1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RUG KSP-321X-LG 357 2.25

vs

RUG KSP-321XL 357 FS SS 2.25

I'm in the market for something smaller than my Taurus .44C 2" and as I have owned the Taurus 605 in .357 mag, and I loved its nice little conceal fit and carry. I love the .44 Spl/Mag but that is my woods/trail gun.

So I will be checking out the market again, and I'm not really sure if I want to go back into semi auto's again... have grown to love the wheel gun again. And the nice thing about the .357 mag is that I can get speed strips which fit much flatter in my pockets than speed loaders do.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Those are two tuff choices--just wonder what the recoil with a .357 would be like with the laser grip compared to ruger's grip.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
either would be great I would go with the lazer grips if it were me.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I want to get lasergrips for my Bodyguard-can see the advantage-if the old poker-players had had 'em...lots more under-the-table shoots would have been fatal...they just make all kinds of sense on any handgun...I'd not put a light, radio, or a/c on a handgun, but that gizmo would be worth the $$ if you needed it just once....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

I want to get lasergrips for my Bodyguard-can see the advantage-if the old poker-players had had 'em...lots more under-the-table shoots would have been fatal...they just make all kinds of sense on any handgun...I'd not put a light, radio, or a/c on a handgun, but that gizmo would be worth the $$ if you needed it just once....
Ah sheepdog I was hoping to get the ac option so it could really keep things cool in my pocket :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If'n you practice your quickdraw with it loaded, it could put the fire out completely and it wouldn't be a problem!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After handling both of these today, they still weigh in at around 27 oz and I am looking for something much lighter. I'm not interested in recoil factor, I realize the lighter the gun the more felt recoil you are going to have... but I really liked this little S&W Airweight that I handled today at 17 oz

So we will continue to shop around.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Naw, they ain't heavy. This ones heavy, toughest part is getting the darned "Deuce1/2" backed up next to the bar. Never felt under-gunned though.... [8D]

·
Registered
880 Posts
JB....

Have carried "hammerless" and "semi-hammerless" lightweight revolvers off-duty for years. Much can be said for the ease of carry and handling.

Find a good load and practice with it, keeping in mind the limitations of the beast. Personally, I don't have an issue with 'em...but I've always liked to shoot small revolvers.

As you know, Smith make several variants, as does Taurus, with an impressive warranty as well. And, if you can find one...won't be cheap nor plus + rated...a Colt Agent or Cobra with the factory shroud.

These little guns just plain carry well. And folks just trust a revolver, still. Most guys that I know...and gals...just reach fer' a "J" frame naturally, when goin' somewhere. You can stick one of these things 'bout anywhere!

All that said...I did have a DAO 101 for a while....great shooter, typical Ruger "built like a rock" but, just not comfortable to carry under certain circumstances. Did make a super "bedpost pistol", tho!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found me one of these, which I will pick up in a few days. Nice light weight of 17 oz and even rated for Plus P loads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A related note. Buffalo Bore recently released a standard pressure 38 special 158gr LHP load that performs similar to the +P stuff we're used to. And their +P is a real handful. These loads reportedly use a new powder to achieve the higher velocities.

Now I will admit that I would get these only if I had a 38 snub that I liked that wasn't rated for +P and I wasn't willing to use them in moderation regardless. The older Colts come to mind (being able to use them vs collector value....)

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
JB that's a good looking gun. Nice lines. I like that little detail in the front of the grip, where the checkerboard comes in to a point opposite the point on the grip itself. If that makes sense.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
+1 on the SP for bed-post carry. It is a little heavy compared to the other brands for ccw, but none of the other brands can come close to the frame strength of an SP. I also like the slightly heavier revolver when shooting .357s.

I keep my SP near the bed as this is the only firearm the wife is comfortable shooting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got to admit, the S&W 642 really is the perfect "pocket" revolver in a Mika holster. I did, just two days ago, order a GP100 three inch barrel through Gemini Customs...they are going to make me a fine "Battle" revolver. But again...I think the light weight 642 really has the market on the pocket revolver.

·
Registered
880 Posts
JB...

Great choice! Bet ya' luv it!

Dawgfvr..."T"-grip looks good...I use, and have used them on certain guns for many years. I'll always like 'em, I guess.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thankye...it is a new 642 and has the "Hillary Hole". I thought I might spruce it up with the wood/tyler grip...mixing the old and the new. Purchased the vintage wood J frame grips and well used tyler grip at a recent gun show. Together they cost me $35...gotta love those gun shows.

Now, I have a set of Crimson Trace LG-105 that I have used once...seemed cool at the time, but ya know, I think the vintage grip has found a home.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a pic of my S&W 637 and Tauras 44C side by side and as you can see the thinness of the S&W Airweight wins out over bulk and weight for CC purposes. I will say the S&W carries like a dream as there is a noticable differance in the weight of both of these.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts