Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all and thanks for letting me join. Twenty plus years ago I bought a mini 14. It was owned by a local police chief. He had it fitted with a nice quick detachable scope and bi-pod. Came with tactical case and a bunch of large capacity mags. I had hoped it would be accurate coming set up like that. It’s not !! What can I do to make this accurate! I would appreciate any advise. Thx in advance

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Not a mini 14 expert but accurate is a relative term. 3 inch groups at 100 yards is accurate to some while others maybe looking for 1/2 inch groups.

Also older mini’s do not hold the groups of 2015+ mini‘s when Ruger retooled the line. The standard with new retooled version is sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

You should be able to consistly hit an 8 inch gong at 100 yards with the rifle which for most hunting and self defense applications is good.

Anyway, another big welcome to the from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Exchequer
4,421 Posts
Move the target closer?

I'm sure others here will have better ideas to help improve accuracy .....but it's always worked for me!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The Mini's ain't known for their accuracy, (I'm glad I never bought one, I'd probably have all my hair pulled out by now).......Maybe trade it in on an RPR. :D

Greetings from the Show Me State.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,530 Posts
Sandog and Rjf with be here shortly im sure. They can tell you the best practices. The accustrut will definately help. i have 2 one on a 88 mini 14 and one on a 98 mini 30.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yes the accustrut cut my groups from 4 MOA to 2 MOA. Also, it will do better with premium .223 ammo as compared to fmj or 5.56. Federal Fusion works well as does Speer Gold dot 64gr.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,530 Posts
Yes the accustrut cut my groups from 4 MOA to 2 MOA. Also, it will do better with premium .223 ammo as compared to fmj or 5.56. Federal Fusion works well as does Speer Gold dot 64gr.
I shoot the 75 grain hornady with h4895 in mine with 1.5 to 2 moa results, better than the 55 for sure. Have the accustrut on mine, its a pencil barrel version.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hello to all and thanks for letting me join. Twenty plus years ago I bought a mini 14. It was owned by a local police chief. He had it fitted with a nice quick detachable scope and bi-pod. Came with tactical case and a bunch of large capacity mags. I had hoped it would be accurate coming set up like that. It’s not !! What can I do to make this accurate! I would appreciate any advise. Thx in advance
Don't feel bad. I had mine for 27 years before I started reading about how inaccurate it was. Bought it in 1988 and never fired it from a bench rest until 2015. Sure enough, they were right. I was getting around 2 inch groups at 50 yards. Now with the Accustrut, I can get 2 inches at 100 if I concentrate.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The Accustrut is the very best thing you can do to help an older pencil barrel Mini. make sure you get the two clamp model and do the recommended "dimple option".
As others have said, it cut my groups in half, and helps eliminate vertical stringing by keeping the barrel more consistent temperature wise.

A shorter barrel acts like a stiffer, less whippy one. Cutting an inch or two off the barrel helps.
The factory crown isn't the greatest and can be improved on. Adding a flash hider, if it is legal where you live, also helps barrel harmonics in a good way.

Doing a trigger job and adding shims in the stock if there is side to side play of the receiver is also helpful.

There are charts out there that will tell you what rifling twist your barrel has. Matching bullet weight to the twist will get the most out of your barrel. A 1 in 7 " twist will generally like heavier bullets, 65 to 77 grains.
I have had Minis with 1 in 9 " twist barrel that also shot well with 77 grain loads.
A faster 1 in 10 " twist will generally do better with lighter bullets like 55 to 62 grain.
Ditch the quick detachable scope and bipod, no one is going to be asking you to take out insurgents at 400 meters.
All a Mini needs is a Tech rear sight and a good (preferably forward mounted ) red dot.
All my Minis have 3 MOA Burris Fast Fires and I can put all my shots in a coffee can size group at 300 meters.
And a 1 ounce FastFire isn't going to turn your Mini into a 9 pound unwieldy beast like a Mini with scope and bipod is.

Forget the guys that brag how their AR will shoot 1/2" MOA, most that I've seen shoot are lucky to do 5 MOA.
If you can do 2 MOA, you'll be fine out as far as you reasonably need to shoot.
I'd rather be a 1/2 MOA shooter with a 2 MOA carbine than be a 5 MOA shooter with a 1/2 MOA carbine.

Be aware that if you decide to go with the excellent Tech rear sight on an older Mini with the fat single blade front sight, you'll have to file off some height of the front, as those single blade sights are too high.
A good upgrade with the Tech is replacing the fat single blade front with the newer winged front sight.

·
Army CW3
1,041 Posts
Welcome to rugerforum.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest! HOOAAAHHHH!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.