Ruger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
At this point I've scored on powder, total zero on small pistol primers + bullets. Got plenty of brass, but I'd be willing to buy primed brass at this point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I shoot many 9x21 in my Tanfoglio because I do some cometitions in and the Fiocchi powders , praticaly the same of LOVEX powders, are cheap , €20,00 for 500g , and always available .One of my friends is able to cast bullets for the 9mm 135grs flat point and also paint them so there is less smoke when you shoot and there are less lead residues in the barrel . Ihad never tried the powder that you have but I read that they are good. You're right, the MUROM primers are very soft and also with the light spring of the firing pin they never do a misfire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
At this point I've scored on powder, total zero on small pistol primers + bullets. Got plenty of brass, but I'd be willing to buy primed brass at this point.
In Italy the primed new cases are expensive expecially for the 45 colt, one of my favourite calibers because I love my two Uberti Cattleman an my Marlin cowboy m all in 45 colt that I use to shoot when I practice for CAS .... In a past life i probably was American !!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Good Lord, I'm glad I checked in here before orderin a gang of expensive equipment. I ended up buyin a Lee Loader for 9mm. I swore I'd never use one of those, but guess they're OK for tinkerin and that's about all I'll be doin. Found powder At Midway, still no bullets or primers. I'll be dead and buried by the time I get all the needed supplies.
I'd hate to think what it'd take to replace all the reloading equipment I've accumulated over the past 50+ years. It was a buy once, cry once and the higher end quality has more than paid for itself over all the years.

Replacing primers, powder and bullets is a bit of a challenge but still doable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just happen to stumble onto a batch of CCI primers today on a local forum. I piped up with I would take them all, just 3 minutes after they were posted. I followed up with a PM and phone number. The seller called me back and I was actually beaten to them by a guy that sent a PM before posting in the thread. I told the seller I was not going to be re-selling for profit but was helping 3 young guys get started into reloading. He said he had an extra 5000 and a couple pounds of powder if I wanted it. New powder at $25 a LB, and CCI SPP at $25 a brick. YA HOO---meeting him on Saturday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In Ohio I have been able to get large pistol primers, but small pistol primers are nowhere to be found. I’m lucky as Im really in good shape on primers and powder, but I’m always on the lookout for more

·
Registered
326 Posts
Haven't reloaded in years but, due to the ammo shortage, been think bout gettin back into reloading .38 Special + 9mm. Does the availability of primers powder + bullets make that feasible these days? Really don't shoot enough to make it economical, thinkin more of a hobby during the long winter. We normally cruises in the winter. Waitin to hear from Carnival about our Jan 10th Panama Canal booking, doubt it will sail.
Heap difficult to find powder of any flavor or primers here in the desert!

·
Registered
351 Posts
For me powder hasn't been a problem at all the LGS usually has what I want and the price is about the same as pre-panic.

Bullets are harder to find and more expensive but not insanely so if you're willing to wait 8 weeks or so for them to ship.

Primers are tough. I've been lucky and the last few times I've visited my local store he had some with a limit of 500 per customer with prices that weren't too much higher than before. The owner did mention that it's getting harder for him to get primers so they may not have any next time I go there.
You'd have to understand our government. If they want to create a shortage, they simply move in and buy everything up. If the NYSE drops too badly, they simply move in + buy equities. Or, raise the interest rate + drive out small business. It's called the FREE MARKET SYSTEM and like everything that rolls off their lips, it's total BS (both parties)!
The Government had nothing to do with it. Stupid people did. First it was toilet paper, then hand sanitizer, then masks. Ammo and reloading components were in there somewhere. Also many companies were closed by due to the Kung Flu. It's hard to make primers when there's no one at work.

I'd guess that most primer production is going to load factory ammo right now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
At the Sportsman's Warehouse in Missoula they have a good selecion of 1 lb containers of appropriate powders for the 38 spl & the 9mm. Bullets & brass also seem readily available. Primers seem to be the problem around here , but do become available especially in the smaller gun shops. You should not have that big a problem acquiescing all that you need. I just picked up some primers this past week.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
At the Sportsman's Warehouse in Missoula they have a good selecion of 1 lb containers of appropriate powders for the 38 spl & the 9mm. Bullets & brass also seem readily available. Primers seem to be the problem around here , but do become available especially in the smaller gun shops. You should not have that big a problem acquiescing all that you need. I just picked up some primers this past week.
Pretty much the same here, with the exception, I'm finding the smaller shops aren't carrying any reloading supplies anymore. They're citing insurance issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My shooting buddy and I make the rounds of gun stores that might have supplies. Bullets and powder are no problem although you might have a wait. I’ve found three shops that had 2000 large pistol and would sell one box per customer. They anticipate another like bumper crop o_Oin the next couple of weeks. Our best luck has been mom & pop stores that are less heavily harvested than the big ones. Make friends with the owners if you haven’t already and visit often. When they get in 2 or 3 boxes they might call the folks they know!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My shooting buddy and I make the rounds of gun stores that might have supplies. Bullets and powder are no problem although you might have a wait. I’ve found three shops that had 2000 large pistol and would sell one box per customer. They anticipate another like bumper crop o_Oin the next couple of weeks. Our best luck has been mom & pop stores that are less heavily harvested than the big ones. Make friends with the owners if you haven’t already and visit often. When they get in 2 or 3 boxes they might call the folks they know!
Yup, I'm catching on to the routine. When they do get a shipment, it's first come first serve + limit per cust. One of the members here stepped up + helped me out. That's way above + beyond in this day + age!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Only primers I've seen on the shelves in eastern NE have been shotshell. Powder is generally available, especially if you are not set on some popular types. Bullets locally are pretty much out in popular cartridges (9mm, 38, 45). I've had some recent luck getting 9mm bullets from Xtreme (copper 'coated': shipped to me within 2 weeks), Missouri Bullet Company (Hi-Tek poly coated lead, took 6 weeks to get),

Primers: LGS in April said they had been told by supplier not to expect primers for a year. All the primers were going to make ammo.

9mm ammo is sporadically available locally, but you have to be there pretty much as they are stocking the shelves, even with purchase limits. Online seems to be very sporadic and you have to see it and buy it quick. I just found expensive defensive ammo on Sig's web site, so I bought a few for carry. I gave my factory to my newly shooting son. Though I load my own, I prefer to carry factory ammo.

If you are in need be prepared to pay way more than normal because the cheapest stuff goes very quickly. Mostly luck in getting anything, though getting on email alert lists helps.

Happy hunting.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts