Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not necessarily everyone's age; some other posts mentioned folks who were relatively old before they had ever shot a firearm. Could anyone like that elaborate as to why it took so long? I'm not bashing by any means, there are infinite reasons someone may not have been able to.

It's just hard for me to understand, seeing as I don't remember the first round I ever shot since I was so young. I do remember being so little that to rack my dad's self-loading .22 I had to stand the (guns) butt on the ground and pull downwards to work the bolt.

Anyways, glad to have more shooters, that's for sure.

· Registered
73 Posts
I was 3 or 4 not sure my brothers would take me to the dump and shoot I had to sit on there lap to shoot out the car window. I was shooting a .22 at that age I didn't shoot a shotgun till I was almost 10

· Registered
74 Posts
I think I was about 9. My grandpa taught me on an old Marlin model 81, and I could barley shoulder it :D

· Registered
596 Posts
I didn't get to shoot a gun till like 3 years ago when a friend brought me to an indoor range and shot a Remington 870 and a Beretta 45ACP pistol. Felt cool at the time but never crossed my mind to own any firearms. Then another friend of mine decided to bring me to the range 4 months ago. Now here I am at 38, with 4 firearms and counting. LOL!

· Wandering Sandlapper
3,281 Posts
I grew up in the South, so I may have started shooting In Utero. :D

At ten my dad took me out to the landfill with a Remington Model 34 his dad bought him when he was a teenager and I plinked tin cans with .22 shorts.

I still have that 78 year old rifle and shoot it occasionally.

Taught my son to shoot with the same rifle and a Ruger Standard.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Got my first bb gun for my 8th birthday, used to "hunt" birds like crazy in the woods behind our house. I would actually get up early before school and go out for an hour before the bus came.

Shot my first .22 at about 12, got my first .22 at 13, and started hunting legally at 14.

· Registered
350 Posts
I was maybe 9 or 10. My older cousin had received a .22 rifle for Christmas, & I was allowed to shoot it a few times out back of their farm that day. My mother -- who would not even allow me to have toy guns -- was greatly displeased. I didn't fire another gun until I was 20 or 21, & that was also my first gun purchase, a Colt 1991A1 Compact. I now own a safe full of firearms of all kinds. Oh well, mom tried. ;)

· Registered
1,410 Posts
At around 6 years of age my Grandfather signed me up for a NRA marksmanship program at the local indoor police range. Grew up around firearms and don't recall the first time shooting.

· Registered
17 Posts
I was 62 years old when I purchased a handgun for self defense and concealed carry.

This was precipitated by an attempted break-in at my home which was followed by a successful break-in at my home a few weeks later.

I vowed to never be that helpless and scared again, so I made the purchase, took classes, took instruction, learned to shoot, continue to practice, practice, practice and have applied for my concealed carry permit. This has been an empowering journey.

Viking Queen

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Got my first bb gun for my 8th birthday, used to "hunt" birds like crazy in the woods behind our house. I would actually get up early before school and go out for an hour before the bus came.

Shot my first .22 at about 12, got my first .22 at 13, and started hunting legally at 14.
Oh, I forgot to answer why. I like to shoot stuff. :D

· Registered
159 Posts
We were country folk. Shot my first revolver at age 5. Started hunting by myself at age 7, harvested my first deer at age 8. It was our way of life.

· Registered
6,618 Posts
Mmmmmm...I was early teens, 1968-ish, my first shot was from a Pawnee .22 LR S/A revolver and I missed the tin can I was trying to hit...

That's how it all began...I must be a natural with a gun because today, I still miss...:eek:

· Registered
128 Posts
I was 13 when I shot my first gun, a 10/22 that belonged to a friend. My mother was, and still is very anti-gun, so even having a BB gun was a tenuous situation for me.

Luckily I grew up in a small town in a rural area and had many friends who lived on farms, so I got to go shooting out in the country quite a bit. Had my first experience with a shotgun at 16 and that really got me hooked. To this day I've got way more trigger time with a 12 gauge pump than any other weapon.

Now I'm in 33 and just bought my first semi auto pistol last year, reasons being as a back-up HD gun and just a desire to become a better handgun shooter. Also considering getting my CCW permit in the near future. I never really felt the need to carry in the past, even when I lived in the city, but the way things seem to be going these days it just seems sensible to be prepared for any possibility.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Around twelve and because I was given the opportunity.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
We were country folk. Shot my first revolver at age 5. Started hunting by myself at age 7, harvested my first deer at age 8. It was our way of life.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that. My parents grew up on farms. I didn't, but did grow up next to a dairy farm. As long as I can remember, my Dad and Grandfather were hunters, fishermen, and volunteer firemen. I helped clean the deer and fish and it was just natural to continue as I got older.

I got caught up in all that "I like to shoot stuff" comment.

· Registered
5,008 Posts
I was 62 years old when I purchased a handgun for self defense and concealed carry.

This was precipitated by an attempted break-in at my home which was followed by a successful break-in at my home a few weeks later.

I vowed to never be that helpless and scared again, so I made the purchase, took classes, took instruction, learned to shoot, continue to practice, practice, practice and have applied for my concealed carry permit. This has been an empowering journey.

Viking Queen
Go, girl, go.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.