Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knife in question is a hefty, beautiful B枚ker 440C hunting knife. I like it very much, but the sheath has always made me nervous because of the loose fit. If you hold the sheath upside down and give it even the slightest shake, there's not enough tension to keep the knife from falling out.

If I were out hunting with it on my belt and slipped and fell, things could turn out badly.

I'm thinking that shrinking the whole thing up should be as easy as getting it wet then drying it with a hair dryer. Any other good practices for tightening a sheath up quite a bit?

Registered
You could put a couple drops of "superglue" inside the sheath, near the stitching, and then clamp it tightly for a few hours. That might tighten up the sheath enough to make it hold.

Jim

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could put a couple drops of "superglue" inside the sheath, near the stitching, and then clamp it tightly for a few hours. That might tighten up the sheath enough to make it hold.

Jim
Should it worry me that the emergency room doctor's first answer is "super glue"? LOL :D

Registered
Soak the sheath in luke warm water for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from water and insert knife. Use fingers to form the sheath around the knife for a tight fit. remove knife and dry the knife off very well. Let sheath set several days in a warm room to completely dry. When storing the knife for long periods, do not store the knife in the sheath. Leather will draw moisture from the air and your blade will rust. I have seen even stainless steel blades get rust pits from long term storage in a leather sheath.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soak the sheath in luke warm water for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from water and insert knife. Use fingers to form the sheath around the knife for a tight fit. remove knife and dry the knife off very well. Let sheath set several days in a warm room to completely dry. When storing the knife for long periods, do not store the knife in the sheath. Leather will draw moisture from the air and your blade will rust. I have seen even stainless steel blades get rust pits from long term storage in a leather sheath.
Thanks!!

Registered
HBK was spot on. You can also take a thin piece of leather and make a strap you can tie it or pin it down or add a hasp like the ones I have in this picture. And like HBK said; don't ever store a knife in a sheath.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HBK was spot on. You can also take a thin piece of leather and make a strap you can tie it or pin it down or add a hasp like the ones I have in this picture.
Thanks. I should have followed up. I did soak it and let it dry several days and it's definitely tighter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts