Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys don't know where the post this question but I put it on here I have a member from a different state that wants to buy my AR 15. PayPal does not honor firearms transactions.how do I go about collecting payment.I gnosis he's in a different state I have to ship it to an FF L dealer but how do you guys sell guns online through private seller without PayPal.Any input would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
995 Posts
Th easiest and safest method is to have the purchaser send you a USPS Money Order. Once received, you can verify that it is valid at the post office and deposit it, then ship the rifle to the buyers FFL Dealer.

·
Banned
650 Posts
If you have a gunbroker account you can use the gunbroker payment system. Just list the gun as buy it now instead of an auction.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I've never used it but pistolpay.com seems like a way to offer some protection for the buyer and seller.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
USPS Money Order is very common, even on GunBroker. Probably the most common form of payment. Regardless of what form of payment you choose the buyer sends you the money (and a copy of the FFL) and when you are satisfied it is valid then you ship the gun to his FFL. You can choose to accept whatever form of payment you like as long as you're satisfied on your end it's legit (wait for a check to clear, whatever.)

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
You can use paypal, under the gift option as someone else said. Just don't list an auction or mention anywhere that it's for a firearm.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
You can use paypal, under the gift option as someone else said. Just don't list an auction or mention anywhere that it's for a firearm.
Yes - critically important that PayPal doesn't find out as you are violating their rules which you agreed to when you opened your account. The party in the transaction that bears the full brunt of PayPal's fury is the recipient of the funds. If you are caught your funds will be frozen and your account terminated. It will create a minor nightmare for both parties as you sort out the money side of your deal.

I stumbled into such a situation myself on the very first gun I bought off GunBroker. The seller said he accepted PayPal for payment and I had enough in my PayPal account, so sure - it was easy. Unfortunately neither the seller nor I were aware of the rules we had agreed to in setting up our PayPal accounts (long before this transaction) and somehow we tipped off the PayPal watchdogs that it was a gun transaction. Well that was a hot mess. The funds were frozen and the sellers account was locked up. He was an attorney out west so he took on the PayPal powers that be and eventually got the money routed back into my account. I then had to send him another form of payment and the whole fiasco delayed me getting the gun for a least two weeks. It didn't really affect my PayPal account in any negative way - PayPal seems to blame the funds recipient for these transgressions. Since the OP is the recipient in this case I would proceed with utmost caution. You are relying on the complicity of the buyer in making sure you fly under the PayPal radar and based on my experience the risk is all on the seller/recipient of PayPal funds.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Use PayPal for small things.
A bank money order or a USPS money order is the best way to go on a transaction like that.
This gives you the ability to backtrack what anybody has to say about the transaction.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Money order. Or your merchant account if you're doing it as a business. No PayPal, both because of the guns thing and the fraud rate has been rising.

Cashiers' check and wire transfer work for many too.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts