Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ruger lcr, i wipe it down each day after i am through carrying it. i have oiled the mainspring a couple times in two years, it seems fine and rust free but dry each time i have done it. should i oil it more often?, less? i don't want to take the grip off any more than necessary, i use mobile one and barricade as my oil. thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Unless you carry very close to your body, and sweat a lot, this is not necessary. I don't oil my "mainspring" in my GP and SP's more than once a year, and I fire them a lot at the range. Even then, I usually simply inspect the springs.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
The LCR manual specifies lubricating the Hammer and Hammer Pivot Pin at 1000 round intervals. Since you have to remove the grips to accomplish this task you could put a drop of oil on the mainspring; I've done it. Maybe it just made me feel better but it hasn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
I think oiling the hammer spring to often is inviting future trouble from the dust that attaches to the oil. I've pocket carried mine routinely in hot weather where the potential for moisture is at it geatest and have seen no sign of rust.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Oiling or greasing any type of firearm spring ( even a "nested" recoil spring) should be avoided; it accomplishes nothing and collects debris. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
For years I have sprayed them with Ballistol and give them a good wipe every so often just because I'm anal. Although I've never had a problem I think a good wipe down is all that's needed.

·
Super Moderator
21,265 Posts
OP is sounds like what you do is working so why fix it, stick with it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have never oiled these springs and never seen any rust. I just got a S&W 586 born around the early 1990's. I will put some Renaissance Wax on the spring which will add protection, whether it is needed or not, and it will not attract dirt. That is going to be one happy 357 magnum tonight.

________________________________________________________________________The +P+++ 380 cal. ammo. "It's the hammer of the gods."

·
One Star
9,637 Posts
When cleaning my pistols.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts