Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i was thinking about getting a new gun, but i only have 300 bucks to spend. i was hoping for any ideas. I already own a Marlin model 60, Winchester 94, and a SP101 Kit gun. all i can think of that costs less than 300 bucks is a Mosin Nagant, a Ruger 10-22, and maybe a ar15 stiped lower and a lower parts kit. I can't decide. If anyone can think of something else let me know. ( i can't save anymore because if i do it'll get spent on black friday lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got a similar dilemma. I want a reliable little knock around rifle for plinking & small game, something that I can put in a lot of trigger time and not spend a fortune for ammo. At first I was set on a 10/22, then after some online browsing I was considering a Savage MK II because I heard so many good things about out of the box accuracy, now I'm leaning back towards the Ruger because of customization options and I love to tinker... I guess only time will tell.

I agree with TMB about shotguns being had for that price. I picked up a nicely used, older 870 Wingmaster at a gun show last year, out the door for just under $300. I'd imagine you could probably find a new Mossberg for about that as well. Never hurts to have a good scatter gun in the safe. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A basic Remington 870 is in the upper end of that range (~$325), but it's an excellent, versatile firearm. Definitely worth a look. I also second the recommendation of a Henry .22 Lever Action. Tons of fun, & ammo is dirt cheap. And of course you can't really go wrong w/ a 10/22. Fun, & endlessly customizable. There's also the Ruger LCP at right around $300, if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The 10/22 is the Ruger counterpart to the Marlin 60, so you might want to explore another type of 22 if you're thinking 22 rifle. That price will get you one of the 22/45s if you want to go pistol or, as others have posted a Henry lever.

I'd also explore used guns, but only if you know your guns well enough to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Ditto NC Gal.....In my neck of the woods you could get two marlin model 60's for three bills. The 795 is also a dandy little marlin if you like the detachable mag and goes for around $149 around here.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
As others have mentioned, I have a lever-action Henry 22 that I really enjoy shooting.
And they are made in the USA.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I 4th the opinion on the Henry. Great little gun. If I was you, I'd get a Mosin and a lot of surplus ammo!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I don't think i want a shotgun because i don't really have anywhere to shoot one. i like the henry but i don't really like tube fed 22s i was looking at the 1022 because has really good mags and a lot of aftermarket options. I am interested in handguns and was looking at the mark 3 standard and beretta neos. Are the neos any good? As for the use of the gun it is mostly for short range fun and if needed defense. ( although i have a 357 and a 30-30 already so defense is questionable unless i get a Mosin....bayonets are cool ^_^)
I almost forgot but ammo price is a pretty big issue so 22s are really nice. How much does 7.62x54r cost? Generally anything that costs more than 30-30 or preferably 357 is a no no.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I don't think i want a shotgun because i don't really have anywhere to shoot one. i like the henry but i don't really like tube fed 22s i was looking at the 1022 because has really good mags and a lot of aftermarket options. I am interested in handguns and was looking at the mark 3 standard and beretta neos. Are the neos any good? As for the use of the gun it is mostly for short range fun and if needed defense. ( although i have a 357 and a 30-30 already so defense is questionable unless i get a Mosin....bayonets are cool ^_^)
I almost forgot but ammo price is a pretty big issue so 22s are really nice. How much does 7.62x54r cost?
One look at the guns in my signature and you can tell what I think of the Ruger Standard/Mark. Not that the Neos is a bad gun, in any way, but a Ruger Mark is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to destroy and there are few guns that shoot so well, so easily, right out of the box.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My great grandfather had a ruger standard that we still have today and i really liked it although cleaning it was.....interesting considering it hasn't been cleaned in most likely 50 years, but i got it apart and together easy enough. If only the mark 3s didn't have that evil satanic mag safety and the twos had a regular mag release and not that weird magazine clip release thing....am i being to picky?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts