Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a lot on the board that is new to shooting. Thought it might be good to discuss sighting. Whether with handguns or rifles, there are two distances that the sight is dead center. The other distances it is either above or below the line of sight. With adjustable sights and scopes you can adjust the dead center to be any distance you want, but with fixed sights you have to know your trajectory and compensate for the different distances. Different calibers are different. Do you know where your gun is dead center and how far to aim above or below the target for the different distances?

·
Banned
282 Posts
Different ammo loads can also effect where you hit. One can not get too much practice.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know with my 230 Gr. Golden Saber Hollow Point and 6 gr. Unique in my P90, I have to aim 1/2 inch over at 5yds, strait on from 10-30, 1" above at 40, 2" above at 50, 4" above at 60, 6 1/2' above at 70, 9" above at 80, 12 1/2" above at 90, and 16" above at 100 yds.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Calvin,
I really do feel it is important to know my pistol at the ranges you have stated, and over the next few months I will probably sight it in like that, but my situational awareness attitude calls for me to maintain a defensive posture and that if in a gunfight I can get 10+ yards between me and my adversary and add cover to that, the gunfight is over because I have already started for the next county.

From 10-150yds I perceive to be combat distances and I want a long gun or I am gone to fight another day. Otherwise, if I am forced to do combat, and that would only be with the defense of innocents involved, with a pistol I am moving in close unless I believe help will be arriving and just maintaining the adversary will do.

Later this spring I will probably zero in the weapon, but since I've only had the P90 a little less that 3 months and only put 1200 rounds down range most of that has been at about 8yd's. Of course the first couple of times out I did try it at 100yd's but that was mostly for haha's as I needed to get busy with it at the shorter ranges.

At 400rds I throated the chamber and polished the feed ramp (also killed a burr on the front of the receiver where the slide runs) and as the gun broke in between 400 and 600rds it became trusted for carry. The last 700rds have proven flawless operation. So with those issues out of the way the regiment you describe would make a logical next step. Thank you for adding that wisdom to my repertoire.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow... Good Question!

During my hunting/military days I was vary aware of trajectory. Hunting I limited myself to 300 yds w/ my 30-06 and 150 yds w/ 30-30 as a maximum. Military max. range w/ M-14 ~ 600 yds (range) and M-16 I can't think of a time I shot at anything over 100 yds (to much brush). The Army gave me training w/ the good old 1911, I wasn't impressed.

Since 911 and my aging eyes I've selected a 9mm (KP8915) as my carry gun. I try to get to the range once a week but it ends up about three times a month. I practice at a distance of 10-12 yds. At this distance I can remove a black (Edit: not two but...) four inch bullseye (2 mags, 30 rds) printed on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, with all hits on the paper. Also, at the 10-12 yd range, an 1/8 inch +/- isn't going to make much difference. Vital organs are at the armpit level and a 0.1 inch is within tolerance. For "$hits 'n Grins" I'll try a 25 & 50 yd target but this is beyond what I feel is a "defensive" range.

My range ammo is 115gr FMJ and I use 147gr JHP for carry. I also test ammo before committing to carry. Defensive distances being what they are (7 yds) I feel I'm technically prepared. Hopefully I won't have a chance to find out.

The next step in my training is to start shooting IDPA matches. I've watched one match, it looked like fun, and joined a safety/practice session and it WAS fun. This should add a level of pressure (time) not found on the practice range. By using my carry equipment I'm also practicing my draw w/ live fire, also not allowed at my range.

FWIW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts