Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1
My son was interested in one of these and we were looking at it in the gun shop. Pretty neat, small, lightweight, "kit gun" kinda firearm. He was also lusting after the basic Mark III "standard" with the fixed sights and tapered barrel.

But... I don't understand what the Lite version really "is". Through all the holes and ports in the gun you can see a thin, stainless steel barrel in there. So, it's just a big aluminum structure that houses a really thin barrel?? :confused:

When you shoot it a lot, doesn't that extremely thin barrel heat up and really affect accuracy?

And how do you clean inside of there? It looks like it would be a safe haven for gunk and grime and impossible to clean.

If you're looking for something small and lightweight, I kinda keep wondering why the standard taper-barrel model isn't superior to this Lite thing.

Yes, I understand it's threaded on the end, but I'm not interested in a suppressor, so that's irrelevant to me.

Banned
The aluminum barrel shroud acts as a heat sink for the liner barrel. It'll cool faster than an equivalently sized all steel barrel. It also heats up slower and cools faster than any taper barrel MKII.

It's not difficult to clean. Not much really gets down in the vent holes, and a quick whisk with an old toothbrush takes out any dust that might sneak in there. It's cleaner than any M1a or M1 garand or AR-15 ever was under the heat shield on top of the barrel, and for that matter, just as clean or cleaner than any free floated rifle has ever been.

Registered
If you're shooting that much that quickly to make enough heat to greatly effect accuracy, accuracy isn't a concern. Ppl get far too concerned about heat and it's effect. If you're honestly shooting for performance you're not shooting in a manner that'll create the substantial temperature required to make enough that'll effect performance enough to make the shooter notice or really matter. For what the pistol is designed and intended for, it's not at an olympic level so again, the fractionally minute effects any heat would have would be moot. If such teeny tiny variables in performance is a factor, you're looking at the wrong pistol (and brand) anyways.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #4
It's not difficult to clean. Not much really gets down in the vent holes, and a quick whisk with an old toothbrush takes out any dust that might sneak in there. It's cleaner than any M1a or M1 garand or AR-15 ever was under the heat shield on top of the barrel, and for that matter, just as clean or cleaner than any free floated rifle has ever been.
Thanks. Can you do a total disassembly and remove the small barrel from the aluminum frame entirely?

Registered
FeralCat-

I'm of the same thinking as you. I don't get then either. Personally I find them ugly and any color other than black looks like a toy space gun made for children.
The 22/45 has always seemed to have many more FTF and FTE than all the MK series pistols. At least that is what I see from reading this forum. I think when Ruger made the change to the angle of the grip they never got the mag well right or something.
Anyway, I and two friends have had our Standard and Mk2 models for many years of trouble free accurate shooting. None of us have had any issues at all with the well built well designed Ruger originals. I think you are asking for trouble with the 22/45 and the lite model is just fluff.

Registered
I bought my 22/45 for competition. The light weight helps me transition from one target to the next quickly, the rail can be used to mount optics (I still use open sights on mine), and there are a ton of options to improve gun performance.

I had some problems with the occasional ftf up until approximately 1,000 rounds. The 22/45
now often goes around 1,000 rounds with no malfunctions, and my 22/45 is now approaching 10,000 round count. It has performed well for me.

I expect that this pistol will still be running just as good in three years when I expect to have maybe a 20,000 round count.

I think the 22/45 will not appeal to everyone, which is why Ruger offers so many models.

Registered
I think when Ruger made the change to the angle of the grip they never got the mag well right or something.
The mag engages the barreled action at the same angle as the MkIII. The grip just covers the mag differently. . All the recent manufactured mkIII series pistols are experiencing the same technical issues. After a break in period they all seem to be fine.
Handle both versions pick the one that feels good in your hands. There is a good reason why the LITE's are popular in the competition events. They are quicker on target because of their weight.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I personally don't mind the 22/45 frame angle.

I had a heavy bull barrel Mark II 22/45 once, and never had a problem at all. Sold it during one of the more pronounced Obama-inspired panics for a very tidy profit, in order to buy a stainless Bearcat. I wanted a lighter kit gun that could fire various .22 exotica such as CCI snake shot, CB shorts, etc.

Was just curious about cleaning in there, total disassembly, and the nature of that super thin barrel.

Registered
I got a 22/45 because it aims, feels and has the grip angle of a 1911. It works great to practice with at a much lower cost than my RIA 1911 in 9mm. The gun shoots reliably and accurately.

Registered
I got a 22/45 because it aims, feels and has the grip angle of a 1911. It works great to practice with at a much lower cost than my RIA 1911 in 9mm. The gun shoots reliably and accurately.

Exactly. This is the real reason the 22/45 Lite exists. If you want a target pistol then you want a longer barrel. The Lite is for that substantial market that wants a 22 practice gun with a 1911 grip.

Registered
Thanks.

Was just curious about cleaning in there, total disassembly, and the nature of that super thin barrel.
That thin barrel is under tension like the Dan Wesson revolver barrels. It is supposed to be helpful in aiding accuracy. Ruger does not recommend taking it apart as it is torqued in place with a special tool.

Registered
I have a 22/45 Lite that I always take when we go to the desert shooting, it is easier handling than my MKIII I guess because of the weight. I don't think it is anymore accurate than the MKIII but I can always install an optic which is a plus

Registered
I bought a Tactical Solutions upper for one of my 22/45s and two weeks later saw that Ruger started advertising their new Lite model. Their first one that came out was gold and odd looking to me and the current ones with fish gills and others with holes drilled into the aluminum all look like novelties. The only one I think I like is their, I think, 2nd model which only has the black fluted barrel. Now they also have horizontal oval holes and any color of the rainbow. I think TacSol must have been selling too many of their barrels for Rugers liking and they need to try to put a end to them losing so many potential sales.

Registered
The black fluted one is what I have and I agree that I don't get the other colors. I guess when they made the technical decision to have the vents they must have decided that the black with vents didn't look good and that the other colors offset the barrel underneath or something.

Registered
I've got 3. The black, blue and, light gold. No difference in form or function. I put on each one:
Hammer bushing to eliminate bolt lock open
Volquartson sear
Polished sear and hammer
Polished return spring at the "stirrup" to ease disassembly/assembly
Polished top and front pin on mainspring to ease disassembly/assembly
Polished return spring guide rod
Polished feed ramp lightly
Removed burrs on magazine and polished thumb pin

It's amazing what a few minutes with the Dremel can do to improve fit and function. Of course since these are my 4th, 5th and 6th MarkXXX-22/45, I have had a little practice tweaking these Rugers.

I have one problem though, since I got my HTA suppressor, I can't load the mags quick enough when my Wife and I go out in the backyard and start shooting "steels". Oh well, it doesn't get much better than this!

Later
Neil S.

Registered
I own two, which are purely practice pistols. Based on past experience I knew to clean the gun before using. When I went to the range I had a few malfunctions, which I then realized were caused by the magazines, which also needed cleaning. Since then I can go to the range and fire several hundred rounds and not have a problem. Cleaning is no more of an issue than it is with any of the non-LITE models.

As for all the colors, Ruger has found that they can increase sales by coming out with new models. As a result, when something is working they will produce a variant they think might work as well. 10/22s have been around for 50 years. A few years back they produced the TD and that did well, so that has spun off variants of the TD, while also starting a flow of other TD models. The same thing goes on with the Ruger Mark pistols. The first ones came out in 1949. It has a bunch of variants. The LITE came out a few years ago and found a niche. Now it is getting colors and minor changes similar to what is going on with the 10/22TD.

There are so many firearms, and variants of successful models, on the market, that there is no need to "get" any particular model. If someone likes it, then it will sell. Personally, I use mine for cheap range time and probably don't get what someone else likes.

Registered
There are so many firearms, and variants of successful models, on the market, that there is no need to "get" any particular model. If someone likes it, then it will sell. Personally, I use mine for cheap range time and probably don't get what someone else likes.
This right here. I don't "get" lots of gun fads, but that doesn't keep them from happening. As far as the Lite, well it IS light, looks somewhat tactical and the colors are different. And if nothing else, Ruger knows all the Ruger "collectors" will buy one of anything they come out with, so why not.

I bought mine to put a can on. The color was of no significance.....just the one the store had

Registered
I started many years ago with a Mark II Target. I still have it. It weighs 42 oz. After buying my first rimfire suppressor, I wanted a threaded Ruger Mark something with adjustable sights. The 22/45 LITE had just been announced(Gold), so I bought one. I love it. Its just as accurate as my Mark II, has the same controls, came threaded, and after mounting an optic, and my suppressor, it still weighs less than my Mark II.

I now have quite a few threaded pistols, but my LITE is my favorite. Its retired now, because I feel its collectible, but my go to pistol is a 22/45 PAC-LITE. I also have a steel threaded 22/45, but I prefer the light 22/45s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts