Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How Old is grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.
The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general..

The Grandmother replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.

There were no:
credit cards
laser beams or
ball-point pens

Man had not invented:
pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first,.. .... ... and then lived together..
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers and group therapy. Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege...
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan 'on it, it was junk
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam....
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a street car, and a Pepsi were a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
In my day:
"grass" was mowed,
"coke" was a cold drink,
"pot" was something your mother cooked in and
"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
"chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store and
"software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.

No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.
How old do you think I am?
I bet you have this old lady in mind....you are in for a shock!
Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.
Are youready ??

This woman would be only 61 years old.

GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.......

PASS THIS ONTO THE OLD ONES,

THE YOUNG ONES WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Yep, born in 1951, five years prior to me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im 45 and I figured late 60s. 61 doesn't seem that far away anymore.

·
Registered
540 Posts
From another 61 year old:

Committing a crime, in fact, just acting badly in general, was not celebrated. It caused great shame. Even on the part of the perpetrator.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'm 62 and a granny, so, yup, mostly true, though penicillin was in fairly widespread use by the time I was born and I was lucky enough to get a polio shot when I was young, but otherwise, it's spot on.

No matter how I try to explain what it was like to my children and now my grandchildren, well, they just don't get it, but when my parents and especially my grandparents tried to describe their world to me, I was equally baffled. At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy duddy, I have to say things WERE so much simpler when I was a kid and so much more predictable.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I can relate to that...

That could be my little sister. :)

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
She's got 3 years on me, but I'll have to go along with most of what she said.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I was thinking 70's. I am only 30 but grew up in the sticks and joke about being a generation older. We grew up near family, out in the morning and just had to be back by dark (or they thought a bear or mountain lion could be to blame). Sure we had a tv but cable hadnt been run to our area yet so it was an antenna. The TV was a decent size at 19" (my current one is 65). I would go to work with my dad in the summers starting when I was 5 (he was a self employed electrician). Only a few years older and I was already cutting fire wood, working on cars many other chores teenagers and adults now adays dont even know how to do. First real job at 14 with school and sports as well. I had to buy my first vehicle, it was not given to me. Now there are definately things I love about modern technology, but with everything I can definately see some of the downsides as well and at times wish to go back to simpler times and ways. I would get out of the city and back to the country in a heartbeat if I could.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just a couple of months shy of being 62 here. Experienced all the above and know for a fact that things were much better then!

Most definitely an anachronism!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm two years behind that poor old woman.I can relate to most of what she was saying. Life was allot simplier then ,you didn't have to watch your back everywhere you went. Leave your house and not lock the doors. Unfortunately those days are far behind us.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Penicillin was first used in the U.S. in 1942. I was born in '44.
I contracted a staph infection as a child and if not for penicillin I would have died.
I made it by 2 years. Whew...........:)

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
My sister in law recently sent me this.

1910 Ford

This has only been 102 years ago…Amazing

Show this to your friends, children and/or grandchildren!

The year is 1910, over one hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes!

Here are some statistics for the Year 1910:

The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.

Fuel for this car was sold in drug stores only.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower !

The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.

The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian

between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME.

Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard.'

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

The Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30!

Crossword puzzles and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,
regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health'

Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.!

·
Registered
540 Posts
The ironic thing is that the cost of living, relative to the average wage, was so much higher then.
Just think: working nearly an hour for the money to buy a dozen eggs and 5 pounds of sugar would cost you an hour.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Here are some statistics for the Year 1910:

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30!

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.!
My, haven't times changed..... :D

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
Grandma must be older than 71, since she was born before television. because On March 25, 1925, Scottish inventor John Logie Baird gave the first public demonstration of televised silhouette images in motion, at Selfridge's Department Store in London.:)

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Class of ' 55 here, (57 yrs. old), and I can relate to most of Grandma's points.

We had an old black & white TV who's cabinet was as big as a Buick but the screen was about the size of a dinner plate. Had "rabbit ear" antenna's with tin foil strips wrapped around it for "finer tuning" :D

When I was kid / teenager I considered 57 to be ANCIENT :eek:!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts