Ruger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
The advice to sit still reminds me of a friend who had a long day stalking and walking for turkeys up and down steep canyons back in the late 1970s. At mid-day he ate a sandwich and leaned up against a tree for quick nap. When he woke up, he was surrounded by a flock of turkeys, with a couple within arm's reach.

Registered
In my squirrel hunting experience you need to be in the woods and sitting still just as it starts getting light. And again late in the afternoon until about dark. The .22 will be an issue in dim light, but great when it is light enough to see the sights. Move slow, sit frequently. Listen for squirrels barking and creep quietly in that direction. Watch for limbs moving while sitting quietly. Don't bother going on windy days - you need to watch for any movement in the trees.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
The woods I have been hunting I havent seen much of anything really and usually i can at least see a few squirrels rabbits, deer turkey...I haven't seen anything and i have hunted it all week

Registered
I used to hunt squirrel, rabbit and turkey on a friends land in FL. We would stake out a stand of big live oaks from about 75 yards. With my M77/22 with 4x scope we could get clean head shots and collect 15 or twenty in a day. When one would flatten out on the tree and we loose sight of him, my friend would rub two quarters together making a clicking sound and they would pop their heads up to see what was happening. I never was that good at making the clicking sound right, so I was the shooter he was the "caller". Later after the cleaning was done we would set up the turkey fryer and make a Cajun gumbo. Good times, with good friends, with good food. Wish I could find a place like that in SC.

Registered
The woods I have been hunting I havent seen much of anything really and usually i can at least see a few squirrels rabbits, deer turkey...I haven't seen anything and i have hunted it all week
Got another weather front coming in. Might give it a go just before it gets here or a couple days right after.

Right now they may be a little lazy being fairly stocked for the season and just holding up.

Super Moderator
Put up a bird feeder they will come out of the woodwork.

Registered
This time of year squirrels are not especially active. They go to the ground, scurry about for a few hidden nuts, and sun on a limb. Hang tight because soon they will be mating and it will be on again.

Registered
I'm in the Midwest...To have the best hunt, scout your woods for Shag bark and shell bark hickory along with White oaks. Red Oaks and wild cherry are good also. Early season, late August and early September are best when the squirrels are cutting the nuts in the trees. Arrive at your scouted location before dawn sit and watch for them to come to the trees. Be positioned near a tree to use as a rest to shoot. If in a strange area, go before dawn and listen for nuts dropping and squirrels scratching the nuts. Late season, Nov./Dec. the squirrels are on the ground seeking nuts or burying nuts for later and are more difficult to get a shot unless they climb a tree. I always used a 22 LR and took pride in head shots. (I don't like cleaning anything gut shot). However late season when there on the ground a shotgun may be more effective.

Registered
Tips - Hunting Squirrels

Recon - If just starting out, first, go for a slow quiet walk without your weapon. Don't need to be camouflaged, but a scent block would help, and stay down wind of your target area. Get your local weather report and note wind speed and direction for the day. Walk slow, quiet as possible and just observe. Look for spots where your target game would hang out. For Squirrels, look for nut trees, Oak, Walnut, Pecan or maybe even Pine groves. Look for nests in the trees, they will be high up in a fork and about the width of a basketball. If available, squirrels prefer a hollow in a tree, as it gives them and their young protection from aggressive birds. Once you spot any of these, pop a squat. Settle in down wind, does this match with the weather report? Be a ghost and observe. Spend a hour or longer just watching. When you see them, look for patterns in their movement, how do they come down and go up tress, which are their favorites. Where do they forage. Animals are creatures of habit. Be aware that unlike Rabbits that are dumb as dirt, Squirrels are very smart and observant. If you spook one and there are others nearby, you may spook the whole scurry. Be patient. Also, note any wind shifts over time as you observe. This recon should give you good information for your next endeavor, The Hunt. Oh, take a stinky peanut butter sandwich with you. Open it up and drop the sides face up in the middle of your target area on the way out.

The Hunt - Prepare, use your recon info to develop a plan. What range will you have to the target, do you take the shotgun, rifle or both. Again, gather your local weather data. This time definitely get your camo gear on, and scent up. If your hunting area in a ways off, be prepared to get to your destination before sun-up. Squirrels wake up with the the sun. Pack for the day, but when you get close leave your pack 10 to 20 yards away from where you plan to sit down. Take you guns, a quiet bottle of water, and your BP sandwich, that's it. Often people make the mistake of taking too much to "play" with or snack on while hunting. This is serious business if you want to be successful. Again, Squirrels are smart. Your snacks are better served as bait, thus the BP sandwich. As you approach your target site, this time walk right thru the middle, is the other sandwich still there? Open up the new sandwich and drop in on your way thru where you can see it from your observation area down wind. If there are Squirrels around, they may be alerted to your presence, and when they wake they are hungry. After you clear the area, they will come to investigate and find it.

Take a position where you can see the bait AND their retreat areas to their favorite trees and nests. If you miss them at the bait, be patient they will pop there head up later to see what scarred them. You should be able to pop a couple on the ground near the base of their tree, or on a limb where they like to watch. Also, be aware, squirrels play possum, and sometimes if you even shoot close you will scare them enough they faint. So approach them with CAUTION! Those front teeth can take a thumb or finger off in a second. Always wear gloves. When approaching a downed squirrel, I place my boot on their head and grab them by the tail, if they move, I crush the head with my foot. This is a quick and safe final demise. By all means keep the teeth away from you until you confirm they are no longer a threat.

Health Risks - Squirrels can carry Rabies, Lime Disease, and other diseases, especially in late summer. Be perceptive of the condition of the scurry, do they look healthy and act normal. Is there coat thick and shiny. If the squirrels fur is patchy then they are not well. If while skinning, you notice ticks or small pea sized polyps under the skin, discard the animal. Always were surgical gloves while cleaning your game. Check with your local Game Warden or Wildlife officials for any outbreaks you should be aware of.

There is much to learn to be a safe, proficient hunter, experience is the best teacher. I hope these tips will help. There are no guarantees when dealing with wild game, but I believe these could be useful as you start out.

Be SAFE have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Does anyone use a squirrel call? I seen 1 today about got it but I wanted to check here before I spend the 13.00 to get it

Registered
Does anyone use a squirrel call? I seen 1 today about got it but I wanted to check here before I spend the 13.00 to get it
I鈥檝e never used a squirrel call - I just sit under the tree and act like a nut....

Jim

Super Moderator
We are all good at gathering boxes of hunting stuff that mostly stays in the boxes. Animals are generally close to what they eat. If there is nothing there then all the calling will go unheard and if there are plenty around you won't need the call. This is of course all IMHO.

Registered
Calling for squirrels is mostly about getting one you've spotted to come out of hiding. Or when you've shot one and know there is another maybe a mother hanging close to show itself. Most fun is using a squirrel dog to tree them.

Registered
I like to hunt squirrels after the first frost, but before deer season. That way mosquitos aren鈥檛 as bad, and you can scout for deer sign while you鈥檙e at it. They are most active when they are gathering their food for winter. This will change depending on where you are located. I am not sure about Iowa, but this works good on the east coast.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts