Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452092771.624386.jpg
I bought this Redhawk because I wanted to use it for hunting deer. The caliber is fine 44 mag but I am not crazy about the scope. I thought a 2x Leupold would be great but honestly it just seems to make my targets smaller and seem further away?
It's pretty much dead on @ 50yds but I'm used to using a rifle scope and dialing up the power to bring my target up to where I can see it good! With this scope and the long eye relief it seem like my targets are smaller and further away?
Do ya'll have any recommendations?
Thx

·
Registered
571 Posts
we don't use our Redhawk at ranges where we need magnification .... we have taken deer at something over 50 yards but usually our shots have been taken at 40 +/- yards .... we had an older model Aimpoint that was close to the size of the scope on your 44, the new one is smaller and lighter .... for us, it really performs well

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Red dots are nice I have hunted with one for years, I prefer ultra dots. I just bought a fixed 4X scope to try on my SRH to see if I liked it ,but they do make variable power hand gun scopes many scope manufacturers have them .try a Google search should be able to check out a few.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You can also look at variable power pistol scopes, Bushnell and others mak some pretty nice ones, the one I have is a Bushnell 2-6 by 32 and is a great scope for the money. I have it on a super Blackhawk hunter model in .44 mag. No problems.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Anahuac do you shoot this with one eye open or both, I use a 2x with both eyes open, I'm no expert which makes it hard for me to relay the procedure but I employ the same tactics as a scout style rig and it works well for me, I think one eye vs two makes the difference

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought this Redhawk in the early 90's and scoped it with a 1-4x Tasco and it has served me well. Still shoots 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards with my handloads.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts