Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

· Registered
5,501 Posts
I believe I was in my teens, probably 15 when I first shot a 22 rifle.

My dad had no guns in the house, perhaps a response to having been in heavy combat during WWII. My grandfather lived next door, owned rifles and shotguns, and showed me how to clean them and handle them, but I was not allowed to shoot at that time.

When I was about 15 my dad brought home a Wards Western Field 22 rifle and gave it to me. He was working swing shift so my mother was alone at night (with me), living out in the country. My job was to protect my mother.

Of course I put a lot of rounds through that 22 as well as the old bolt action Winchester belonging to my grandfather. I have his Winchester now, and it is still a tack driver.

· Registered
17,904 Posts
I was 5 the first time and went with my Dad, Uncle and Grandpa. We shot pistols, rifles and a shotgun. I reckon it's a Texas thang to learn to shoot young.

· Registered
39 Posts
I was 5 years old as well, my older brother who was 6 and I went with my father looking for Ruffed Grouse. It was a single shot 12 gauge shot gun my brother shot first it knocked him down, I shot next and stayed on my feet, I was bigger than my older Brother and was determined not to get knocked down. After that everthing else was a breeze. Shot a lot of cans and bottles with a Stevens bolt action 22lr over the years that followed, did not get to go Deer Hunting until I was 12, used a spoterized sringfield Model 1903 30-06. Bought my first Handgun also when I was 12, a 22lr Schmidt german made single action revolver sold by Herters, cost me $22.00 including shipping.

· Registered
94 Posts
I was about seven or eight years old.
Started with a Model 04 Winchester, Single Shot Bolt Action .22.
He use to take me up to Deer Creek Canyon. South west of the Littleton Co. What fun, 1950's.
I have photo's of my Dad with a rabbit taken in 1932 on the Farm in Markle Indiana.

· Registered
91 Posts
The first gun I shot was a .22 rifle when I was about 12. My Dad took me to a private dump and we spent the day shooting cans and bottles. That lasted for the summer.

I didn't shoot another gun until I was 55. An old childhood friend of mine, stopped by with several handguns and asked if I wanted to go to the shooting range. I had a blast and my addiction started.

I now own several of my own handguns, with several more firearms on my wish-list.

· Registered
92 Posts
I was 5 in 1943 and my Uncle Carl let me shoot his .22 in the front yard (rural). We sat on a bench and rested the gun on the back and he held
the gun and let me aim and pull the trigger. It's one of those moments that will be forever imprinted in my memory.

Uncle Carl was killed in action in Italy in 1944.

My father was not a shooter or hunter so I bought my own first gun at age 16, a Remington .22. Others followed and I joined the Army Reserves and went through basic infantry training at Fort Jackson, SC in 1955 with the beloved M1 Garand. I became a police officer in 1965 and carried the S&W models 10, 36 Chief's Special and 64. for 30 years. Still carrying, shooting and reloading in the Ozarks and loving it.

This has been an empowering journey.

Viking Queen
Congratulations VQ, great decision. Welcome to a special group. .we understand.
Jack

· Registered
3 Posts
I'd shot some 22's when I was younger, but I can clearly remember the first meaningful caliber I ever shot, I was 16yrs old and sighting in a 308 British prior to my first rifle season (all bow prior to that).....not that I didn't respect the power prior to pulling the trigger, but that instant made me a serious believer.

· Registered
5,349 Posts
daisy red ryder BB gun was my gateway drug. loved that one. still have it stored somewhere. so many hours lying prostrate in the backyard, even in the snow. LOVED that daisy!!

first 'real' gun-- 12ga off the stern of the Queen Elizabeth ll while steaming toward the south pacific and new zealand. first shotgun shoulder bruise, too.

· Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
I'd shot some 22's when I was younger, but I can clearly remember the first meaningful caliber I ever shot, I was 16yrs old and sighting in a 308 British prior to my first rifle season (all bow prior to that).....not that I didn't respect the power prior to pulling the trigger, but that instant made me a serious believer.
I bought a No 5 Enfield the summer I turned 16 also. I don't know what happened to my first 22 but I still have the No 5.:)

· Registered
2 Posts
I shot pellet guns when I was young but the first time I shot a real firearm I was about 26 years old.
I was (and still am) an HVAC service tech. I was doing some maintenance work inside an indoor police firing range - it involved changing out filters inside the range every 6 weeks or so. They had to shut down the range whenever I was working there. The range master was a kindly older fellow and on my third visit to change the filters he offered me a chance to shoot a police handgun. He also gave me a bit of instruction. Of course I was keen to try it. I've been hooked ever since :)

· Registered
534 Posts
About 2/3 with a single shot .22 over the car hood with my dad according to dear old mom. About 6 first time with a 12 gauge (still remember that well).
About 5 with my Red Ryder bb gun and 11 with a real gun of my own, 20 gauge bolt action.:D

· Registered
55 Posts
Shot my Dads 38 pistol when I was 6. (1967)
Got a single shot 22 rifle when I was 10 (still have it)
Got my first deer rifle (35 Remington)when I was 12 (still have it)

· Registered
94 Posts
A touch Off Topic.
ArkieVol,
My hats off to Uncle Carl. Those are wonderful memories you have.
My Father during W.W.II built PT boats & L.S.T.'s at Robinson Marine in Benton Harbor Michigan.
I remember my father teaching me how to shoot with a Single Shot Model 04 Winchester & a Single Shot Stevens. All .22 cal, back in the early Fifty's.
With the Holidays upon us I'm thinking more about the Family members we have lost.
Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
benjammin

Thanks for asking about my previous "opinions" about guns.

I have never been opposed to owning a gun. We just never had them around the house as I was growing up. Both my parents were WWII Marines and Dad just always said he never had a use for guns after the war, and he wasn't ever a hunter.

I have always strongly believed in our 2A rights. The attempted break-in at the house and subsequent actual break-in were the catalyst for my becoming an informed, educated gun owner at the young age of 62!

Blessings, VikingQueen
My mother, who is a couple of years older then you, recently bought an LCR .38spl and is in the process of completing her CCW permit. My stepdad also has several firearms and is stocking up on more.

They now see how people are getting and the future direction this country is headed. I may prove to be fortunate that I realized all at a much younger age.

And, I might add, I have met some of the nicest, most helpful people I have ever met while pursuing this new adventure.
I huge +1 to this statement! I've pursued other interests in the past and never came across more nicer, down to earth people then in the gun enthusiast/outdoors/hunting crowd.

Sure, there are idiots and even some downright dangerous people out there, and the liberals try to paint us all as such with their broad brush stokes. But I haven't found as much of the holier-then-thou egotistical/intellectual attitudes, rank liberalism, and general weirdness with those hobbies as I have with with some other "peaceful" endeavors.

· Registered
345 Posts
My first was a pump BB Gun at age 14 that my step dad got me for Christmas. My dad HATED it but it didn't stop me from putting a few holes in my bedroom wall. Once it broke it didn't get fixed lol. I was 21 by the time I fired my sisters 9mm Glock. My first professional training was in a local Police academy with a Glock model 22. Shortly afterwards I became an MP and was introduced to tons of cool weapons.

· Registered
9,176 Posts
I was 13 years old before I got my own first firearm. My Grandfather gave me an old Iver Johnson 12ga. shotgun after first drilling me on safety first always, because he thought I was ready.
I had started out shooting friends bb guns and .22's when their fathers would take us out to their own makeshift ranges on their farms when I was about 10, I think.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.