Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Picked Up a Cool Little .22 Pistol Today

When I was young, I had a Jennings J22. I never could get it to shoot more than 3 rounds at a time, before it was jammed. I had a Stainless Mark II Target at the time also, so I sold the Jennings and never looked back. I have thought about that little pistol, from time to time, thinking how great a reliable 22 pistol of that size would be. I decided I would like to have another 22 micro pistol, so the search was on. I found the Beretta 21a, and the Taurus PT-22. I know there are others, but decided that one of the two mentioned pistols would be what I would end up with, since they are both from major manufacturers, and because I was intrigued by the "Tip Up" barrel design. I read reviews of each, and was disappointed that neither had a stellar reputation as far as reliable functioning. Then I stumbled onto the Taurus PLY-22. It is a redesign of the PT-22 with a polymer frame. It has an 8 shot magazine, a manual safety, a magazine disconnect, and second strike capability. I decided from the positive reviews, that I would order one, since none of my local shops had any in stock. I got the Stainless version, and there is a blued model also. I hadnt heard from the gun shop I ordered it from for a few days, so this morning, I decided to go in and see what was happening. When I walked in, it was sitting on the counter, waiting for me. I did the paperwork and went straight to the range. When I got there, I ran a soaked patch, and then a dry patch down the barrel, and loaded up the magazine with Mini Mags. An hour later, I was very pleased. I had shot 200 rounds thru the little Taurus, and it functioned PERFECTLY. I had some other 22 ammo in the bag, so I decided to try it. I shot Remington Golden, and CCI Blazer Bulk. All shot without any failures of any kind. Total round count was 380 and no troubles at all. This little pistol is a joy... no slide to manipulate, easy to see if its loaded, very accurate at 7 yards, smooth DAO trigger, and its a looker also. I had 2 shooters come ask what I had, and to shoot it. They both were impressed, and both said they would like to own one of these little Taurus pistols. I field stripped it when I got home, and I see no signs of any wear. Sure is easy to clean the barrel. I held it all afternoon, looking at it from different angles, and enjoying the way it feels, and operates. It wont be a carry gun, simply a toy. I would never carry a 22 for Self Defense, but I guess it would make a good BUG. My wife will like it, because she wont have to rack the slide to charge it. Thats the beauty of a "Tip Up". Im getting up early tomorrow, and going back to the range, to burn some more ammo thru my new little friend.

A couple quick pictures, cause I know... No Pictures, Didnt Happen...

·
Registered
6,450 Posts

Cute little bugger! Gun World did a nice review a couple issues ago:)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
That is a nice looking pocket .22. I am glad that it has proven to be reliable and seems to handle various types of ammo. I am curious as to the accuracy with such a short barrel. How does it perform at short distances other than point blank range?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How does it perform at short distances other than point blank range?
I have only shot it at 7 yards, but I would imagine it would shoot like any other shart barrel gun at 25 yards. I saw no evidence of key holing or other stability problems. I would say it would give 8" groups at 25 yards, but that is just a guess

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The PT-22 is actually Taurus' version of the Beretta 21A, so all three guns are related to each other.

You got the best of the three, I have read in several sources that the PLY-22 was a great improvement.

I had two 21As in the recent past. Both were a constant headache with jams and misfeeds.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I own and have owned many Taurus's over the years and as we all know Taurus, as a company was once shotty at best. Today however, Taurus's are more like precision high end guns with low to mid range prices. I am now a Taurus fan (never thaught I'd say that) but they just seem to be getting better & better with each model. I use a Taurus Judge for bedside HD and two different Taurus's for SD (a 709 & 740) I also purchased a 24/7 for fun at the range and they all have been 100% reliable far surpassing any Ruger Polymer I've previously owned for both accuracy & reliability. My 24/7 consistantly produces 2" groups from 25 yards! That little .22 sure does look nice and if you can put 8 shots on paper with that tiny barrel from 25 yards, that only bolsters my statement about Taurus's accuracy. For a polymer pistol I believe Taurus is the best value you can get for your dollar. (never thaught I'd say that either!) I currently own 9 Taurus models and honestly can't say a single bad thing about any one of them so yes, you can say I'm a Taurus fan.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a couple of Taurus revolvers that I like. Both Trackers, 4" 357 and a 6.5" .22LR and they've been fine. Never tried one of their autos, but I probably should someday. I too think they've made a great effort to improve the quality of their products as well as the level of their customer service folks.

I've heard their autos are made in the U.S. which is cool, might have to try one.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I had a Beretta that the Taurus is a copy of. I recently traded it for an old S&W model 10 snubby. It worked ok. I also had a Taurus years ago that the frame cracked on and that soured me on Taurus.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
That is an interesting little gun.
I've never seen one as they are not "on the list" as legal for sale in California.

I see the tilt barrel, but how does it load the first round without racking the slide?

Also, does it have a hammer or a striker?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shot it some more today, and I learned something. First, its excellent as far as feed and eject. It has fed and ejected every single round I have loaded into it. This has been CCI Stingers, Velocitors, Mini Mags, Blazer bulk, Remington Golden, Remington Yellow Jackets and Vipers. The total round count is now 620 and it has been perfect. I had some fail to fire problems, but a second strike would always fire the cartridge. I realized that I was the cause of the misfires. I was staging the trigger, trying to get the best accuracy out of this little pistol. I think staging it, causes the hammer to not get as much energy going, to fire the round. If I pulled the trigger briskly, I never had another misfire. The gun is Double Action Only, so there is no real way to extract Single Action accuracy from it, and it wasnt designed for this. Keeping this in mind, its a great little pistol. I am very pleased with its performance.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see the tilt barrel, but how does it load the first round without racking the slide?

Also, does it have a hammer or a striker?
To load and fire, you simply insert a round directly into the chamber end of the barrel, and close the barrel. It is hammer fired. You can also load the first round in the normal way, racking the slide, but this type pistol is popular with people, who for whatever reason, dont have the hand strength to rack the slide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts