Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have never hunted them just starting out in hunting . I took my .22 sporter deluxe out in search of squirrels or rabbits needless to say i didn't hear anything nor did i see anything...The place i was hunting usually I see some squirrels turkey and some deer didn't even see them...I was walking from 8:30 to 2;30 then started standing under trees looking never seen or heard any...I plan on taking shotgun out tomorrow

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,405 Posts
Get in a likely area then sit on a log or stump. Sit quietly without moving for fifteen minutes and watch the woods come to life. You won't see them while walking, but they forget about you quickly when you sit still.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yep, nga has the right idea, just pull up to a place and park it for at least a half hour. Ya need to let things quiet down.

If you’re motoring through the woods your chances of seeing deer let alone turkey, (270 degree field of vision) are about zero.

I’ll still hunt through the woods, (I’ll take a step or two every 5 minutes) that works for me.

If the squirrels, deer and turkeys were “packin” there’d be more dead hunters than animals, we’re in their house........

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you got snow this weekend, that should make it easier to find a likely spot with some tracks.

Like others have said, I've found the best method it to just sit. I've had deer, coons, turkey and other critters just walk up on me. Almost don't want to shoot and disturb all the game that hangs out on the woods.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Do i need to wear blaze orange?
No, not for squirrel hunting in Iowa. Deer yes, upland birds require an article of clothing, (hat, coat, vest) that is 50% blaze orange.

I have always taken a blaze orange stocking hat and hung it on a limb above me when ever I have hunted on public land. Especially turkey hunting.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Do i need to wear blaze orange?
During Deer Season I suggest you wear blaze orange regardless, even if you are just strolling through the woods or fields.

·
Super Moderator
21,077 Posts
During Deer Season I suggest you wear blaze orange regardless, even if you are just strolling through the woods or fields.
Agree. Think safety first whether it is with your own firearm or just staying safe hunting small game.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Take your shotgun and NO shells.....you will see all sorts of game !
Gary
I hope you say that in jest and are just joking. Here in Iowa, if it's Deer season you can/will get busted (unless you have a Deer tag) for illegal Deer hunting, have your weapon confiscated along with any vehicle, heavy fine and they can search your freezer for any poached game.

Some DNR Game Officers are "reasonably" nice people. Some are just plain nasty people on a "power" trip and would bust their own mothers.

·
Super Moderator
21,077 Posts
Rather than getting scientific I would just walk into an area with a good food source like acorns and sit down and wait quietly. In 10-15 minutes you will hear them come down and start running around. You can mark where they are at and once you shoot one move where the others are and wait. You get a couple move to another area with a good mast crop and repeat. You could see a lot of other game if you are stealth enough.

Best advice I can give is hunt the food source.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts