Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there was any reason NOT to use a quality hunting ammo for self defense in a .357? I use the Barnes Expanders, and while I know they work well on deer, should I look for a different bullet for self/home defense? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
don't know much about barnes expander hunting ammo.

But i am a firm believer in the good ole' stand-by leo loads such as vanilla remington, winchester, or federal 125gr semi-jacket hp. These have a proven track record with years of police shootings backing them up.

The bottom feeder attorneys might also take notice that "hunting" ammo was used............

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
by rolling your own so to speak you open a can of worms, intent premedatied and so on. But if its ammo that you buy where ever they sell ammo they won't have that to use against you in court should it go to court. It will deffantly go to civil court. They become saints once their dead or wounded.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't use it. A bullet is a bullet. One is just as capable as another to kill someone. I personally use cheap stuff. American Eagle. Blazer. I think a 158 grain bullet coming out of a .357 Magnum barrel at "self defense" distance will stop a person. 5 or 6 will for sure.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
As long as the ammo is legal, why not? I refuse to live my life based on what a lawyer may or may not bring up in a civil suit or an investigative hearing.

If I was chopping wood that day you might get hit with an axe. If I was hanging pictures previously you might get it with a hammer. If I am butchering hogs well you might get it with a cleaver. Whatever's handy is dandy. Your honor with the cost of ammo my hunting bullets was all I had for the gun. Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peace if your butchering hogs...I could use some fresh sausage, and maybe a little bacon.;) Heck, I'll even cook the biscuts and gravy if you got the pig!:D

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Never, ever have enough sausage or bacon, will make it from deer when I have to.

Right now I still can't digest much of anything (surgery just 8 months ago) so this is hard to say, but I'll have to pass on the biscuits and gravy.

There, I said it. Whew, that was harder than a 60 year old wino at an AA meeting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts