Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my two No. 1B's in 243 and 300WM out to the range on our ranch today and it made me realize how lucky I am to have them. They will both shoot a 1" group, are wonderful to handle and admire and fit me just right. Changed ammo from previous seasons so both needed to be moved a bit. Have found that my No 1's are very ammo sensitive---not like a 375 H&H that will shoot anything to the same POI.

A number of years ago I put a little "O" ring under the forearm screw per Elmer Keith circa 1970's which really helped their group performance.

I used to carry the 243 as my pickup and ATV gun until I realized that it was too nice a gun for that---replaced it with a Mini 14 which serves the purpose better. All have three have Leupold glass.

Good Hunting and have fun with your No. 1's. Treasure them 'cause they will be (are) a thing of the past!

·
Registered
193 Posts
#1's in the woods....

I hope to get an invite to an area where I can take one of my #1 Rugers for deer this year. I've been spoiled by living in an archery only county (deer) and have been only bow hunting (very successfully!) for about 8 or 9 years now. I've acquired three #1 rifles this past year, sold the rare factory 243 Win and have a 250 Savage SS/walnut AND a 'yet to pick up' 475 Linebaugh waiting for me at a LGS. I love bow hunting but have also hunted with firearms all my life except for these last 8-9 years.
I'm ready to get back after some venison with a rifle, and these #1's are mostly the reason WHY!
In the past I have EASILY shot two deer within seconds of each kill with a single shot rifle, a Handy Rifle in 30/30. -just saying a single shot is in NO way a handicap in my opinion when it comes to (deer) hunting!
Thinking of what scopes to put on these two #1's now, maybe straight tubes as in fixed 3X Weaver or Leupold 1 3/4-5x VXIII. I already have Leupold 2.5-8x scopes and will first see how they feel mounted as far as eye relief is concerned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts