Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son recently bought a Ruger GP-100 and is wanting to replace the rear factory sight with a XS rear sight. The new XS sights didn’t come with instructions and he has not been able to find any how to information on the internet. He was able to replace the front sight with no problems. He has already tried unscrewing the little flathead screw on the rear sight but noticed the blade would not easily come out. And he didn’t want to force it before knowing for sure if he’s suppose too.

Can anyone post a link or give us some info on how to replace it?

Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a pin in the front that must be drifted out. Then the screw is loosened all the way. Be careful there are two springs underneath the sight. Don’t loose these. I first tighten all the way, and count the clicks it takes to get there. That way, if I decide to put it back on, I can go right back to where it was.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the parts picture Shoot shared its the #54 sight blade that will be replaced. So after removing the sight adjustment screw #58 does the #54 sight blade come out sideways in the same direction that the screw came out? Or will it come out from the top?

·
Registered
372 Posts
It comes out from the top, but there is also a spring in there and it must fit on the point of the blade. You need to slide it in on an angle until the spring compresses, then the other side will slide in. It takes a few tries to get it, but a little trial and error, and I am sure you will be successful. When only replacing the blade, I leave the sight on the gun as it seems to be easier to handle.

·
Registered
372 Posts
After breaking several rear sight blades on gp100’s, I started buying Bowen Classic Arms target sights for my gp100’s. The sight picture is amazing, and they are tough. Not inexpensive, but in my opinion, worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Wheelguns and Shoot for the feedback. I will pass this on to my son and today and I know he will be grateful for the information. This forum is the best.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheelguns, it looks heavier compared to the factory sight too. The blade he’s putting on is XS V-shape style and is the same thickness as the factory one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The bowen sights are much heavier. I never could get used to a v notch sight.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree with Wheelguns about the Bowen sight. Both of my GP's have them. The sights are offered in several blade configurations: plain black, v-notch and white outline. Bowen also offers a target version that is quicker to adjust.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,897 Posts
+1 on the Bowen Rough Country rear sight. I have them on several GP100s and my Alaskan. The Alaskan has a V-notch rear. Good stuff, a bit spendy and at times out of stock but a nice upgrade nonetheless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts