Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't reloaded in years but, due to the ammo shortage, been think bout gettin back into reloading .38 Special + 9mm. Does the availability of primers powder + bullets make that feasible these days? Really don't shoot enough to make it economical, thinkin more of a hobby during the long winter. We normally cruises in the winter. Waitin to hear from Carnival about our Jan 10th Panama Canal booking, doubt it will sail.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Powder is pretty available here in Texas.
There are Zero primers of any kind on the shelf or online.
Almost impossible to get unless you are very lucky.
Find primers first and the other things should be available.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys, just checked the RCBS + Lee Precision websites, all the reloading kits are out of stock also. I'd go ballistic, if I did find a kit, buy a bench, get it all mounmted + couldn't find stinkin primers. I'll try Fleabay now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The reloading store said they expect Primers some time in the summer of 2021.
Bullet availability is intermittent. The places allowing back orders are not getting them. The places allowing to sign up to notify when available get them for a day or two and then they are gone again.
No new brass to be had. Used brass drawing a premium.
Powder available.

The only way to get primers and new brass is to buy manufactured ammo, which went up last week from $650 per 1000 to $865 per 1000.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not a good time to buy anything gun related. Anything can be had at the right price. Not much sense in buying a good car if you can't get any gas or find some for $20/gal at the green new deal price.

Reactions: jarhead127

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reloading store said they expect Primers some time in the summer of 2021.
Bullet availability is intermittent. The places allowing back orders are not getting them. The places allowing to sign up to notify when available get them for a day or two and then they are gone again.
No new brass to be had. Used brass drawing a premium.
Powder available.

The only way to get primers and new brass is to buy manufactured ammo, which went up last week from $650 per 1000 to $865 per 1000.
That's what I used to do, buy factory ammo + reload the brass a few times + pitch it. Great hobby and you can develop some really kewl rounds.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try to buy online here in Italy , the gunshops are always well furnished . They can't sell the powder online but primers an bullets are available . For the bullets try www.targetbullets.com or www.romanametalli.com . I think the only problem is the cost of expedition because of the weight. For the primers try:
I'll check into that, I'd much rather spend money with Italy than China, thanx!

·
Registered
269 Posts
It is almost impossible to find primers out here. The ones that show up on different sites are snatched up quickly but I haven't seen any pistol or rifle primers in a while. I reload for shotgun and was able to find some 209 primers but they went quickly also. Powder is limited but available. Dies and reloaders not so much.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate all the input. Not really tryin to save money, I really used to enjoy reloading. But it'd be really frustrating if I buy the reload supplies, buy a workbench adequate for a press, get all the dies and not be able to find stinkin primers. Think I'll look around + see what I can find used.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For me powder hasn't been a problem at all the LGS usually has what I want and the price is about the same as pre-panic.

Bullets are harder to find and more expensive but not insanely so if you're willing to wait 8 weeks or so for them to ship.

Primers are tough. I've been lucky and the last few times I've visited my local store he had some with a limit of 500 per customer with prices that weren't too much higher than before. The owner did mention that it's getting harder for him to get primers so they may not have any next time I go there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's unbelievable that in the NRA country there are no primers to buy !!! I'm very sad for you !!! Why there are no primers in the gunshops??? Is the production non enough for the need ? Have all the American reoladers bought any primer in the gunshops ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's unbelievable that in the NRA country there are no primers to buy !!! I'm very sad for you !!! Why there are no primers in the gunshops??? Is the production non enough for the need ? Have all the American reoladers bought any primer in the gunshops ?
You'd have to understand our government. If they want to create a shortage, they simply move in and buy everything up. If the NYSE drops too badly, they simply move in + buy equities. Or, raise the interest rate + drive out small business. It's called the FREE MARKET SYSTEM and like everything that rolls off their lips, it's total BS (both parties)!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good Lord, I'm glad I checked in here before orderin a gang of expensive equipment. I ended up buyin a Lee Loader for 9mm. I swore I'd never use one of those, but guess they're OK for tinkerin and that's about all I'll be doin. Found powder At Midway, still no bullets or primers. I'll be dead and buried by the time I get all the needed supplies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In Italy we have a bunch of problems but fortunately you can find still everything you need for reloading but the Winchester 296 ,that I use to reload the 45 colt for my Marlin Cowboy with hot loads , is rare to find here because I think that the production is all absorbed by American reloaders

·
Registered
12 Posts
@LITTLE HOOD Those Russian primer are excellent primers, they were sold under the WOLF / TULA name here in the states years ago before they were banned from importation by the government. I have about 5K of various sizes in my stash.

I think it really depends on where you are here in the states as to what you can get. Powder, primers, rifle and pistol bullets in my area are available on a hit-and-miss basis. If you keep hitting several stores you will eventually find what you want. Although it's my hobby and what I enjoy doing I've always treated my reloading supplies / equipment as preparedness items and have never found myself not being able to shoot what I want when I wanted.

I also cast all my own rifle and pistol bullets using about fourth different molds with several lead and lead based alloy I've accumulated over the years so bullets are not an issue.

Some powder and primers I recently picked up.
IMG_0004.JPG

H Powders.JPG

Power Pistol.JPG

1 - 20 of 34 Posts