Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You own it. Keep it unless dire for the cash. Realistically, all your firearms doubled in price since Hilary! Yes it could come in handy and you might not be able to replace it.. Since you have gun and ammo, learn how to clean it and do so, shoot the thing some. Practice and keep some ammo for it. It's a good tool in the shed!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
And all I have done is bore sight it. I bought 500 rd for it . The only reason I bought it was because Hillary didn’t want me to have it. I really just don’t need it. Got a 30.06 and a 30.30 & a 9MM rifle . Now I just looked it has doubled in price. Thought it might come in handy (Just in case)
I have two, low mileage AR’s in my safe. I have a “few” ahem boxes of ammo for them. They bring me peace.

Clinton sold me one, Obama the other. I prefer hunting style rifles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kinda same story here.
plenty of hand guns, rifles, and shotguns and ammo.
Still........... Nov. 2021,
I had to have a Ruger 5.56................just because I could,
disassembled, cleaned,
bought 20/30 cal. mags, case, Romeo Red Dot.
and the collection grows.

Boy Scout Motto.......... Be Prepared. 😎

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Not poking fun, I just can't understand that. My dad has guns he bought 60 years ago unfired.
I have 12. All of them were new, now high round counts. Problems and getting them set up right for me takes like 7-800 rounds, then the fun starts.
Moral of the story? Different strokes for different folks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im like Madmatter, I can't hardly own a gun that I can't shoot. I have owned a couple that were so beautiful that when I took them hunting, I caught myself watching the gun more than the birds. Specifically I had two 20 gauge Red Labels that were absolutely perfect. I wound up selling them and should have kept at least one. Talk about a great shooting 20 gauge!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My brother just got a Ruger 556 and brought it over for our weekly range visit. He too got it just because.. It's just as scary as his Smith n Wesson 22lr AR15. I was surprised how much fun it was. I'm considering one but don't have any money.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Not poking fun, I just can't understand that. My dad has guns he bought 60 years ago unfired.
I have 12. All of them were new, now high round counts. Problems and getting them set up right for me takes like 7-800 rounds, then the fun starts.
Moral of the story? Different strokes for different folks!
I have guns that are unique I acquired over the years too. Several of them see very infrequent use. I bought them because I thought they were cool, not because I planned to shoot them much, if at all.

Different strokes.

BTW - I am concerned about your lack of guns …

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I bought one in 2013 out of concern that they would be banned after the Sandy Hook incident. Then another one when I thought Hillary was going to win. Well, I'm up to 5 now. They have all been shot quite a bit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I bought an AR-15 a couple of months ago because "they" don't want me to have one. I went budget model - PSA mil spec blemished. I think I finally found the "blemish" today - a differently colored patch on the lower, that doesn't come in contact with anything else. I've also been buying 30 rd standard capacity magazines.
Anyway, I took it to the range today to sight it in. I have to say, it's not my favorite platform, but it's mine, it shoots straight, and if anyone wants to take it, well, better bring friends.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am 70, so I have had MANY guns through the years. I have 7 years military, 20+ years law enforcement, and a couple as a domestic security contractor on a Homeland security funded gig. My taste in weapons is diverse, and that is helped out by the fact I now work part time at a local gunshop (so many toys, and so little cash!). I don't need all of my guns, but I want all of them. They are insurance and investment. I could probably get by with 4: The 10-22, my Glock 19 (or Springfield XD45), Mossberg 500, and one of my Minis.

My current tactical long gun armory is diverse: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=27143629#post27143629

I happen to really like Ruger firearms and have seven Rugers: 10-22, LC9, LC380, PCC9, Mini-30, Mini-14 300 BLK, and Mini-14 GB Model 5.56. I recently sold three other Rugers, a Ruger MK 1I .22, a 44. Mag Super Blackhawk, and a 44 Magnum Carbine.

When I was in the service in the early 70s, I owned a couple long guns (10-22, Ruger 44, Ruger MK1, Browning auto 5, and a Super Blackhawk). In 1981, I picked up an M1 Carbine, in 1982 a Ruger Mini-14, and in 1985 or 86, I picked up a Colt AR15 and a Chinese Polytech AK, Since then, I have always had some form of tactical rifle. Many I used as trunk weapons until I retired from the Sheriff's Office in 2000.

·
Registered
201 Posts
And all I have done is bore sight it. I bought 500 rd for it . The only reason I bought it was because Hillary didn’t want me to have it. I really just don’t need it. Got a 30.06 and a 30.30 & a 9MM rifle . Now I just looked it has doubled in price. Thought it might come in handy (Just in case)
Suggest you clean it thoroughly lube it properly, sight it in for a useful distance, re-clean/re-lube, then consider buying some high-quality magazines before those are tough to find--as perhaps banned.

Shooting your firearm in order to properly sight it in, and to test various brands of ammo will likely reveal any faults, and allow possible return to Ruger for service in the unlikely event such service is needed. Strongly suggest NOT making any irreversible mods to your rifle because Ruger takes a very dim view of user-made modifications, and if a trip back to Ruger proves necessary, return the firearm to original state before doing so.

Find some decent way to carry a useful number of mags on your person so that they are easily accessible--your pockets are not a "decent" way to carry mags. Magazines are considered "expendable" items by the Mil, as some inevitably get lost and/or damaged. Suggest you buy more mags than you think you will need in order to have spares. Suggest you consult appropriate sub-forums on ar15.com for info on magazines and ways to carry them.

Consider a decent "quick-adjust" 2-point sling and learn how to use it. Blue Force Gear offers the Vickers sling, and other companies offer similar products. This video will give you some excellent sling info:

If your rifle will accept a bayonet, consider obtaining one. While most will not be making any bayonet charges, most bayonets make for decent field knives. Typical M-7 bayonet and M-10 scabbard ensemble ought not be terribly expensive. M-10 scabbard can be mounted on most belts and on MOLLE/PALS surfaces by using a MOLLE "K-Bar" adaptor, available for cheap.

500 rds of ammo is what many users would consider a "good beginniing". Suggest you try out different brands of ammo, and stock up on those which seem to be the most accurate.

Strongly suggest storing ammo in airtight .50 cal ammo cans, along with a little "can" (kinda the size of a pack of cigarettes) of dessicant. Wal Mart has them online.

As you discovered, most decently-made firearms can be a pretty good investment. Some are not. As with decently made firearms, it mostly depends on condition and scarcity.

All best wishes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts