Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK........How do you react to scratches, knicks, and assorted damage to the wood on your firearms?... do you mark it up to a battle scar, or are you ruined for life with that firearm? :) me on a hunting firearm, I write it off, but I have been guilty of a total flip out on an expensive gun......

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I protect my firearms the best I can. But, Stuff happens sometimes. You should see my Marlin 30-30 after 30yrs of living in the gun rack & behind the seat of many different pick-up trucks! In fact, I'll run out to the farm over the weekend & take a few pictures. It's not pretty, but it still works good!:)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

I do mine like a new truck or car. The first scratch hurts, but after that I just use it as it is. :)
+1-----then after they accumulate--i call it character!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Life scratches and dents...no problem...when someone abuses or neglects...I get angry...had a beautiful Ithica 20 s/s with chrome-lined barrels and a selective trigger/ejector/extractor...poly finish on stock...it had gotten scratched some...but my uncle talked me out of it and bought it for my nephew....his 15-year-old-I went over about 3 months later and he had it proudly displayed in an open gun rack---filthy and a powder coat of rust all over it...I was real angry......what a waste...an oily rag doesn't take much time...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Most things on a gun can be refinished so I don't worry to much about scratches and nicks from normal use and hunting adventures, but I do also despise neglect and abuse. Yes they are objects of affection but I have yet to purchase a gun to just look at and just like me the nicks,scratches and wrinkles are marks of character.:D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't like 'em but it doesn't drive me crazy like it once did. Years ago I loaned a buddy of mine my mint Winchester 1400 to take rabbit hunting. He brought it back with a big ding in the stock. At the time I wasn't too happy but I've mellowed a bit with age. LOL

·
Registered
304 Posts
It will always bother me to put a new scratch on any of my guns. I love them all dearly. It's an inevitability that comes with actually using them. I just grit my teeth and try to pretend it didn't happen.

·
Banned
282 Posts
If I had anything of a collector quality, I might get upset, but I see my guns as tools. I keep them clean and in good operating condition, but they are tools and will show signs of wear. If you don't want to scratch them, keep them locked up and never use them.

I recently read somewhere, that keeping handguns in an old cotton sock will protect the finish while stacked in your safe.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
It used to really bother me. In those days I had really nice guns with pretty wood. Now days my guns are all work guns...synthetic stocks, polymer frames, stainless etc. I still take care of them, they still get scratched, but I don't cry over it any more. (Well that big dent in my 77 Hornet's stock almost made me cry.:(

·
too great for words
661 Posts
most of my guns I got used and scratched so it's not a big deal. the ones that were nice and got scratched later it was kinda a bummer but oh well. then again the most expensive gun I own is my ruger p345pr. when I buy a gun I try to keep in mind that sooner or later it WILL get scratched.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
As previously posted, it is just Character. I have one CCW that is engraved and in the process of getting another. I think the general wear on them gives them Character. How many of the old Cowboy Guns have you seen that didn't show wear. I think if we use them, and then hand them down to our Grandchildren, they will appreciate them more if it shows that they have been used by us. I don't think a Safe Queen means as much as a gun that has been used, and has a lot of stories behind it. Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I prefer my guns to show some good honest wear on them. Not neglect or abuse, just wear. Stuff I buy is made to be used. If I want to see pristine, I'll go to a museum.

People are the most interesting when they have had real life experiences. So are guns, clothes, cars, etc.

WM

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't particularly like them. I loaned my Winchester 1400 to a buddy years ago to go hunting with. The shotgun was in 100% pristine condition but upon return, he brought it back with a big ding on the stock.

When I have my any gun out that has wooden furniture, I do my best to keep it nick free. [:p]

·
Banned
723 Posts
All my guns are for shooting.

I take care of them, but they pick up wear marks along the way, even my SAA. It's honest wear, and I have them with the intention of using them, so it doesn't bother me too much. At least with the right medication and time at the Psychatrist's office I can get over it. :D

J/K My guns are for shooting. Like I said, honest wear doesn't bother me, neglect does.

Biker

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are certain guns of mine that I like to keep pristine but the ones I used as my CCW I don't mind that they show wear. My grandfather recently gave me a Colt Trooper Mark V Nickel plated in .357 with an 8" barrel. It had hardly been fired but there was a little tarnish from sitting in a case for probably 10 years or more. I got some Flitz and all the tarnish came right off. Thats probably a gun I will rarely fire and keep pristine. That and my 4" anaconda thats magnaported. :) As far as my other guns... I keep them looking nice but I didn't freak out when I dropped my XD or my P95

·
Super Moderator
22,134 Posts
It depends on how much it hurt to be able purchase the firearm. I have an old beater 20 ga Mossberg 500 that I probably couldn't tell if I put another scratch on it. My Red Label would really hurt if I put any scratches on it. Most of my hunting firearms have synthetic stocks so they can take some rough use but at the end of the day they get broken down, cleaned and lightly oiled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts