Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have decided that I wanted to consolidate my handguns to 2 calibers, 9mm & .45acp. I will keep my 22/45 so my 7 year old can still shoot with me but that is the only .22 I plan on keeping (all .22 rifles will be sold). I am tired of the crazy ammo prices and trying to stock up on multiple calibers. I would love to keep my 2 9mm's and my 2 .45s and sell everything else. Having said that, my dilemma is this. I would have to get rid of my GP100. I don't shoot it that much, I baby it and display it like it's a work of art. It's an amazing piece but I can't seem to talk myself into getting rid of it. Have any of you gone through something similar? I would love to accomplish my goal of getting down to 2 calibers. So, how do you do it??? How do you get rid of a gun that you love but don't shoot that much? I will say that all proceeds from the sales will go towards large ammo purchases. Please help. Am I crazy for wanting to do this or should I just "bite the bullet" and do it?

Thanks in advance for reading through this ridiculous thread.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Re- How do you get rid.....

Answer- You Don't. Some time down the road you will regret selling off guns that you really 'love'. Sell those you have no attachment too, but for Heaven's sake, don't give up one that you feel is really a keeper. Keep a box of ammo for it, but put it in the Inactive Reserve for Now.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,802 Posts
:eek: You're joking, right? That's what you meant by "ridiculous thread" isn't it? You take nice pictures - you could sell those. You could sell your camera gear. You can sell your blood. You CAN'T sell your GP100! :eek:

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Keep the GP, .38 and .357 ammo has been around a long time and will continue to do so. just my .02

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I love my 1911s and shooting and loading the 45. Basically why my GP, like yours, tends to stay home more than it should. Keep in mind, though, that a 357 is a legitimate magnum, right off the shelf and if you reload, you can take it to 41 mag energy levels in a GP. Try doing that with a 45 or a 9. Okay, maybe you're not shooting the 357 mag that much, but there may come a time when that magnum capability could be very useful to you. Much as I love the 45, nothing beats a 357 mag for versatility. Sell your GP and I'd be willing to bet that you'll end up getting another one, down the road, anyway. Keep your GP.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I learned many years ago not to sell anything if I even have the least doubt that I am doing the right thing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Keep your .45s and the GP100.
Sell the 9s and use the proceeds to get started reloading 45acp & .357.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I learned many years ago not to sell anything if I even have the least doubt that I am doing the right thing.
Ditto. I'm all for caliber consolidation but that should not mean you sell a gun you really love...Just keep a limited quantity of ammo on hand and don't worry about it. Every time I have violated this principle I have regretted it. :(

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would love to accomplish my goal of getting down to 2 calibers...
Well... To me, this just sounds like a "mind" thing. If you're in a dilemma it sounds to me like you're unnecessarily going against your "heart".

I say keep what you feel like keeping.

There's more to logic than just economics. There's a LOT more to preferences than just logic OR economics. Imagine yourself sitting there with no GP100... How does THAT FEEL? (Not too nice, huh?)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Years ago I sold my S&W Model 19 357 Magnum, and then I regretted it, badly. Finally this year I found a nice Security Six to fill that empty niche. That gun will never be sold while I'm alive.

This may sound paranoid, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of any large caliber revolvers because if the government goes wild enacting tough gun laws, the first thing they are likely to (try to) confiscate is all semi-auto handguns and rifles.

Keep the GP100 and a small supply of ammo.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
623 Posts
I think you should keep the GP100. I can't even guess how many posts I've seen from people who regret selling their GP's.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
In late May and early June of 2009, I lost both of my jobs within 5 working days of each other! As a result of the financial situation we found ourselves in, I sold nearly everything I had...including my 'prized' 4" stainless, adjustable-sight, GP100 revolver! I kept my 6.5" Single-Six, my 2.25" SP101 in .357mag, and my wife kept her 2.25" SP101 in .38 special! Everything else, including 5 other GP100's (3x3", the 4", and a 6" that I owned) we sold to pay bills!

It really hurt to sell that 4" and would have kept it but for our financial situation. I started praying about it and, low and behold, 15 months later, I found my current GP100 (see avatar) a 4" stainless, fixed-sight .357mag. It has quickly become my favorite of all the GP100's that I've ever owned or shot! I believe that the Lord replaced what I had with something better!

My point is, when in doubt, don't, unless you have to! If it's a favorite, hang on to it, you can always sell it later if you change your mind! Besides, a .357 mag / .38 special is a nice caliber to have around...for plinking, hunting, and for self-defense!

I'm guessing that since you're keeping both 9mm and .45 acp calibers, you're keeping your semi-auto's! Having a revolver around would give you a nice change of pace, should you want it, as well as give you the ability to teach your kids how to shoot revolver down the road at some point! I would recommend keeping it...at least for now!

Best...

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
This may sound paranoid, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of any large caliber revolvers because if the government goes wild enacting tough gun laws, the first thing they are likely to (try to) confiscate is all semi-auto handguns and rifles. Keep the GP100 and a small supply of ammo.
Not to sound too funny....but I concur!

Being as I prefer revolvers over semi-auto's....this is an easy decision for us! We only have 2 semi-auto's...both Gen II Glocks, which are amazing pistols!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I say keep it. You say you ar selling all of your .22s except one, but that i by far the cheapest ammo to buy. Granted there isnt much you can do with a .22 but plinking, but it sure is cheap. If yolu really need money, that is very different, but like most everyone here I wouldn't sell anything otherwise.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very good points all around. Financially, I can afford to keep it. I just wanted to use the cash to beef up my ammo stock. I know that I would regret it, that is why I asked you good folks. Seems the GP100 will stay and I'm happy to see that you all brought me to my senses. Now, do you all still agree that consolidating is a good idea? Keeping the GP but getting rid of all other calibers.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
You better think about your decision for awhile. Down the road you're going to look back and regret selling any of them.I know I sold a few and I sure wish I still had them.If they are paid for and you're making ends meet I think you'd be foolish selling them. Ammo costs to much, easy solution start reloading. Another thing guns increase in value in most cases. You always have something to fall back on. You sell the guns and buy allot of ammo. Once you shoot the ammo all you have left is a bunch of brass which is worth next to nothing compared to your guns.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Very good points all around. Financially, I can afford to keep it. I just wanted to use the cash to beef up my ammo stock. I know that I would regret it, that is why I asked you good folks. Seems the GP100 will stay and I'm happy to see that you all brought me to my senses. Now, do you all still agree that consolidating is a good idea? Keeping the GP but getting rid of all other calibers.

Thanks again.
Consolidating is an absolutely horrible idea. Keep all the guns. Start reloading or save up and buy ammo in bulk.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts