Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger MKIII .22 pistol. I am a newbie on the forum looking for advice. I continually get into trouble when disassembling/and re- my pistol and think the mag disconnect safety is the problem. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,360 Posts
Ruger MKIII .22 pistol. I am a newbie on the forum looking for advice. I continually get into trouble when disassembling/and re- my pistol and think the mag disconnect safety is the problem. Any info would be appreciated.
Mach1 ... welcome to the forum. When you say "get into trouble" what specifically happens, and is this problem during a normal field strip or are you talking a detail strip of the grip frame here?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
All the magazine safety requires during a field strip is inserting the magazine at the appropriate times. Any other issues are unrelated to the magazine safety. The biggest stumbling block to getting a Mark back together is usually the hammer stud being in the right position when you replace the mainspring housing.

Getting rid of the magazine safety is relatively cheap. Only requires the purchase of a Mark II hammer bushing (about $8) or you can even make your own washer and use the MKIII bushing. Does require some tricky gunsmithing to get the job done, first time out, though not at all impossible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I need to become more proficient at the separate steps involved in dis/reassembly of my MKIII instead of reengineering its design. I saw a step by step for a 22/45 MKIII would it be the same for mine. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Maybe I need to become more proficient at the separate steps involved in dis/reassembly of my MKIII instead of reengineering its design. I saw a step by step for a 22/45 MKIII would it be the same for mine. Thanks for the advice.
Yup, basically the same. Your instruction manual will get you by and plenty of videos, out there, too, from what I've heard.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,360 Posts
mach1 ... one of the best step by step links for the MKIII can be found at the following link Mark III Fieldstripping Procedures . It's hard to go wrong following this one. Also, the decision to remove the magazine disconnect doesn't substantially impact the process of field stripping and reassembly. Most who remove the disconnect do so because:
1. It allows the magazine to fall freely when released
2. They want to be able to fire it with one in the chamber and the magazine out, or ...
3. Due to their inherent dislike for added safety features

While all are legitimate issues, I personally prefer to leave safety features in place. Regardless of what you decide regarding the disconnect, the MKIII is a great pistol and will provide a lifetime of service and fun as long as you properly maintain it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.