1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
OMG! OMG! Drinking from the hose the horror of it. Playing ball and riding bikes without helmets and in the street! Playing baseball and one team really wins.
Boy I miss the good ole days. Today's kids have no idea what they missed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've seen that before . Kids today don't even get out and play anymore . I see a group of neighborhood kids paly basketball a few times a week late in the evening . That's it , no one else .

·
Registered
252 Posts
And this does not even come close to showing everything we did on the farm.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
And this does not even come close to showing everything we did on the farm.
Amen to that! Shovelin' 56!t when it was necessary...operating equipment...actually 'workin' for a livin' etc.!

We try to have our kids do these things...but no everyone in our neighborhood does! Our kids are not 'glued' to a TV screen (or ipad screen either) all the time...they have to go outside and play regularly! (They get screen time...but only on occasion!)

I like my forums (on 2) but that's about it...I'm not even on Facebook as much as I'm on forums...

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Thanks Blue!
In doing out best to make things better and easier for our children, we deprived them of the "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat"
Think of all the things we did and learned that our children will never have the opportunity to experience.
Very sad.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Kids nowadays and even back then would never make it in my lifestyle when I was a kid. I was only 11 when I served 6 months in Juvie. :D Kids who had sheltered lives need not apply to my post.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
Wow! It sure feels good to recall those days. In my own little way, I let my kids "be kids." Allowing them time with their grandparents surely helped.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Blue!
In doing out best to make things better and easier for our children, we deprived them of the "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat"
Think of all the things we did and learned that our children will never have the opportunity to experience.Very sad.
Exactly abarrena, definitely to their detriment, whether they realize it or not. We've made it to easy for them. All the experiences they've missed, that to us, were the great life lessons of real-life learning that can never be equaled by electronic devices. I wouldn't trade my childhood, with all the scrapes, cuts and bruises for anything.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting the video. It sure brings back wonderful memories of my childhood.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
OMG! OMG! Drinking from the hose the horror of it. Playing ball and riding bikes without helmets and in the street! Playing baseball and one team really wins.
Boy I miss the good ole days. Today's kids have no idea what they missed.
We used to EVEN drink from the spring fed creek in the woods, camped out there also, ( with BEARS and everything,) . Chewed sassafras root, ate wild leeks, WITHOUT WASHING THEM !! :eek: We climbed tall tree's and caught trout and roasted them on a stick over DIRTY firewood. We even used to have cow patty and rotten apple battles. And the most dangerous thing, we went sled riding down a big steep hill with a barb wire fence at the bottom.

I DONT SEE HOW WE MANAGED TO SURVIVE. :confused:

BUT IT SURE WAS FUN,,,, :D

·
Banned
365 Posts
Ahh, the good old days.

I actually had to DO CHORES and EARN AN ALLOWANCE so I could pay for things I wanted.

God help me, but my father and uncle taught me how to shoot pistols and rifles when I was 8, along with PROPER gun safety and maintenance.

I ate fresh venison from my first deer that night, cooked right at camp. The horror today of killing an animal and eating it today!

Rode bikes in the middle of the road with no helmet, played sports where one team one and one lost, did so many things today's wouldn't even think of doing, or their helicopter parents even letting them do.

Thanks, now I feel old again.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
How did the generation in that video raise a generation of wussies? The kids now are a bunch of wimps and spoiled brats. They have no social skills, they can't deal with issues of life as mom does everything for them, can't think for themselves, they are lazy, can't go outside as there are germs out there and no A/C.

No wonder the demonrats are taking over.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for the memories. Today I celebrate my 70th birthday, so I do remember all of those things and then some.
As I look back today, I do not regret anything I have done, however I do regret, NOT doing some things.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ken M And this does not even come close to showing everything we did on the farm.
I never had a dollar I didn't earn with pride ... :).

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I tried to instill in my four children the values my parents taught me. I have to think it worked for them because they are married successful adults that still value the family unit and their children are learning those same values. It is the parents that have to bear most of the responsibility for the children of today. Good parents equals good children!

·
Registered
856 Posts
These are the good-ole-days for someone.

Depressing, isn't it!

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ken M And this does not even come close to showing everything we did on the farm.
I never had a dollar I didn't earn with pride ... :).
Amen Axiom, I lived and worked on farms a good portion of my life, and the things we did, just everyday things on the farm, would horrify todays parents and kids.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've seen that before . Kids today don't even get out and play anymore . I see a group of neighborhood kids paly basketball a few times a week late in the evening . That's it , no one else .
I'm really glad I live in the devlopment where I am. My wife and I are always walk our dog in the evening. We always see the kids in the neighbourhood playing outside. It's really heartwarming.

On top of that, they have seen us around to feel comfortable enough to come say hi and pet our dog. The parents are around (for the younger kids) and they just smile and come on over as well. No crazy helicopter parent, no one calling the cops on us for being child molsters just for talking to their kids (you may think I'm crazy, google that ****, you'll be infuriated).

I live in the suburbs 30 minutes North of Philadelphia BTW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts