Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Brian, wish I had the talent to express myself like that, and the memories to share. Would love to hear more of yours. Mostly growing up I lived in a city, with my Dad being gone most of the time being in the USAF. I remember my first gun, bought with my own money at age 16, and the parents were not happy. It was an old Stevens 12g single shot with a shortened barrel. Still have it and it's still not pretty. Would walk the bayou just outside of town and shoot squirrels, crows and snakes. That area has been a shopping center and parking lot for 30 years. Looked a lot better as fields and trees.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Brian & rman, thanks for the stories.
My Dad was assigned bases in remote areas more often than not. When I was growing up there were only two bases we were allowed to accompany him. One was in Waco, Tx and the other in Croughton, England. Both of those were three year duty tours. I'll admit I didn't get along with him as he was demanding and pretty hard to live with. Mom on the other hand was an angel. After I grew up and got out on my own I realized I had learned a lot from him and began to appreciate what he had been able to provide for the family. We lost him in 1971, without me knowing him as well as I would have liked. Mom passed on in 1991. Since my Dad's death, we have learned he was involved in everything from being a sailor in the merchant marines, to pilot in WWII to being a member of the Secret Service, all prior to meeting my Mom. Seem there was a bunch of things he never told anyone about. If he was still with us he would be 98 in a couple of days.
To those who still have their parents, tell them how much you appreciate what they have done. And treat them with the respect they deserve. Just my 2c.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.