Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I thought you supposed to feed them live mice, not dead ones. But what do I know?

Joe

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Live mice can actually injure a snake. So most reptile owners nowadays feed frozen/thawed. All the same nutrition but they're easy to buy in bulk and you just keep 'em in the freezer. Captive bred snakes, most of them anyway, live their whole lives never having a live meal, so they don't know the difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My snake has always been fed live mice/rats. I've tried the dead stuff a couple times and he wouldn't eat it. It's a Ball Python I've had for about three years. He was about a foot long when I got him. He's now 4 feet. I think that's about as long as he'll get, I hope!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it's hard to get them to switch if they don't start with frozen/thawed. I'm glad I don't have to deal with live mice.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jman8182
My snake has always been fed live mice/rats. I've tried the dead stuff a couple times and he wouldn't eat it.
There are ways you can trick a snake to eat a dead mouse. After you have thawed it, try and get the mouse's temperature to ~100 degrees. Then use a pair of tongs dance the mouse around the cage until the snake takes it. Be sure to hold the mouse in a way the snake wont hit the tongs when striking.

Snake can be picky. I know of a snake that only eats live white mice. If the mouse as a speck of any other color on it, the snake wont eat it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to have a gopher snake when I was little. My brother gave him to me when he got his king snake. We fed both of ours live mice, mostly because we had never heard of feeding them frozen at the time. I'd feed frozen now unless the snake absolutely refused it.

Back when there was that big earthquake in California, his cage got knocked over and he got away in the house. We found him weeks later chopped in half under the dryer. I'd get another snake if I didn't have so many pets as it is.

Keith Smith- Wow that's one picky snake.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Frozen mice is a godsend. I hated keeping live stinky mice on hand, and if you don't keep them on hand you have to run to the pet store every few days to buy a mouse.

I just bought 100 frozen pinkie/fuzzies from http://www.themousefactory.com/ and they are excellent quality (no broken legs etc). I will buy more from them when these are gone.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I feed all my snakes lead. :D I know, I know, they're God's creatures and some folks are real fond of them. They give me the creeps and I do my best to avoid them, but....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts