Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking off and on for a while I finally got a sr 1911. I came close to one several months back at a lgs and was ready to put it on layaway, then found out it was already sold but someone there accidently put it out. I was looking on gunbroker a few weeks ago and found one with a buy it now price of $699. I didnt hesitate to grab it. The seller had a shop that was close by so I drove to get it last friday. Wow this gun is a good shooter. This is my first time ever with a 1911 and a 45. My only complaint with it is the soft case. I dont think ive ever heard anyone talk about it ,but it wouldve been nice if it came in a hard plastic case instead. Its not really a big deal though as I had a nice hard plano case here for it that I only gave $10 for. Ive been wanting to get into reloading and now thanks to this gun I really need to so a I afford to shoot it more. Can anyone tell me if this gun likes tula ammo. I tried some in my p95 and it seemed ok other than being dirty. Here is a pic of the gun and the first target I shot with it. I think I done ok being new to a 45. I was standing around 15 -20 feet from it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats on the SR1911. I am also in the market for one. Your liking of the gun makes me want one even more. I hear nothing but good stories about them.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Sure hope Ruger makes a California variant of this pistol someday. With gun sales the way they are, not very likely I guess. Ruger is making so much money selling what they make now I doubt they are motivated to cater to the whims of the People's Republic.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I work part time in a gun shop, we have had three SR1911 on order since March. Got one in the other day very quality gun. As good as any Kimber I've seen and it cost 1/2 as much.

Jerry

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations.
Had one since February, hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have seen one, heck held it in my hands, at a LGS. Think he had it priced reasonable, under the $799 I've seen on another LGS site, $719?. Nice, but being a lefty, I do wish Ruger had gone the extra step and added the ambi safety as standard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice group you have there. What was the load? I am still working with my SR1911 but am on hold as I sent it back to ruger to adress an accessive raised line on the slide face that was denting the case back.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the SR1911 gang. Yes, a great shooter indeed.

As to the lack of hard case - I really found I didn't keep any of my pistols in the hard case they came in. I have been getting the little hard plastic gun cases by MTM or Plano - the ones with the egg crate foam in them. I feel they do a better job of protecting the finish of the gun than the OEM ones.

I usually get ones that are just large enough for the pistol and a few mags. I have been labeling the cases with a Brother label maker and when I open the gun safe, I can just grab the one I want.

Enjoy your new 45!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the SR1911 Club!

Got mine last September! What a sweet shooter Ruger has put together...

Good luck with yours and happy shootin' :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
I actually like the soft case. I leave it in my truck safe for those times I have to disarm and lock it up. The hard case would not fit and besides, it is usually in my holster, as it is what I carry the lions share of the time.

I have not used Tula ammo in anything so I cannot speak to that. Since July of '11 I have fired a lot of different ammo from white box to Ranger T, factory to hand loads and it has eaten everything without fail.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I had to wait and search quite a bit to get a SR1911 too. But, it was certainly worth the wait.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Welcome & congrats on picking a winner... Obviously Santa came early this year...
I love mine & it's a great shooter...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Just tested my over the weekend w/ the Russian metal amos from Wally. That thing ate all 50 rds w/o any issue. Got to Love SR1911.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I Just tested my over the weekend w/ the Russian metal amos from Wally. That thing ate all 50 rds w/o any issue. Got to Love SR1911.
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Good to see another SR1911 owner also.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts