Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local gun show this weekend and picked up 98% Stainless 2.75" Security Six for $268+tax. It looks almost new except for 2 small scratches on the left side of the frame and a small nick on the right side of the grip. It also has a faint line on the cylinder!

I have been searching for a snubbie Speed or Security Six for ~ 6 months. I kept finding well used blue sixes in the low $300 range. I held off because I really wanted a SS model since this will be my primary hiking/camping/ccw revolver.

I will post a pics and a range report in the future. I expect good things at the range since the trigger is REAL smooth. Truthfully it is the equal of my two P&R N frame S&W's!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal. I would love to find one like that at that price. PM Iowegan for a copy of his excellent Ruger DA tune-up instructions. It's written for the GP100 but the six line is very close internally so the instructions are easy to apply. A couple of hours polishing the right places made a big difference in mine. Looking forward to some pics.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
wnycollector, What a smokin' deal! In my area, Security-Sixes are scarce, especially in short barrels so you could add $100 here. In my opinion, you got one of the very best snubbys ever made. Strong enough for lots of practice without worry of wearing out. Small enough to conceal well yet carry 6 rounds. The scratches come out pretty easy with 3M gray Scotch-Brite pads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have vacillated between a trying to find a S&W 65 3" and the security/police snubs. I wanted the Ruger mainly because of the way it is overbuilt and I wanted a Ruger for my collection.

I don't think I am going to play with the trigger since it is pretty good right now.

Since I do not reload, I plan on calling Mike over at double tap and picking up another box of 200gr flat points. I go camping in black bear country (The UP of MI) and always like to have some extra added protection;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Very nice and I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we look forward to seeing the pics. Eye-Candy is greatly appreciated around these parts. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is the lowly blue one, but I still like it. It is my only wheelie. With full power .357's it is a fire breathing dragon!

·
Registered
292 Posts
What a good deal!! I had a Security Six I sold to my brother. Bad Move. He will not sell it back. I replaced it with a GP and a SP. Still would like the SEcurity Six.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
congrats on a fine revolver and a great deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
terry_P thanks for the info and the link.

At the same gun show I got my snubbie security six at, there were two other 4" sixes for $275. I really nice SS 4" police six and an 80-85% blue security six. The guys are regular vendors at local gun shows so if anyone is interested I will get their contact info so you can buy from them directly. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got back from the range with my new snubbie Security Six...WOW WHAT A GREAT LITTLE REVOLVER! I just put 100 .38 swc's and 50 Fiocchi 142gr fmj .357's. The gun shot POA with the .357's and ~2" low with the .38's.

I shot at ranges from 10-25yards, both DA and SA, rapid fire and slow fire...this gun can shoot! Just for the hell of it I taped 3 clays up at 50 yards, and rested the gun on a sandbag. I fired 1 shot SA and missed...but then broke all the clays with the next three shots!!!

I think the the 2.75" Ruger Sixes may just be the most perfect carry revolver of all time!

When I clean it up I will post pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Am envious

I have a stainless 4" security six and have been looking for a good security six snubbie for years. Not easy to find at anything approaching a reasonable price.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just got back from the range with my new snubbie Security Six...WOW WHAT A GREAT LITTLE REVOLVER! I just put 100 .38 swc's and 50 Fiocchi 142gr fmj .357's. The gun shot POA with the .357's and ~2" low with the .38's.

I shot at ranges from 10-25yards, both DA and SA, rapid fire and slow fire...this gun can shoot! Just for the hell of it I taped 3 clays up at 50 yards, and rested the gun on a sandbag. I fired 1 shot SA and missed...but then broke all the clays with the next three shots!!!

I think the the 2.75" Ruger Sixes may just be the most perfect carry revolver of all time!

When I clean it up I will post pics.
I bought one just yesterday. I had to pay more than you, but it did come a couple of useless holsters
and a couple boxes of Gold dots. I am just happy to have one so it was worth it.

I have still have not shot it, maybe Monday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first pistol was a used 150 prefix Security Six .357 4" blue bought used in the late 1970's for $95. Recently I picked up a 4" stainless for $275- a bargain.

They are great revolvers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts