Ruger Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
IMO, just a waste of time cleaning guns that don't need it, and all you are doing is hastening the wear by constantly taking it apart and putting it back together.. There's no gun anywhere that needs to be disassembled and cleaned after running 10 rounds through it, yet a lot of guys do.
of course if you run 250 or more rounds downrange you certainly have a case for cleaning, but if you take between 6- 10 guns to the range like I do, run maybe 10-20 rounds through them, believe me, they'll be ok .. I know I am in the minority, but to me cleaning a gun just because, is like changing your cars engine oil every 100 miles,, Just no real benefit.. I clean mine when they need to be cleaned, and they are 100% dependable always. Maybe every 100-150 rounds mine get cleaned and they are never "dirty"bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Can i run a bore snake through mine (sporter 22)without taking it all apart?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I usually shoot couple hundred rounds through my guns, so I always clean them after use. If it was very minimal, then nah I would prob skip or wait.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like to clean about every 100 - 200 rounds. I use a bore guide stainless steel cleaning rod. I like Boretech products and use Rimfire Blend, I run three wet patches followed with a nylon brush with solution on it for ten passes. I then use a short cleaning rod and do the same in front of the chamber to get rid of any carbon ring. I then run another three wet patches and run clean patches through the bore till they come out clean.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So: what’s the consensus on the “never clean a 22’s bore!” Theory that seems popular among bench rest shooters?
And, if this philosophy holds water, I have some follow up questions:
1) What is the basis of the theory? Does cleaning a 22 PROPERLY actually cause increased wear? Or is it just that the act of cleaning the bore increases the chance of a “whoops! Damaged my crown!” Situation?
2) If you never run a brush down the bore, aren’t you leaving the rifle open to rust and eventually barrel putting?
3) If this theory is in fact true, does it also apply to 22 pistols? Eg a Mark iv? How about other calibers? If not, why not?

·
Registered
432 Posts
So: what’s the consensus on the “never clean a 22’s bore!” Theory that seems popular among bench rest shooters?
And, if this philosophy holds water, I have some follow up questions:
1) What is the basis of the theory? Does cleaning a 22 PROPERLY actually cause increased wear? Or is it just that the act of cleaning the bore increases the chance of a “whoops! Damaged my crown!” Situation?
2) If you never run a brush down the bore, aren’t you leaving the rifle open to rust and eventually barrel putting?
3) If this theory is in fact true, does it also apply to 22 pistols? Eg a Mark iv? How about other calibers? If not, why not?
While I would say that "NEVER" is a little extreme, most .22 rimfire barrels don't need to be cleaned very often and doing so can markedly change your groups and point of impact. Lead,.22 rimfire (i.e. most "match" ammunition) is lubricated with an oil or wax, what kind and how much of it is in your barrel effects the consistency of your shooting. Most rifles, if you keep shooting the same ammo, will attain something of an equillibrium in that you are not adding to or removing the coating inside the barrel with each shot at that point. If you clean the barrel back to bare steel you will find that grouping and point of impact likely change steadily until you return to that balance point.
I would liken it to cooking in a 'seasoned' a cast iron pan. Once it is seasoned it cooks very well for a long time. If you scrub it, you need to season it once again before it cooks dependably. When I shot 4 position Smallbore I would try not to clean my rifle unless I had time to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo through it before any 'serious' match, I would also not change ammo for the same reason, different lubrication-different impact.
Chambers are different from barrels, if shooting a semi-auto, you probably need to clean the chamber regularly to keep it running well.
If you don't shoot a handgun a lot better than I do, you probably won't see a great deal of difference between a clean and a seasoned barrel so... might as well clean it all at once but that is another story.
All just my less than humble opinion of course, your mileage may vary.

Bruce

41 - 47 of 47 Posts