Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this gun late 2019. The mag drops a lot when firing it.

Honestly, it is a very stupid design in where they put the mag release and this gun should not be recommended to anyone. I wish I was warned about this issue before buying it, would never have purchased it and highly recommend anyone not purchase this gun because of the design.

What is the best way to deal with this issue?

·
Registered
64 Posts
“Common mag release issue?“ I guess I missed the complaints so not understandIng the issue I cannot offer a suggestion. I have an LCP II and have not experienced any issues. Are you saying that the mag drops out when firing because it is defective or because the release is depressed by your grip when you fire the gun? I can see how the release could be a problem for a left hand dominant shooter or a person with big hands. More details please.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts

Honestly, it is a very stupid design in where they put the mag release and this gun should not be recommended to anyone. I wish I was warned about this issue before buying it, would never have purchased it and highly recommend anyone not purchase this gun because of the design.

I don't see it as a design issue... I've had an original LCP since 2010 and now an LCP II for the past several years and never had the issue with either with well over 2000 rounds fired.

While yours may have an issue cuz someone put it together wrong, my first guess is that you are putting pressure on the mag release while you are firing it.

Does everyone else who fires it have the exact same issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
See this thread for another example of this problem: LCP 2 mag drop issues!!!

Solution is to replace the magazine release spring with this one: Ruger LCP / LCP II Extra Power Mag Release Spring.

I had the same problem. It gets worse the more you fire the gun to the point that it was dropping out several times for every reload. Made very sure that I was not hitting the mag release. Had another person video me while firing. Had an instructor at the range fire it and he had just as many mag drops as well and told me the gun was defective. It was very clear that the problem had nothing to do with hitting the magazine release while firing.

After putting in the MCARBO spring, I've fired over 300 or so rounds without another drop so far.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have had the mag drop on my LCP II a couple of times then read some posts about the release button location may be the problem. Checked and adjusted my grip and and no mo problems. I think Tandemxross makes a replacement spring for the mag release that may solve the problem too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See this thread for another example of this problem: LCP 2 mag drop issues!!!

Solution is to replace the magazine release spring with this one: Ruger LCP / LCP II Extra Power Mag Release Spring.

I had the same problem. It gets worse the more you fire the gun to the point that it was dropping out several times for every reload. Made very sure that I was not hitting the mag release. Had another person video me while firing. Had an instructor at the range fire it and he had just as many mag drops as well and told me the gun was defective. It was very clear that the problem had nothing to do with hitting the magazine release while firing.

After putting in the MCARBO spring, I've fired over 300 or so rounds without another drop so far.
Thanks This is exactly what I was looking for. I knew there had to be a fix for the problem by now.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I feel your pain on this one. I had the same issue with mine even after sending it back to Ruger for repair. The repair lasted about 100 rounds or so and then it came back. The issue being the magazine pops out after the first round is fired, or any round for that matter. It's not a grip issue. It occurs when firing with one hand. A local GunSmith, who I trust, had the same issues. Fortunately the shop where I purchased this gun took it back after they test fired it themselves. May be the original LCP was better but as for the LCP II...not for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I Sent my LCP II back to Ruger 4 times for various reasons, one of them being this issue. On the fourth time Ruger destroyed the gun and offered me a different model at their expense. So keep sending it back as long as your issues are legitimate and you may end up with a different model if the LCP II doesn’t work out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I Sent my LCP II back to Ruger 4 times for various reasons, one of them being this issue. On the fourth time Ruger destroyed the gun and offered me a different model at their expense. So keep sending it back as long as your issues are legitimate and you may end up with a different model if the LCP II doesn’t work out.
I also had that same experience with a misbehaving Mini-14 that was a huge disappointment. They replaced it outright and the replacement was worse than the original. Of the many issues the rifle had, the most interesting was the fact it would often fire multiple rounds with one squeeze of the trigger. In the end I upgraded to an SR556. While it was a frustrating process to go through I was always happy with their customer service. Ok so everybody says that...but great customer service doesn't make up for a design issue.

My experience with the LCP II reinforced my theory that these micro-sized 380s are not for me; they're just too finicky. After getting rid of the LCP II I still own two other 380s: a Sig P238 and the Beretta Pico. Both are exceptional for their intended purpose. They are useful for deep concealment when I have no other practical choice.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
63 Posts
My experience with the LCP II reinforced my theory that these micro-sized 380s are not for me; they're just too finicky. After getting rid of the LCP II I still own two other 380s: a Sig P238 and the Beretta Pico. Both are exceptional for their intended purpose.
I was thinking about the P238 b/c I now have a bunch of .380 ammo and no gun chambered in that caliber. My P365 has been flawless and other Sigs I’ve shot have been amazing as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was thinking about the P238 b/c I now have a bunch of .380 ammo and no gun chambered in that caliber. My P365 has been flawless and other Sigs I’ve shot have been amazing as well.
I've had the Tuxedo Edition P238 for about 4 years; I've put about 2500 rounds through it or so. About every 600-800 rounds I swap out the recoil spring. And, recently I had to swap out the mag catch spring because sometimes the 7-round mag would pop out while in my holster and sometimes while shooting it. This was an easy problem to troubleshoot and correct. Whenever I noticed it was taking less force to depress the mag release button I would swap out the mag catch spring. Routine maintenance for sure. For some strange reason I had fewer problems with the flush-fit magazine. The extended magazine seemed a little more problematic. This gun is simply the most accurate subcompact I've ever owned. I frequently shoot it at 25 yards and I'm able to keep them all inside an 8" target at that distance (shooter limitation). Mine is not ammo sensitive and I regularly shoot it with Federal HSTs. I've also owned a P938 since 2013, and I've had the same experience with it. Accurate, easy to shoot, and requires periodic spring changes to keep it reliable.

Reactions: Ctusser
1 - 11 of 11 Posts