drops on a brush, run it through the bore several times, and let sit 15 to 30 minutes. It would not hurt to leave it a bit longer, just don't leave it in the bore overnight. It could "etch" the bore.
Keep a separate brush for the copper solvent and use it only for that. And don't use a copper or brass brush, as the solvent will deteriorate the brush. Use a nylon brush.
After letting the solvent soak, then run a patch through. If it comes out a blue/green color, you are successfully removing copper deposits. Repeat until the patches come out clean.
Use your regular solvent on a patch to ensure you don't leave any copper solvent in the bore, including swabbing out the chamber.
I don't think it's necessary to remove 100% of the copper. I'm not a benchrest shooter, but I think many shooters believe a rifle will shoot better with a little bit of fouling present.
I have seen accuracy drop off when too much copper is in the bore. I tested accuracy in a couple .17 HMR rifles ( not exactly super high velocity, but enough to leave copper fouling) and Match .223 loads out of a couple AR's, and noticed accuracy seemed to worsen after 100 rounds or so.
Depending on how smooth the bore of a rifle is, the composition of the bullet, and how high the velocity is, the amount of fouling will differ from rifle to rifle. I have one .308 bolt gun that seems to foul fairly fast, the other hardly ever shows any copper fouling.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Some would say the copper cures the barrel and to not worry about it.

Maybe if you have problems with accuracy after a couple thousand rounds it might be worth checking.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,041 Posts
IMO, sandog nailed it. A little copper fouling fills the striation marks in the bore and makes the gun more accurate. That assumes a standard production barrel where the factory didn't waste any time polishing the bore. When you get into match grade barrels that have been air gauged and highly polished, copper fouling is NOT your friend.

I don't own any match grade rifles so I use sandog's procedure and it seems to work just fine. Except for my AR556 or Remy 700 (223 Rem) I rarely shoot more than 20 rounds in a session and clean after each session so I have never got to a point where my rifles loose accuracy due to copper fouling.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Loved the video, I also gave up on expensive gun cleaning products years ago. Ballistol, and Hoppes 9 is for me Practical and affordable and gets the job done. I also do not believe you have to over clean a firearm. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it's safe to say most of our members and gun owners use hoppes no.9. It's an all purpose bore solvent and been around since 1903 if I'm correct.
And I clean the bores on my rifles after every shoot but I'm very fussy when it's comes to firearm maintainance.
Don't use that toxic, stinky Hoppes#9. There's a handful of terrific solvents out there that the wife and kids won't complain about / they won't run outdoors from and are safe to use - safe to store environmentally..... even exposed against the bare skin.

Hoppes#9 is so old-school and really it's best place in society today is some gun museum that treasures the past. Society should save a few bottles of Hoppes for museums and eliminate the rest-remaining.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Don't use that toxic, stinky Hoppes#9. There's a handful of terrific solvents out there that the wife and kids won't complain about / they won't run outdoors from and are safe to use - safe to store environmentally..... even exposed against the bare skin.

Hoppes#9 is so old-school and really it's best place in society today is some gun museum that treasures the past. Society should save a few bottles of Hoppes for museums and eliminate the rest-remaining.
When did Hoppe's #9 solvent stop working?
How can I still be alive after using it for decades without rubber gloves or breathing protection?
Does it work every time to clear the house so I can have some "me" time?
What solvent (not CLP, solvent) do you recommend?
Most other solvents I've seen caution against contact with wood finishes.
Why does the man in Brownell's video showing the benefits of M-Pro 7's solvent need to wear rubber gloves?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Guess I'm old school, I have been using Hoppes #9 for 50+ years on guns and at this point will continue to do so until I die. Just like I am going to continue to drive my car and truck, and they are not hybrids or electrics. Guess I'm not a "greenie" then. Too bad!

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
When did Hoppe's #9 solvent stop working?
How can I still be alive after using it for decades without rubber gloves or breathing protection?
Does it work every time to clear the house so I can have some "me" time?
What solvent (not CLP, solvent) do you recommend?
Most other solvents I've seen caution against contact with wood finishes.
Why does the man in Brownell's video showing the benefits of M-Pro 7's solvent need to wear rubber gloves?
I have been around Hoppes #9 and using it since I was 15 years old. I'm 52 now soon to be 53. No lingering side effects here ...

·
Registered
9,657 Posts

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Guess I'm old school, I have been using Hoppes #9 for 50+ years on guns and at this point will continue to do so until I die. Just like I am going to continue to drive my car and truck, and they are not hybrids or electrics. Guess I'm not a "greenie" then. Too bad!
Hey White Squirrel how the hell are you?

I'm like you I've been using Hoppes #9 since I was 15 and I'll soon be 53. It's a winner for me. I have tried some solvent from Boretech and it seems to work OK. I use it in conjunction with my Hoppes #9.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Hey White Squirrel how the hell are you?

I'm like you I've been using Hoppes #9 since I was 15 and I'll soon be 53. It's a winner for me. I have tried some solvent from Boretech and it seems to work OK. I use it in conjunction with my Hoppes #9.
Good, thanks.

Nothing against Boretech, never heard of it before. If I don't use Hoppes #9, I use Ballistol. Or maybe both.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Here's a better alternative.... one of five I'm aware of.
But wait! If you enjoy hurting yourself or the environment, then don't click on the link.

https://www.boretech.com/category/solvents.shtml
I'm always open to new products...but not when they're presented in this type of presumptuous manner. Hoppes #9 has been around a long, long time and is the standard by which others are measured. Where's the proof that this is the better solvent?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts