Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local sporting goods/firearms dealer this afternoon, pretty much just looking for a shotgun for shooting slugs at whitetail for my grandson. I openly confess I’m not much of a shotgun guy so I naturally got to looking at rifles, when what to my wondering eyes did appear but a Browning model 78 with octagon barrel in 22-250 equipped with a 6-18x40 Redfield scope affixed just above the gorgeous immaculately blued octagon barrel and gleaming, marvelously grained Walnut wood. This rascal is at least 98%!

My wife was with me (she has nothing else to do) and I looked at her and said, “this is the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen”. And she said…..”get it”!

“But it’s almost a thousand dollars, I protested”!

She said….”that’s okay, if you want it, get it”.

But guess what?

I know ya’ll ain’t gunna believe this………I left without it.

Yup, I did.

I wasn’t quite sure if I wanted a rifle in 22-250, what I really want is a rifle in .257 Weatherby magnum. Not that there’s anything wrong with 22-250, I just kinda have my heart set on the .257 Wby. I really have an appreciation for single shot-falling block rifles. By my calculations, all you need for a kill is one shot, and anything else is just fluff.

It’s a bit of a toss up between this and a Ruger #1 in the same caliber, due primarily to the fact that anything in .257 WBY is a little difficult to locate.

I’ve always thought that indecision was the key to flexibility, but in this case, it’s the key to going home empty handed………

Here's a picture I stole off Gun Broker:

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RugerDog

You didn't go home empty handed - you went home with a great wife...
+1

You have a wonderful woman there.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Spoil that little Lady rotten-mine would have said "You don't need to go in there"---waited in the car, and changed the channels on the radio while she fumed.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point!

I may still go back and get it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Browning knows how to finish a firearm-they do the little things that make the siren song in our ears "Take me home"-I had a Lever .308 in the 70's-fit and finish were flawless and I knew I wasn't going hunting anytime soon-bought it anyway.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Rifle like that is just too purty to shoot. Sure would look good hanging on my wall though.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Rifle like that is just too purty to shoot. Sure would look good hanging on my wall though.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well Bunzo I see you got yourself a Angel there too. That model 78 sure would be good for varmits of all sizes. That's a real hard one to walk away from. If you do go back, and get it don't forget to pick up something nice for the Lady of the house. Good luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
First things first! You've got a great wife! Cherish her! :)

2nd thing: I dunno about you! Go back and get that rifle! If you decide you really don't want the 22-250, have it rebarreled/rechambered in another caliber.

Then you'll have the best of both worlds! :D

My favorite lever gun is the Browning BLR.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve given some thought to the rebarrel idea too.

This ain’t over yet. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
The older I get, the easier it is for me to go home empty handed. I am not near as impulsive about guns as I once was. It really has to flip my fancy as well as be a decent price before I will buy one these days.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My dollars have to stretch too far for me to be impulsive-I'm more likely to buy used than new-but were I a millionaire, I'd probably have only a dozen handguns and 4 rifles and 2 shotguns-the difference would be that I'd have time and a place to shoot much more-maybe even hunt again....fondling is nice, but there's nothing like the "Boom"!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts