Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back, my wife was gifted a set of those vintage shotgun shell boxes; the miniature ones. She suggested we make a shadow box and wondered if I could make a miniature shotgun so I did. She carved a couple of little duck decoys, made some miniature shotgun shells and put it all together, turned out pretty cool I think!

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,554 Posts
That is amazing! It looks fabulous all together. Your mini shotgun is a perfect replica. I would be so proud to have that hanging in my man cave. Congratulations on a great job.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is cool! Is that the actual wood grain on the buttstock, or paint?
It's the actual wood grain...from a scrap of black walnut. The gun is patterned after a Winchester Model 12...in fact, the buttpad is ground down from a pad that had hardened so I replaced it on one of my model 12's, so the buttpad is about as authentic as I could make it! : )

·
Premium Member
13,873 Posts
That is truly a work of art and masterpiece!

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the compliments, we appreciate it! And of course, we had a bunch of old .22 ammo boxes so decided to build a companion shadow box with a rimfire. This one is patterned after a Remington M514 (my first rifle!). I made the bolt/handle out of a nail and it actually cycles. Wife made the magazines from original American Rifleman magazines dated in the 50's. It's a fun little project!

·
Righteous Dude
21,522 Posts
It's the actual wood grain...from a scrap of black walnut. The gun is patterned after a Winchester Model 12...in fact, the buttpad is ground down from a pad that had hardened so I replaced it on one of my model 12's, so the buttpad is about as authentic as I could make it! : )
I am totally impressed. Well done!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work. Did you do the metal work by casting melted down used bullets shot from the real gun?
No...I cheated. I had some scrap aluminum and a dremel tool. Couple hours of shaping parts and putting it together. The buttstock is actually screwed into the reciever; minus the fasteners I used, theres only 10 parts to make for the shotgun and 9 parts in the .22. The barrel/mag tube is round stock and the rest is mostly little scrap from other projects. The shape of the trigger on the shotgun is wrong but I got lazy and didn't want to redo it. Wife suggested that I make them fully functional but reloading those tiny shotgun shells seems like too much work. Might make a good horse fly gun though..

·
Registered
288 Posts
One word.........Great

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,717 Posts
This model builder salutes you!

That looks like 1/3 scale, so it’s twice the size needed for a vintage G.I. Joe, retired from all his adventures or military duty (I love both eras of 60s/70s GI Joe) to go duckhunting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts