Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first handgun. I bought the gun without really telling the wife I was doing so. I had hinted about it and she never said anything. Now that I have my SR9, she isn't very happy about it. She isn't demanding I sell it or anything, but she sure don't like to hear me talk about it. So God forbid if she even sees it!

I told her I would keep the gun locked as well as keep the locked gun in a locked cabinet. I told her it was for the fun of shooting, not anything sinister. But she just isn't comfortable with a gun in the house.

We have no kids in the house, but do have a grandchild and another on the way - That is why I am keeping it under "house arrest".

So my question is, is there anything I can do to ease her concerns?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well good luck. My wife does not like guns. Strange to her growing up on ranches in west tx. We have her fathers guns. Mine & his are in a gun safe. I do have a few in safe places around the house for self defence. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
bro i understand how u feel, all you have to do is explain it to her that its a hobby that i enjoy and it makes me happy. i have found it better to ask for forgiveness than permission when purchasing a weapon of any sort, but thats just me. she should have her space and time to tend to her hobbies and so should you.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Offer to teach her how to use it. Maybe if she has some hands on experience and realizes it isn't an evil tool of the devil she'll think differently about it. Maybe not, but it may be worth trying.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Maybe take her out to shoot. You can tell her that since it's in the house you want her to know how it operates as a safety thing.

Who knows, she might really like it. My GF actually giggles after a day at the range.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Give her a little time to get used to the idea. Also, try to introduce her to other folks, especially couples, that shoot. When she learns that shooters are just people like everyone else and not some lunatics, she'll ease up a bit.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Um... threaten to shoot her if she doesn't come around to your point to of view?

Hmmmm... maybe not such a good idea. :)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
You never know what may change her mind. Maybe seeing how much you enjoy shooting.

My wife was not happy that I had my grandfather's guns in the house along with the Ruger Mark I that I bought in 1976. I didn't shoot for 30 years.

Early this year I got the Mark I out and went to the local range. I had fun so in the past few months I've purchased 5 firearms and run through a lot of ammo.

She sees how happy it makes me to go shooting, how much enjoyment I get reading about guns, and now she's all for it. She's actually gone along when I bought new guns.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with everybody else here. Try to take her out shooting. My wife didn't like the thought of guns either, once I got her shooting she likes it a lot now.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I agree with everybody else here. Try to take her out shooting. My wife didn't like the thought of guns either, once I got her shooting she likes it a lot now.
Yup...give it time! Let her see how much you enjoy it and maybe she'll warm up to it! My wife, initially, asked me to help her find a gun for her right after we got married...and it's changed a few times, from a Beretta Cheetah .380 acp to a Glock 26 to a 2.25" Ruger SP 101 in .38+p to a Gen II Glock 19....but she really enjoys shooting now!

The best thing I ever did was buy a 4" SP101 in .22lr (older, 6-shot model) and let her just have fun with that! She'll shoot that thing all day long! Previously, she refused to shoot my GP100...but after shooting the .22lr, she will pick up the GP100 and fire 6 rounds of 158 grain Hornady XTP JHP's...and not flinch! She has also improved dramatically with her Glock! Every time we shoot...she warms up with about 100 rounds of .22lr...and then starts shooting her 9mm...now her groupings are 6-8" at about 25'...which I am very happy with!

I showed her how to use the little .22lr revolver...handed it to her and stepped away! I let her learn to enjoy it and, wa-la...she's become a moderately proficient shooter!

Just one way to go at it...

Good luck!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Offer to teach her how to use it. Maybe if she has some hands on experience and realizes it isn't an evil tool of the devil she'll think differently about it. Maybe not, but it may be worth trying.
Good idea but not with the SR9. Have her shoot a 22 first.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Give it time....it took my wife about a year before she was comfortable. We went shooting, started her on a 22/45 so as not to spook her with loud bang and harsh recoil. Now she shoots .38s like a champ and really enjoys it! Give her time, be understanding and respectful of her feelings. We fear things we don't understand....once she feels comfortable handling a gun, she'll be more open to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For an anniversary or birthday gift tell her all you want is for her to go shooting with you at the range one time.

Slowly mold her into not only dealing with gun ownership but involve her in it. Show her its not something to be afraid of if you're safe, responsible, and ethical about owning a firearm.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to find a man that likes guns as much as I do. It seems men are intimidated by a chick with guns.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did offer to take her to the range and I got "that" look. Over the weekend we went to a wedding and at the reception, we were sitting with friends we both grew up with and I brought up I had bought a gun. Even with my friends piping in they had guns and we should get together on one of their farms to shoot, she was a no-go.

Maybe time will help, I sure hope so.

I will say she was dead set against me getting a motorcycle for the first 26 years of our marriage, but she relented and I can't keep her off the back now!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i dont really have any great words of wisdom, just what i did from the beginning, picked a chick who i knew wouldnt say anything about me owning firearms. if they didnt like them, i didnt pick them lol.

i guess knoweledge is the key, let her use the gun, if she sees that it cannot go off with by itself it may not be so "dangerous" in her eyes...

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to find a man that likes guns as much as I do. It seems men are intimidated by a chick with guns.
We aren't intimidated by a chick with guns, we are intimidated by a chick that knows more than we do about guns.:p

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Some sure are. Good guys are out there, though. My husband is one of them. He wasn't much of a shooter until he met me. He's still not as nutty as I am, but he does his share of the shooting, now, and has been a pretty good student. Shooting is a great activity for a couple.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Great advice given here. I agree, it'll take time. Public opinion of guns is that their dangerous. It's the mindset some people have because of ignorance and what they see or hear on tv. Like stated above, we fear what we don't understand.

My wife was the same way, but slowly came around through education and handling my guns. Eventually it eased her fears to where she was confident enough to want to go shoot with me. She has a new perspective on guns now and I've got a new shooting buddy. Good luck to you friend.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
About 20 years ago I wanted a new gun and my wife didn't want me to get one because she didn't think I needed another one. I told her dad and he talked to her and said a man needs lots of guns. Never had a problem after that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts