Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, all I do is spray on a little CLP, scrub with a toothbrush and then hit it with the airgun. Quick wipe over with a cloth, all done.
It has cut my cleaning time in half.
Anyone else ?

Reactions: Randy Mc

·
Registered
129 Posts
air

I put a compressor in my gun room about two weeks ago , and I agree this makes life much easier for cleaning , maintenance and repairs.

Reactions: Randy Mc

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Do not forget to regularly bleed out the water that condenses in the tank. My tank has a petcock valve that drains the water buildup. Do not want to blow moisture into the gun we just cleaned. I always wear protective glasses when using compressed air. A wise old gunsmith told me this years ago so I cannot claim these as my great ideas.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do not forget to regularly bleed out the water that condenses in the tank. My tank has a petcock valve that drains the water buildup. Do not want to blow moisture into the gun we just cleaned. I always wear protective glasses when using compressed air. A wise old gunsmith told me this years ago so I cannot claim these as my great ideas.
Thanks for the tip. ;)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
There have been more air compressors in my family's various garages than cars. To us it's just as much a standard tool to have around as a screw driver or hammer.

I can't imagine cleaning my guns without one.

(draining the tank it a good hint. You may wish to install a 1/4 turn valve to make it easier)

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(draining the tank it a good hint. You may wish to install a 1/4 turn valve to make it easier)
It has one underneath.
My brother also told me to decompress the tank if not using for an extended period.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Draining the tank is important, but mainly for the life of the tank. A moisture trap or dessicant filter after leaving the tank will make things much better. If just using for firearm cleaning, a small inline filter designed for paint spray guns will do the job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: I Bought Myself A Compressor

What model would you recommend to buy for a small home workshop?

Would be using this compressor to blow off cleaned bolts, springs, receivers etc ? NOT for everyday use, just a few times a month.

TK

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Draining the tank is important, but mainly for the life of the tank. A moisture trap or dessicant filter after leaving the tank will make things much better. If just using for firearm cleaning, a small inline filter designed for paint spray guns will do the job.
Good idea, I'll look out for an inline filter.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
How about compressed air in a can? Powerful enough?
I just helped a buddy clean a gun and that's all he had. I didn't think it was much better than I could do with a strong straw.

Note: If you're going to buy a compressor try to get one bigger than 2 gallons. With less than that I always run out in the middle of the job and have to wait on the compressor. Right now I have this monster from a construction company that I rebuilt. It's VERY loud and vibrates itself all around the garage floor. But for the most part I only have to charge it up once per gun and I hate it when I forget to turn it off overnight.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
I just helped a buddy clean a gun and that's all he had. I didn't think it was much better than I could do with a strong straw.

Note: If you're going to buy a compressor try to get one bigger than 2 gallons. With less than that I always run out in the middle of the job and have to wait on the compressor. Right now I have this monster from a construction company that I rebuilt. It's VERY loud and vibrates itself all around the garage floor. But for the most part I only have to charge it up once per gun and I hate it when I forget to turn it off overnight.
Mine is a 30 gallon which is medium size. It cranks up to 180 psi but I turn the outlet down to about 120 psi so I get a lot of use out of it before it cranks up again. Most air tools will only take 120 psi and if you go higher it can break them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The little petcock on the bottom of the tank will eventually fail, either it will rust or plug solid with debris or you will bust the ears off or...

Replace it for the few bucks and few fittings and put that valve in a more accessible place, it's a life saver and will make it much much easier for you to drain the tank and therefore you will do it more often which will prolong your tank life.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,519 Posts
I still have a Craftsman air compressor that I bought at least 30 years ago. It has a 15 gallon tank and will pump up to 150 psi. When cleaning guns, I set the regulator to 30 psi. That's plenty pressure ... more pressure may dislodge springs or other parts ... never to be seen again! Besides, it's much safer with lower pressure ... otherwise powder pucky and solvent will end up in your eyes.

What I do is hose down the gun's action with Hoppie's #9. Let it sit for a few minutes so the solvent can dissolve the crud then give it a blast with compressed air. When finished, every nook and cranny is totally clean. Besides ending up with a clean gun, my shop has that wonderful smell of Hoppie's for several hours.

My compressor has two hind wheels and a front handle with the drain petcock on the bottom. One time I was wheeling the compressor from point A to point B and got the petcock hung up on a door threshold. It sounded like a rocket being launched!!! Of course I had to replace the cheap broken petcock so I bought a much more sturdy 1/4 turn petcock. Besides rusting the inside of the tank, I really don't want to blow humid air into my guns so I drain the tank frequently. I'm always surprised on how much water accumulates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.