Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To clean my 77-357 Rotary Mag. I've tried a Q tip and CLP but I can't get the Q tip in all over. I would rather not take it apart so I have been thinking about soaking it in mineral spirits. Is this a good idea or will I hurt the plastic? Or, do you have a better way? :eek:
Thanks

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I'm not sure mineral spirits are the best solvent to clean a magazine. I doubt it will hurt the plastic, though.

I've never owned a rifle with a rotary magazine, but if they are similar to typical magazines, the LAST thing I'd want in it or on it would be a CLP. I would want mine to be dry.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and break it down and use Hoppe's #9 solvent. After cleaning, I'd wipe the parts down with a cloth moistened with 2-3 drops of oil or your favorite CLP. Everything should be dry to the touch before reassembly.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thou shalt not pour thy wine, water or the ooze from the earth into thy magazines. Thou shalt take them apart and remove all that is foreign and strange and thou shalt break them down and make them as clean as the day of their birth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To clean my 77-357 Rotary Mag. I've tried a Q tip and CLP but I can't get the Q tip in all over. I would rather not take it apart so I have been thinking about soaking it in mineral spirits. Is this a good idea or will I hurt the plastic? Or, do you have a better way? :eek:
Thanks
Taking it apart and putting it back together isn't really that hard. When I had my 77/357 each of my three mags would get rim lock occasionally with magnum rounds and constantly with 38 Special rounds. I noticed that the rotor wasn't spinning smoothly unless I loosened the allen bolt holding the mag together. Once I seated the mag back in the rifle the rotor would get "sticky" again because the front and back of the mag housing were being squeezed back to together. So I took them apart to see what was causing the problem.

All it takes is a properly sized allen wrench and to make note of how things fit together. Take pictures with your smart phone, or camera, at each step as you take it apart so you can see how it's supposed to go back together- if you like.

What I found was that there were flashing marks on the front and back of the "rotor". I used a pocket knife to lightly scrape off the flashing then I used Rem Oil (in the bottle- not aerosol) on a patch to lightly clean off the gunk- then wiped it dry. From previous experience Rem oil makes an excellent "light" lubricant for plastic parts - just wipe it dry afterwards.

It's really not hard to put one back together because the parts will only work one way. I found them easier to work on than the 10/22 or 77/22 rotors because the 77/357 and 77/44 mags are bigger. With the flashing on the rotor removed and a light cleaning with Rem Oil, that I wiped dry, I was able to tighten up the allen bolt holding it together so that the mags dropped free and the rotor now turned freely (didn't drag). Afterwards It fed both 38 Special and Magnum rounds with no trouble at all.

The only other option I can think of, if you don't want to take the mags apart, is to use an aerosol dry lubricant but I wouldn't want to spray anything in a mag that I couldn't wipe out and you can't wipe the internal mag housing dry if you don't take it apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts